Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Android/4G Phones, should I wait to buy?

Feedback Score

New Android/4G Phones, should I wait to buy?

Okay, so I need to upgrade my phone, its not a smartphone. My contract is up, so I can extend my contract for 2 years and get a big discount on a smartphone, however I'm not sure if I should continue to wait, or get the HTC Inspire, or Motorola Atrix.

I've never owned a smartphone, and I'm the type of user that takes pretty good care of his phones and owns them for a long time. I don't upgrade year after year, so I can afford to wait if something better is coming along down the road.

I want an android phone because I love to play with stuff, customize stuff. I've always worked with computers, have done some programming, etc..., so I'm pretty particular when it comes to my gadgets.

I've heard mixed reviews on the motorola atrix, like it doesnt have built-in gps.

anyhow, if anyone could offer me some general advice like, wait 6 months, or, wait for the samsung (infuse?) that's coming out.

I'd rather NOT wait more than 3 months, but again this will likely be my next phone for at least the next 2 years, if not longer.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S II, N900
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    The Galaxy S 2 (should be called the Captivate 2) should drop around August (as a pure guess.) That one should be the best out this year.

My wife has the Inspire. Its a nice device. The Samsung Infuse is scheduled for the 15th of this month. Its a little big tho.

The Atrix bootloader is locked. That will make it a little hard to "play" with.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thalooch View Post
    Okay, so I need to upgrade my phone, its not a smartphone. My contract is up, so I can extend my contract for 2 years and get a big discount on a smartphone, however I'm not sure if I should continue to wait, or get the HTC Inspire, or Motorola Atrix.

I've never owned a smartphone, and I'm the type of user that takes pretty good care of his phones and owns them for a long time. I don't upgrade year after year, so I can afford to wait if something better is coming along down the road.

I want an android phone because I love to play with stuff, customize stuff. I've always worked with computers, have done some programming, etc..., so I'm pretty particular when it comes to my gadgets.

I've heard mixed reviews on the motorola atrix, like it doesnt have built-in gps.

anyhow, if anyone could offer me some general advice like, wait 6 months, or, wait for the samsung (infuse?) that's coming out.

I'd rather NOT wait more than 3 months, but again this will likely be my next phone for at least the next 2 years, if not longer.
    Don't get the Atrix. It does have built in GPS, though. The locked bootloader may not be an issue for everyone, either. The reason you should not buy it though is pretty simple. The screen absolutely sucks. Sure it's "qHD" but the pixel arrangement is PenTile. That makes everything--especially text--look fuzzy. It's color reproduction is horrible, too, as it's not even OLED. The only reason you could POSSIBLY get away with using PenTile is to have the screen be OLED, but this is just a plain LCD.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Again, everyone is different, I had used a various sort of smart phones, but when amazon wireless gave me a captivate last fall, best thing that ever happened, except, for att's freekn' limited data plans.

I was ready go get the new att samsung next weekend, but after watching some youtube videos (do a google for you tube captivate, infuse, etc) really informative and not totally biased---in either case, it got me to drop by the att store today to try the new htc, which is only like $50 thru amazon or sams'. IMO, any of them are so great, you won't believe it. These youtubes, offer comparisons, with tests, of various unit compared to each other. Also, believe you have 30 days to change your mind.

when you do upgrade, get the biggest charger you can find; you will need it, and tdke out insurance. Your first phone may only cost you $50, but when you destroy it, even the $125 deductable is going to seem expensive.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Wait for the SGSII. It will have fake 4G, but that's really not terribly exciting. The phone itself is.

Feedback Score

thanks for the feedback

btw, what is the SGSII?

and, what do you mean fake 4G?

Are they all fake 4G??

and, so if I have 30 days, that means, I could upgrade, and then return the phone before the 30 days is up, and get something different, and then do that again?

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think there are supposed to be some LTE phones in the 2nd half of this year.

I don't like the Atrix, I've seen too many issues i don't like. The inspire is decent, not the best at batt life. The Infuse looks very interesting, will prob have ok batt life and is a 21mbps phone.
    Last edited by zephxiii; 05-10-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

I think that it means that the term 4G does not yet have a uniform standard yet and what each carrier markets as 4G varies widely. Without a uniform standard no carrier should advertise 4G service yet.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    btw, what is the SGSII?

Are they all fake 4G??

and, so if I have 30 days, that means, I could upgrade, and then return the phone before the 30 days is up, and get something different, and then do that again?
    SGSII= Samsung Galaxy S 2. The SGS is the Captivate on AT&T, Vibrant on T-Mobile, Fascinate on Verizon, Epic 4G on Sprint, and something else on MetroPCS and a couple of other smaller carriers. SGSII is the second version, and it is incredible. Check the review out on Engadget.

I think you can do that as long as it's at a Corporate store, but there might be a restocking fee.

Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I think that it means that the term 4G does not yet have a uniform standard yet and what each carrier markets as 4G varies widely. Without a uniform standard no carrier should advertise 4G service yet.
    I think of Sprint's WiMAX and Verizon's LTE as true 4G, since they are a completely new infrastructure, and they are IP based. However, under the original definition, only TeliaSonera's LTE advanced in Sweden, Finland, and Estonia is actually 4G. I don't know why the US carriers haven't rolled out a network like theirs that can do 100mbps mobile.

T-Mobile and AT&T's HSPA+ is NOT 4G, it's just turbocharged 3G. Not to say they aren't great networks, and you could argue that HSPA+ is much better than WiMAX or LTE because of wider coverage from AT&T right now, but it's not 4G and shouldn't be advertised as such.

Feedback Score
    Techinally, HSPA+ is now considered to be a 4G technology:

ITU Redefines 4G. Again.

This was their original requirement for speeds to be considered "4G":

Quote Originally Posted by cnet.com
    The ITU defines 4G or IMT-Advanced as technology that offers download speeds of 100Mbps on mobile devices or 1Gbps on fixed wireless connections.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II i9100
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    If I were you I would buy the Unlocked Galaxy S 2, i9100 ... it is quite simply the best phone I have ever used ... battery life performance, screen etc. True that att may get its version, but knowing att's track record not only will they load it with bloatware they probably remove some form of hardware.

I got it on unlocked using it on att and best part of all im on the unlimited medianet dataplan for $15

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Nice, didn't know it was quadband HSPA+!!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II i9100
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    If you don't know now you know :-)

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As I thought might happen, the Infuse is a dud!

AT&T’s first HSPA+ “4G” phones fell flat when it came to data — neither the HTC Inspire 4G nor the Motorola ATRIX 4G could hold a candle to the 3G download speeds available on the iPhone 4, and we won’t even discuss the upload speeds. Is the Infuse the AT&T 4G smartphone you’ve been waiting for? I’ve been trekking along with it for more than a week and have penned my impressions, so check out the gallery below and then hit the jump for my full review
    http://www.bgr.com/2011/05/11/samsun...nius+Report%29

The data speeds on the Infuse 4G are awful and are just barely better than what I’ve seen on the ATRIX 4G and the Inspire 4G. I averaged 3.07Mbps on the downlink and a pitiful .11Mbps on the uplink. That’s a solid 3G download speed, but overall the throughput is pathetic for anything with a 4G moniker. Verizon’s 4G LTE network consistently offers downlink speeds of 20Mbps with phones like the Samsung DROID Charge; that’s more than six times faster than AT&T’s 4G network.
    Maybe they do need TMO for the assist!
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by killerdraft View Post
    If you don't know now you know :-)

Sent via the HowardForums Android app
    Hi there, if you don't mind, could you tell us where you got yours from? Just want to confirm, it has both Att's 3G bands, right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast