Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Southern Linc and Nextel Cross PTT!!!

Feedback Score

Southern Linc and Nextel Cross PTT!!!

Well it has finally happened. Southern Linc and Nextel have finally opened up dispatch PTT calling between the two. Now Southern Linc customer's can PTT Nextel user's and vice versa. Also Southern Linc customer's now have full access to PTT, data, voice, and SMS nationally via the Nextel network.

Despite all the rumor's and PR about iDEN on Sprint shutting down 2013. Southern Linc disagree's and says they will likely not shut down the entire network in 2013. From what I am hearing, they will reallocate some of the spectrum to an EVDO PTT platform but leave enough for an iDEN network for some time.

SouthernLINC Wireless has scored a long-sought-after roaming deal with Sprint (NYSE:S), allowing it to offer push-to-talk (PTT) and data services in addition to voice calling outside of its southeastern U.S. territory (Briefing Room: SouthernLINC press release). SouthernLINC has offered voice roaming through Nextel and then with Sprint since 2001, but because PTT is a core service on its iDEN network, it has been trying for 10 years to expand its agreement to expand its walkie-talkie capabilities to a nationwide footprint.

More on this Topic

Industry News
    U.S. Cellular fast-tracks LTE network, deploying Ericsson gear
    The humbling of RIM
    Blogs
    Motorola on the upswing while RIM takes a downward turn
    Carriers should look to Yahoo! to see what TV viewers are IntoNow
    Briefing Room
    NVIDIA to Acquire Baseband and RF Technology Leader Icera
    Verizon Wireless releases VZW PIX UNLIMITED powered by Buongiorno
    SouthernLINC spokeswoman Jamie Schaff said that an upcoming FCC vote on Thursday may be partly responsible for operators’ change of heart when it comes to expanded roaming agreements. Smaller operators are asking that the FCC mandatethat all operators be required to extend data roaming to smaller providers, and the FCC has shown an inclination to back their request.

“With the upcoming FCC vote, Sprint and Nextel have gotten on the smaller carriers’ side,” Schaff said. “We hope the FCC will mandate this for all of the carriers.”

SouthernLINC is a subsidiary of the Southern Company (NYSE:SO), a group of regional electrical utilities that serves SouthernLINC’s own footprint covering Alabama, Georgia, northwest Florida and southeast Mississippi. SouthernLINC’s network is built entirely off of Motorola’s (NYSE:MSI) iDEN technology, which also powers Sprint’s Nextel network. The key feature of iDEN is its ability to support carrier-class push-to-talk direct radio connection services, making it the focal point service for Sprint’s Nextel and Boost Mobile services as well as SouthernLINC’s own “So Easy” service plans.

Because SouthernLINC uses the same technology as the Nextel network, it can support inter-operator PTT connections (i.e., a SouthernLINC customer can push a PTT call to a Nextel customer and vice versa) a feature that few, if any, PTT solutions can offer. Now with nationwide roaming in place, SouthernLINC can offer a full-fledged and robust PTT service within and without its territory, a critical distinction for the types of customers PTT attracts, Schaff said. Enterprise workers, contractors and government employees often travel outside the SouthernLINC footprint. Before the deal went into place, these people simply lost access to work-critical PTT services, Schaff said.

The roaming deal also includes data roaming access of Sprint’s iDEN network, which can’t support the 3G or mobile broadband speeds that others are offering today over EV-DO, high-speed packet access (HSPA), WiMAX or long-term evolution. But the deal ensures customers don’t lose all access to the mobile Internet, BlackBerry e-mail and other data applications when they leave the SouthernLINC territory. Schaff said SouthernLINC is investigating future mobile broadband technologies to augment its data network, but hasn’t settled on a specific technology.

Sprint has said it is now in the process of shutting down its own iDEN network and plans to start transitioning its Nextel and Boost customers to the CDMA network after it develops a new IP push-to-talk service as part of its Network Vision modernization program (CP: Sprint lays out vague path to LTE). Sprint is targeting 2013 as the cut-off date for iDEN, allowing it to repurpose the network's 800 MHZ spectrum for a future mobile broadband technology. But Schaff said that SouthernLINC expects Sprint to keep large parts of the network running for several more years, gradually phasing it out rather than simply flipping off a switch.
    http://connectedplanetonline.com/mob...greement-0405/

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    Well it has finally happened. Southern Linc and Nextel have finally opened up dispatch PTT calling between the two. Now Southern Linc customer's can PTT Nextel user's and vice versa. Also Southern Linc customer's now have full access to PTT, data, voice, and SMS nationally via the Nextel network.

Despite all the rumor's and PR about iDEN on Sprint shutting down 2013. Southern Linc disagree's and says they will likely not shut down the entire network in 2013. From what I am hearing, they will reallocate some of the spectrum to an EVDO PTT platform but leave enough for an iDEN network for some time.

http://connectedplanetonline.com/mob...greement-0405/
    That articles says nothing about cross-PTT. It just says that SouthernLinc customers have access to PTT services nationwide. They can't PTT Sprint IDEN customers, they just can PTT SouthernLinc customers while they're roaming.

