Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Remembering the great Symbian phones of the past

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000xp8 View Post
    Well, the e6 is pretty much here (or very soon) so no need to waste your time on the old e71.
    But the reception was fine, you just had to be careful not to smother the signal with your hand. Once you got used to holding it with your fingers, it was just as good as any other nokia.
    Haha a lot has happened in the week that I posted that. I ended up picking up an e71 pretty cheap. I wouldn't want to spend the money for the e6 with the n9 on the horizon. I don't get bad reception with it at all. It's loud and clear. Battery life is a plus too.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S 16GB White
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    N82...even without US umts support it was still a solid phone. the xenon flash made all the difference.

Device(s)
    n900
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwindexe View Post
    Haha a lot has happened in the week that I posted that. I ended up picking up an e71 pretty cheap. I wouldn't want to spend the money for the e6 with the n9 on the horizon. I don't get bad reception with it at all. It's loud and clear. Battery life is a plus too.
    I feel the same about the e6 with a pending n9, although i read alot at maemo.org and would seem that many think the n9 will never make it into consumer hands.

As far as the 71's battery life, i don't think there is any phone that holds a charge longer.
    For daily simple tasks there is no better phone.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    E62 maybe. It had the same battery as the E61 but only half the processors and was GSM only. Other than that, I think the BlackBery Bold 9700 might have been able to exceed it.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000xp8 View Post
    I feel the same about the e6 with a pending n9, although i read alot at maemo.org and would seem that many think the n9 will never make it into consumer hands.

As far as the 71's battery life, i don't think there is any phone that holds a charge longer.
    For daily simple tasks there is no better phone.
    Yeah, I really love the battery life. I've only charged it twice in the 5 days I've had it.

As for the N9, there's 2 devices. One for the dev community and one for consumers. The consumer version is supposed to not have a keyboard but be slightly more powerful. We're supposed to find out more these next few weeks. Regardless, it may not release for a few months so all the news will mean nothing. Worst case, I will pick up an E7 at the end of June.

Device(s)
    White 16GB iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ok, I'm pretty much a phone whore. I didn't realize how many Nokia's I've had until I looked up Nokia phones on phonescoop. Wow, I had quite a few, plus many other brands, but loved most of my Nokia's more than most other brands. I have an N8 on the way right now. Will be here on Tuesday. I've missed Nokia. Here is my list.

918 w/ Bell Atlantic Mobile was my first. Then I switched to AT&T.
    3650 (loved that phone)
    1st N-Gage
    E61
    N80
    N73 (Still have but has water damage & doesn't work)
    N75 (Still have but don't use)
    6085 (Husband had, still has but doesn't use)
    6126 (Still have for backup in case I'm without a phone, plus I loved it & just can't get rid of it even though it doesn't have 3G)
    E75 (Hated-horrible reception)
    N97 (Hated-horrible reception)

Looking forward to getting my green N8. Hope I don't have any problems with it. I miss Nokia. I have a Motorola Bravo right now and although I like Android, this phone is starting to get really buggy and make me mad. Almost threw it across the room several times!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So many great phones. I do truely miss symbian sometimes. It always seemd to get the job done pretty well. And the build quality!!! Mostly awesome. The ones that really stand out were my N95, fantastic device.
    My E71 was a real fav, tiny screen and all, but the kb was so outstanding. My all time fav was that brick of a device , the E90. I used the first one for just over a year which was a record for me. Not especially fast, but nice kb and super nice, crisp screen and BIG!. Loved that form factor at that time. I hate to admit it, but I wanted it so bad I paid $1059 deliverd price from an ebay seller to be an early adopter. That price point is a personal record that still stands and shall forever I hope.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wow, what a reminisce, I've had several. N80 was one of the first if not thee first I had. E71 was a fav as its kb was primo and I could go so fast on it. But several more later I reached my favorite Symbian device of all, the E90. I was one of the very first on the forum to get one and paid $1059 for it shipped. Another forum member paid around $1500 for his, just to be first. Both our E90's had kb's that rubbed the screen when closed. I modded mine to prevent scratches. Yeah we were stupidly addicted to phones , Nokia and Symbian. Symbian just plain rocked our worlds. I wish it hadn't died out the way it has. Imagine where it could be today with regular updates. Awesome platform! Loved those communicators. Had a 9300 also. Those were the days and those communicators were real head turners here in the U.S. in Europe they were everywhere. Now it's the iPhone that's everywhere. Bah! Great memories tho.

EDIT: Ha,Ha! I just realized I was the last poster over a year ago. LOL!! Guess this thread is dead. RIP Symbian.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    First Symbian in the family is my bro's Psion Organizer. That was Symbian pre-Nokia days.
    Over the years I've owned three Psion PDAs. I only moved to a Palm after Psion went out of production. The Symbian-based phones I've owned include:
    1. Sony Ericsson R380 (Symbian EPOC OS)
    2. Nokia E61
    3. Nokia N8
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
    Nominating the E71-2. :-)

That thing was just perfect in its time (2008-2009). IMHO it was better than the Blackberries of that era.
    The E71 was an awesome phone. Especially since it worked with T-Mobile's TZones $4.99 data plan. No need for the $20/month BIS add-on like BlackBerrys require.

My personal highlights:
    N73
    N95
    E71
    E90

The E90 was a BRICK, but it was the best built phone I've ever owned. The hinges for the screen were innovative and so well engineered that they never broke or even loosened. The cameras on the early N-series phones, especially the N95, were ground breaking in terms of picture quality. Even today the camera on the N95 is outstanding.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I cannot shed much experience relating to Nokia/Symbian, but my first ever smartphone was a Nokia N8, first ever Nokia as well.
    I was quite envious of my friend who bought the N95 seeing Nokia releasing quality phones and how much more I wanted one.

I took a gamble on the N8 because my relatives and friends questioned my decision. Symbian users were already on the decline and I knew well Symbian would no longer receive updates eventually, but I do not regret purchasing the handset. I feel a bit spoiled that I am going to box my perfectly conditioned 2 year old N8 away for an Android device.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    N95 - way ahead of it's time with the camera and still a great camera even by today's standards. It's the optics.
    E91 - best built phone I've ever owned. It was a beast, 210g in weight, but the screen was great for email and the hinge system was an amazing piece of engineering.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    symbian phones I've had that I thought were good:
    N95
    N8
    E51
    E73
    N82

worst piece of crap ever:
    N97 (piss poor RF, camera cover that scratches, screen burn in, unusable gps)

Carrier(s)
    Lord Rogers
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    E90 will go down as my favourite S60 phone of all time.

My signature lists all the S60 phones I owned at one point in time!

Man - I miss those Hofo days!
    Howard Forums Feedback
    Redflagdeals Feedback

BB - 9900, 9700(x3), Bold(x5), 8820(x2), 8800, 8100, 8320(x2)
    HTC - Diamond 2, Diamond, Polaris, Artemis, Desire, Desire Z
    Nokia - E72-2, N97(x2), E75(x2), Sapphire Arte, 5800 XM, E90, N95-4,E71-2(x4),E65,N82,8600,3120
    Sony - W810i
    Samsung - D807
    Apple - iPhone 3G 8GB(x2), 16GB(x3), iPhone 3GS(x5), iPhone 4 16GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 4S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 6 128GB

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    +1 for the E90. Lots of great symbian devices back then, but the E90 just flat out rocked and ruled.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast