Thread: Minneapolis 3G

Device(s)
    Razr
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Minneapolis 3G

I am just wondering about Minneapolis 3G because I constantly get 1.5 down and sometimes even slower than that constantly. I'm using a HTC Aria. Anybody else wondering why Minneapolis 3G is so slow? Can anybody shed some light on the current situation?

Thank you!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That seems to be pretty much par for the whole state of Minnesota, even the newly acquired areas of west central and southwest MN. This past week I traveled to Willmar, which is a newly acquired area from Verizon/Unicel. Brand new towers/equipment. 1500kbps download / 75 kbps upload was typical.

Yesterday I was in Eden Prairie. 1500kbps download / 75 kbps upload was typical.

Today I was in St. Cloud. Again, 1500kbps download / 75 kbps upload was typical.

These tests were taken with an iPhone 3GS using Extreme Labs speed test.

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    what's so bad about 1.5 down? lol.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    what's so bad about 1.5 down? lol.
    Those are "Verizon" speed's and unacceptable.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't have speed issues near me. South Metro, most of St Paul and Northfield see 3.5-6.5 DN all the time.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've been getting that speed lately in Minneapolis. I used to get 3-3.5Mbps 3-4 months ago, but I haven't hit that recently.

Feedback Score
    Just got 1900 down and 97kbps up with ping of 247 in Maple Grove on an Atrix without the new modem. I generally get 1000 or 1500 down and about 125 kbps up which is the same I got with my old Nokia E71. Pretty disappointing when I see others getting 3-4 up even without the new modem

Device(s)
    Razr
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Anybody have any relief or updates about the Minneapolis market? Also are we included to be a trial market for LTE?

Feedback Score
    I noticed speed of att 3G connection was dropped significantly last couple of days... I'm getting 0.24mps for downloading and 0.06mps for uploading.. Unacceptable!!!

Feedback Score
    The HTC Aria isn't an HSPA+ phone. It's only HSPA 7.2. 1.5Mbps should be about par for the course. PC World conducted tests recently that showed average download speeds on AT&T to be 1.45Mbps: http://zapp5.staticworld.net/images/...2x-5152351.jpg

Those tests were done on AT&T with an HSPA 7.2 phone. The T-Mobile tests show higher speeds because of the use of an HSPA+ phone. Likewise, one can see that AT&T is about 45% faster than Verizon's average speeds. It's also important to note that Sprint's 1.5Mbps average came with a WiMAX phone.

3G won't often break 2Mbps. 1Mbps is really the standard for 3G. So, you're getting 50% better speeds than you should expect. AT&T now has HSPA+ 14 and HSPA+ 21 phones available which should get faster speeds. AT&T is also launching LTE this summer (Minneapolis isn't one of the first cities).

Baseline: 3G is a 1Mbps technology. You aren't using the latest technologies that AT&T offer, namely HSPA+.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mdasen View Post
    The HTC Aria isn't an HSPA+ phone. It's only HSPA 7.2. 1.5Mbps should be about par for the course. PC World conducted tests recently that showed average download speeds on AT&T to be 1.45Mbps: http://zapp5.staticworld.net/images/...2x-5152351.jpg

Those tests were done on AT&T with an HSPA 7.2 phone. The T-Mobile tests show higher speeds because of the use of an HSPA+ phone. Likewise, one can see that AT&T is about 45% faster than Verizon's average speeds. It's also important to note that Sprint's 1.5Mbps average came with a WiMAX phone.

3G won't often break 2Mbps. 1Mbps is really the standard for 3G. So, you're getting 50% better speeds than you should expect. AT&T now has HSPA+ 14 and HSPA+ 21 phones available which should get faster speeds. AT&T is also launching LTE this summer (Minneapolis isn't one of the first cities).

Baseline: 3G is a 1Mbps technology. You aren't using the latest technologies that AT&T offer, namely HSPA+.
    A 3G capable phone certainly is capable of well over 1Mbps, my Verizon 3G phone hits 2-2.5 consistently. People with iPhone's and other 7.2 devices in markets with backhaul to support are hitting 4-6Mbps.