I have said before and I will say it again: SouthernLinc and NII can pool their money and buy Sprint's IDEN network and move it to 900MHz. That way both of their customers can have nationwide/international PTT coverage. They can also get Motorola to put an LTE radio that roams on Sprint's future LTE network. Everybody is satisfied including PS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    That articles says nothing about cross-PTT. It just says that SouthernLinc customers have access to PTT services nationwide. They can't PTT Sprint IDEN customers, they just can PTT SouthernLinc customers while they're roaming.

I have said before and I will say it again: SouthernLinc and NII can pool their money and buy Sprint's IDEN network and move it to 900MHz. That way both of their customers can have nationwide/international PTT coverage. They can also get Motorola to put an LTE radio that roams on Sprint's future LTE network. Everybody is satisfied including PS.
    No. Look at the top of the article. I can cross PTT Nextel user's with my Southern Linc device and vice versa. In fact I have PTT'd skippinjack just fine with my southern linc phone.

iDEN network interconnection allows PTT sessions across the Nextel network as well as between both operators' customers

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No. Look at the top of the article. I can cross PTT Nextel user's with my Southern Linc device and vice versa. In fact I have PTT'd skippinjack just fine with my southern linc phone.
    Which is not supported by anything in the article or by any other article. Even Southern Linc's own press release at:

http://www.southerncompany.com/news/...s=43&item=2278

does not mention it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    Which is not supported by anything in the article or by any other article. Even Southern Linc's own press release at:

http://www.southerncompany.com/news/...s=43&item=2278

does not mention it.
    This really isn't a debatable thing since it works and around here there have been ad's everywhere supporting it. Feel free to call Southern Linc at 1-800-818-LINC and press option 2. I will be posting a Youtube video later on about this.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frito View Post
    Dont argue with bigsnake its a waste of finger typing. He is against Nextel and thinks Sprint should close it down quick because it will be the answer to Sprints crap network. Shuttering Nextel will do little if anything at all to help Sprints crap network. Congrads to Southernlink customers and true Nextel customers as this is a postive development. Its my hope that someone buys Nextel from Sprint as Sprint has done nothing but destroy it.
    Don't bother with posts like this, it's a waste of typing.

**Thread Crapping can and will get you a temp or perma ban from the Sprint forum.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Agree with you locust its just an opinion with no facts whatsoever to back up any of it. This is a great development for both sides and hopefully leads to Nextel PTT staying around. How many southern link custmers stand to benefit from this?
    The US Department of Justice said today:

"AT&T could obtain substantially the same network enhancements that it claims will come from the transaction if it simply invested in its own network without eliminating a close competitor..."

It's The Network, That Never Stops Working For You.

Verizon Wireless Customer Council member since August 2006. Currently Testing: Motorola Droid Bionic

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Off-Topic ?

Your entitled to your opinion, that's great. But it's just your opinion with no facts to back it up. At this point much is up in the air and speculation. Can we please stay on topic. If you feel a need to argue about OT stuff then feel free to create your own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Frito View Post
    ... i think Verizon would have done alot better with IDEN and used it to its full potential.
    Locust, I caution you to leave any "moderating" to the mods. Any further issues with you or this thread will result in more than just closing it. I think this goes without saying, wouldn't you agree Locust?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    Off-Topic ?

Locust, I caution you to leave any "moderating" to the mods. Any further issues with you or this thread will result in more than just closing it. I think this goes without saying, wouldn't you agree Locust?
    I was just trying to stay on topic here. Never got off topic, this is a very important agreement Southern Linc has acquired and signify's the life expectancy of iDEN. I'm not the one causing issue's here. But I do understand I need to let the mod's do their job instead of trying to step in..

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Alright, some of you need a reality check--step away from the keyboards and take a few deep breaths. This thread was not started to discuss how and what Sprint has done with Nextel. Keep it on the topic of Nextel and Southern-Linc cross-PTT. If that proves too hard for some of you, bans will be issued. Please don't make this another thread the staff here has to babysit.

Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Feedback Score
    PTT Demo between my Southern Linc iDEN phone and my Nextel iDEN device. Very important accomplishment Southern Linc has achieved.

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; Opus One Build/RBE.00.00) AppleWebKit/528.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

You know with advancements like this, sms and the droid pro coming to iden its really would make anyone with a brain puzzled about what has or is going on behind the scenes.it by no means looks like iden is going away.this is great for all of us.i got peeps in georgia that have solinc.they care nothing about data only dc texts and rugged phones.i hate texting so now I can hit em up.

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.436 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

This just shows how well Iden was developed in the begining. That seemed to be extremely easy for Nextel and Solinc to do.
    Last edited by boss_hog; 05-10-2011 at 05:40 AM.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Great video locust, may be a sighn of things to come for Nextel iDEN PTT.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I wonder why Solinc does not advertise it! Does it work the other way around, from Nextel to Solinc?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast