Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Remembering the great Symbian phones of the past

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm proud to say I've only ever owned Nokia Phones.

3220 (i wanted a 3660 but couldn't get it)
    7370 (gold, people loved how it looked cuz their phone were boring looking)
    N95-3
    N8 Green

I'm thinking of getting an Xperia Arc just to play with, it'll never take the place of my N8.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Nokia's own blog waxes nostalgic about some Nokia phones from the past. Interesting read.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64 GB, Nokia N8, Apple iPhone 16 GB 3G[S]®, Nokia N82, Motorola V710
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My first Nokia was the N82, we all know what a [email protected] device it was so I wont blather. I can see my N8 lasting me a very long time because theres very little a manufacturer can add to such small devices from a HW perspective plus when you consider free GPS voice navigated maps it puts applecrap to shame.

Device(s)
    Nokia Phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Some of the the better experiences with Nokia phones:

N73 - My first Nokia experience - top line camera at its time 3MP with carl zeiss

N95 / N95 8GB - The natural upgrade - top of everything at it's time

E71 - Its like the good girl you can't ditch, got rid of it many times and still went back to it.

E90 - The brick phone with massive screen - great to use pain to carry.

N900 - The phone that finally came up to date with the iphone's UI; screwed by poor 3rd party app support.

N8 - Currently using the best camera phone - S^3 is not great but bearable - looking forward to anna & belle.

N9 - Waiting for, this should be one of the greatest phone before Nokia goes to Windows Phone

E6 - An interesting concept that I'm looking forward to try - will post a review when I get it.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiplier View Post
    Nokia's own blog waxes nostalgic about some Nokia phones from the past. Interesting read.
    Yeah, but in the end, this is not a healthy attitude.

In the second coming of Steve Jobs to Apple in 1997, when he became CEO for the second time, the Apple Computer campus had a museum that showed, and glorified all its past computers down to the Apple I.

The first thing Jobs did as the new CEO was to get rid of that museum. All the computers were donated or given away.

What was his reason? Don't glorify the past. Only the future is what is important. Now look where he and Apple is standing now.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I started out with the 6682 in 2006, got a free N75 after AT&T "fried" the 6682, then E61, E61i, N96, N97 mini and finally traded the 97mini for the E90 communicator. Been happy ever since. I do not see myself upgrading anytime soon.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I love that old communicator, and really wish Nokia would revisit the form factor with modern specifications.
    I want to buy your Nokia E7.

HoFo Feedback (9+, 0-)

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64 GB, Nokia N8, Apple iPhone 16 GB 3G[S]®, Nokia N82, Motorola V710
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post

In the second coming of Steve Jobs to Apple in 1997, when he became CEO for the second time, the Apple Computer campus had a museum that showed, and glorified all its past computers down to the Apple I.

The first thing Jobs did as the new CEO was to get rid of that museum. All the computers were donated or given away.

What was his reason? Don't glorify the past. Only the future is what is important. Now look where he and Apple is standing now.
    I am a student of Power and it's execution. That said, what jobs did was textbook, nothing really original there at all.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've always wanted to try an e71, but you guys talking about bad reception with it doesn't help haha. This may be the proper time to get one to hold me until the n9 though. My phone was stolen today so I'm using an old samsung flip. if anyone has an old spare e71 (even beat up), feel free to pm me.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Well I think you have to strike a balance. Yes it is the future that counts but remembering the successes of the past can give you the confidence to continue making great products. Within reasonable limits I don't think a sense of tradition hurts a company.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well I think you have to strike a balance. Yes it is the future that counts but remembering the successes of the past can give you the confidence to continue making great products. Within reasonable limits I don't think a sense of tradition hurts a company.
    Very well said.

I don't think it would hurt Nokia to take a gander at an "old" N95 or 9500 communicator once and a while.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    A sense of tradition is good for a car company, but not for a high tech computer company. With phones becoming more like computers, Nokia had to think like one, not like some European styling house. With that it miserably failed. Even in car companies, retro traditions are merely for niches and by far, their latest products have completely nothing in resemblance to the old one except for ornamental hoods and badges.

Look at Apple's products now. They bear zero resemblance to their great products at the past. Check how the Apple II looks like. Check how the Macintosh 128k looks like. Anything looking like the iPhone there, no? The willingness to shuck the past is deliberate. It is deep. It is cultural. It is organizational. It is a complete mindset that is established by constructing the proper atmosphere in the workplace. That's the only way how an organization can reinvent itself. Reinvention is the primary way of survival. It is how you either deal with change, or be the disruptive change yourself.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by newtype View Post
    Very well said.

I don't think it would hurt Nokia to take a gander at an "old" N95 or 9500 communicator once and a while.
    From a mass marketing view, catering to a fan base such as the ones that only owned a Communicator is the last thing you need. Also, sliders are much more associated with Korean phones.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    A sense of tradition is good for a car company, but not for a high tech computer company. With phones becoming more like computers, Nokia had to think like one, not like some European styling house. With that it miserably failed. Even in car companies, retro traditions are merely for niches and by far, their latest products have completely nothing in resemblance to the old one except for ornamental hoods and badges.

Look at Apple's products now. They bear zero resemblance to their great products at the past. Check how the Apple II looks like. Check how the Macintosh 128k looks like. Anything looking like the iPhone there, no? The willingness to shuck the past is deliberate. It is deep. It is cultural. It is organizational. It is a complete mindset that is established by constructing the proper atmosphere in the workplace. That's the only way how an organization can reinvent itself. Reinvention is the primary way of survival. It is how you either deal with change, or be the disruptive change yourself.
    A sense of tradition doesn't mean copying the designs of previous decades. It means taking pride in the great products of the past and using them as inspiration to design great products in the future. In that sense Apple does very much have a sense of tradition and its own history. For example in his first iPhone presentation, Jobs positioned it as the next stop in a line of products going back to the Mac.
    IBM has an even stronger sense of tradition. It released a wonderful video celebrating its great inventions over the last 100 years.

Device(s)
    n900
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwindexe View Post
    I've always wanted to try an e71, but you guys talking about bad reception with it doesn't help haha. This may be the proper time to get one to hold me until the n9 though. My phone was stolen today so I'm using an old samsung flip. if anyone has an old spare e71 (even beat up), feel free to pm me.
    Well, the e6 is pretty much here (or very soon) so no need to waste your time on the old e71.
    But the reception was fine, you just had to be careful not to smother the signal with your hand. Once you got used to holding it with your fingers, it was just as good as any other nokia.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast