Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Buying my first Droid soon. Should I switch to Verizon? How bad is At&t?

Feedback Score

Buying my first Droid soon. Should I switch to Verizon? How bad is At&t?

I've been eyeing a few different phones, but since the Bionic seems like its going to release july or so, and the S2 will probably be coming to At&t soon, that seems enticing.

I always read on forums how terrible at&t is for smart phones. I've never had problems with it for regular service but not sure about the 3g/Huspa. I live in central ca/northern ca if that matters.

Should I wait and switch to Verizon or is At&t not really that bad?

Thanks for the help

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you live in a city with Verizon LTE, thats the way to go, no questions asked. AT&T has HUSPA disabled on all their "4G" phones so uploads are ridiculously slow. Not to mention, even with HUSPA enabled, Verizon's LTE is faster still.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    If you live in a city with Verizon 3G and they are expecting 4G LTE soon then that would be the best choice by far.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Carrier(s)
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    What reasons would you have for not switching?

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If your happy with AT&T why not stick with them. The ARTIX is a good phone also.
    It's just my own opinion but for me, AT&T's network speeds are fine for a phone.

Your area may not see LTE for quite a while if it's remote.
    I'd wait for ilvla2 to chime in since he's knowledgeable with No Cal.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget you'll only get 2GB of data with AT&T for $25 versus $30 unlimited. Network quality will vary by area so "no comment" on that.

Edit: Re: speeds being fine for a phone, well, people have said they'll go to EDGE areas and get speeds of *0*. That is not OK for any use. But, in general phones don't need huge speeds.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I guess the main issue here is that the OP understands that any phone tagged "4G" by AT&T will not compare to Verizon "4G", especially while the uploads are capped. Heck, speeds on the iP4 are currently a good margin faster than the Atrix.

The reason I mentioned VZW LTE is because all the newer smartphones (like the OP is interested in) are 4G LTE, save for the DX2 and Inc2. Comparing latest smartphones between the two companies, Verizon's would probably be a better fit if LTE is in the near future in the OP's area. Plus, AT&T's enhanced backhaul is deploying only in Los Angeles (according to their site), so even with the caps removed from the Atrix, the speeds wouldn't compare to VZW LTE.

I say try them both out, you have time to decide if its a fit or not!

EDIT- OP, check out this forum to understand what the current limitations are concerning AT&T's HSPA+ network. Click

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In true Central CA, you will get far better and more consistent service with AT&T. You'll also get far, far better battery life using HSPA+ [AT&T] compared to first-gen LTE.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Also, what phone do you have now?

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm suggesting the OP needs to see if an Lte phone(s) isn't a dud! Manufacturers seem to make test dummies out of us. Will it hanoff to 3G gracefully? BT issues? Rebooting for no reason? I could go on, but I made my point.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    AT&T ain't bad if you like chemically neutered smart phones loaded to the neck with bloatware and promises that are never kept.
    HOW TO UNLOCK AND FLASH A NET10 LG 900G
    http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f177...hread-1176052/

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    In true Central CA, you will get far better and more consistent service with AT&T. You'll also get far, far better battery life using HSPA+ [AT&T] compared to first-gen LTE.
    While I know others on here have fine VZW service in Central Ca, you make a VERY good point concerning battery life. I must say, on the Thunderbolt with constant (and I mean screen on/off every 5 minutes to text, wifi on, bluetooth and gps occasionally on, plus calls) use, I am lucky to see 6 hours out of the battery. In Lexington, (no 4G, I see about 7-8).

Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    Will it hanoff to 3G gracefully?
    Kinda, about 30 seconds between LTE and 3G. This is being addressed in an upcoming update.

BT issues?
    None. It syncs fine with my Jeep.

Rebooting for no reason
    Nope. None yet.

Other points: WiFi works perfectly, GPS is SLOW (takes ~5 minutes to find location), 3G stays on during call (voice and data), 3G speeds consistently faster than Droid X. I already mentioned the abysmal battery life. With all that being said, it is my favorite phone ever, hands down. No lags, ever.

These are reasons the OP should test out both...and find the phone/service that works the best.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    GPS is SLOW (takes ~5 minutes to find location),
    If it wasn't your first fix something is very wrong. Cell phone have week GPS chips and rely on assistance (aGPS) so I'm wondering if assistance isn't functional.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 3760T and being about the size of an iPhone, but without assistance and get a fix in 10 seconds unless I don't use it for 3 days and the ephemeris data is stale. So screw aGPS, it's a scam, just use a better chip and antenna.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If it wasn't your first fix something is very wrong. Cell phone have week GPS chips and rely on assistance (aGPS) so I'm wondering if assistance isn't functional.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 3760T and being about the size of an iPhone, but without assistance and get a fix in 10 seconds unless I don't use it for 3 days and the ephemeris data is stale. So screw aGPS, it's a scam, just use a better chip and antenna.
    Yea! My Droid X found its location in about 10 seconds. We haven't received an update to our T-bolts yet. I really hope it fixes it. aGPS is turned on as well. I really enjoy Google turn-by-turn navigation, but this makes it a hassle.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    HSPA+ is ridiculously fast for a phone, and there aren't any apps that I can think of that really require anything faster than that. Combined with a more graceful transition to UMTS than LTE to CDMA, and far superior batter life, I'm a lot more excited about AT&T's transition to 4G than Verizon. While I KNOW that V will get LTE rolled out much faster, I'd rather HSPA+ everywhere than LTE most places.
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast