Thread: Droid Eris issues..

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Droid Eris issues..

Today I woke up this morning with my Eris turned on, and stuck at the Booth Screen with the Droids on a skateboard. I tried booting into the recovery mode, but all I got was the Exclamation mark inside of the triangle. I found out how to get past that, I did the "wipe data/factory restore" and I got nothing. I then tried to load the latest ROM through the SD card, even trying multiple ones, only to get "installation aborted". After fiddling with it for more than an hour I really don't know what to do. The phone is out of warranty, so I can't take it to the store. Has anyone else had this issue? If anyone could help me in any way it will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The screen the phone freezes at.

What I get when I try to go to restore mode

When I try to update the ROM by using the SD card

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, iPhone 5S, N5, HTC Incredible 2, Eris GB, Ozone , Moto Q9c, V750, K1m/V3m, E815
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile 4G LTE, AT&T, China Mobile HK
    Feedback Score
    Was your Eris unrooted and running OEM/Verzion ROM only? Or, was it unrooted and running a newer, customized ROM like Froyo 2.2 or still on 1.6 or 2.1 OS? Anyway, since you are out of warranty & got nothing to lose - as VZW service center will probably not do anything but to send you to sales to get a newer phone - now's the time to tap the resources of the world of XDA-Developers and rooted ROMs.

There are a number of recent posts & just in case it's not you - this particular post should help you to restore your phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1115010

Please take some time to read the General Section, Q&A and the Developer's section to become familiar & comfortable with how to do this - especially if this is new & you haven't done this at all till now - or get someone geeky to help you.

Once rooted, you can actually flash/restore to the newest factory 2.1 OS running everything "stock" but you should consider moving up to 2.2 Froyo or even 2.3 Gingerbread (and it's very stable, smooth & great on battery life these days - everything working & better than OEM)

Followed the excellent posted directions, download the files & save it, do a full reformat of your SD card (backup what's left on it to a HDD first, in case you wanted to try to recover any photos, images, downloads, ringtones, etc. accessible still - later on). Then, start with the 1 click Recovery, RUU and others - and, you should hopefully see the dancing boys again & signs of life - and once the phone boot up successfully, you might have to get it OTA activated, PRL updated & setup Google account, etc.

If all is well, you will have a better than original working phone again in an hour or two from planning to preparation to execution - the worst it could happen is that you will ruin the phone (not really, it's a bricked phone already with corrupted files & OS data/cache/dalvik, etc.) Just sit back, relax, read & have a nice cup of coffee/tea/soda/juice nearby - keep it away for "accident prevention" & keep the dog/cat/pet hamster/kids away from disrupting the process - get that USB cable ready as you will need to install the proper HTC drivers on your PC as well (if not previously donee) .... and have fun.

Good luck & do advise if you have any success, also, you should sign-up (it's free) at XDA so that you can pose questions & get access to the links, etc.

As a last resort, if you aren't ready to spend big on a new replacement or different device, pre-owned/near mint conditioned Eris on eBay are around $100 these days, not a bad deal at all - and you will get an additional charger, cable, battery & cover, etc. as part of the process. Many sellers are throwing in extras to spice up the deal - things like case, screen protector, car charger, and offer to pre-install a newer rooted 2.2 or 2.3 ROM.

Good luck !
    4G LTE & Unl. Text, Opera Mini/Skype w. WM6.5 & WiFi access, Goggle Mobile Maps/GPS. On the Job: UHF 5W Duplex HT DTMF-PL repeater (backup: 800Mhz Motorola & Nextel portables) - private 900Mhz alpha-numeric paging net for 24/7/365 Incident Command - Is your "Go" Kit ready? Mass Transit Tips: "If you see something, say something - Call 911 !"

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thank you very much!! This is very helpful! The phone is not rooted. Is there any way I can root it, without being able to get onto the phone to install the .apk file for the root? I have tried RUU, and it did not work, because the phone didn't get past the boot screen for the computer to recognize it. Thank you very much for your information.

I have always been into jailbreaking, so why not give rooting a try if I can get the phone to boot!

The phone was on Stock 2.1 OTA from Verizon

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, iPhone 5S, N5, HTC Incredible 2, Eris GB, Ozone , Moto Q9c, V750, K1m/V3m, E815
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile 4G LTE, AT&T, China Mobile HK
    Feedback Score
    From your screenshots, it seemed that you can at least boot into recovery mode (partially, anyway) and can flash files copied onto the SD card - so there is hope that the Eris really isn't bricked - just corrupted files & links, easily repaired & restore - get it rooted & flash with newer Android OS - Froyo 2.2.x or GingerBread 2.3.x

The following thread / link has a nicely written guide about how to root the phone, using the apk on the SD card, which your Eris should be able to access.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc...your-eris.html

XDA has a wiki and a full section on the Eris - everything that you needed to know & links for nearly everything needed - scroll down to the bottom & you have all the "How To's" answered - I think .... ( some of the links might be outdated, but you should be able to find it elsewhere in the XDA Eris forum)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...e:HTC_Eris.png

As for which ROM to flash once you reach that stage - xtrSense 5.x and xtrROM 5.x are both Android 2.1 based, very smooth & stable - very similar to stock, but for better overall functionality - 2.2 is probably best (FroShedYo V11 - Final Release 2.28.2011 with CM6 is what I was using for a while - before I jumped onto the GingerBread scene now with 2.3.4 CM7, but maybe a bit too advanced with 95% reliability as a daily ROM for use) There are several other "finished" 2.2 ROM floating out there, some polished & others with minor issues, just a matter of preference & bias - experiment with it to pick one's own (opinions do NOT agree, as you know.)

Good luck & do post if you run into issues (with the particulars) and/or come over to XDA - meanwhile, set aside at least 2 or 3 hours & brew that coffee/tea, and have fun bringing life back into the Eris.