Thread: Upset with Google and its Android Market

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down Upset with Google and its Android Market

I'm sick and tired of the lack of control over what Android Market does. If this is what awaits us in the PC as MacOS and Windows implement app stores, we are screwed.

1. No way to downgrade to the previous version: What if you install an update and it turns out worse than the version you had? Well, Google gives you the finger by not allowing you to go back to the previous version. The only time you can revert an update is if the app came preinstalled on your device, and even then you can only revert to the version that was originally installed. If there were better versions in between the one that came with your device and the latest update, you are screwed.

2. No version freezing: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't download updates just to have the latest and hardly-greatest version. There's no way to prevent Market for offering updates for a given application. Even worse, I found out that Market gets tired of you ignoring an update and eventually it will shove it down your throat against your will, installing it automatically even if you have the automatic updates check box unchecked.

3. Free space thieves: So you had 60 MB of free space and download three apps to try out. They turn out to be crap, or just not good enough for you, and you proceed to uninstall them. Do you get back to 60 MB of free space? No. Now you have only 57.9 MB of free space! In all fairness, BlackBerry's AppWorld has the same storage space leak, and in the case of Android, I wonder if its due to Linux and its awful app installation methods where installing application A requires dependencies B, C, D and F but if you uninstall application A, dependencies B, C, D and F (which you did not need before installing app A) are still left installed.

I can't believe I'm the only one who has a problem with these practices! Are there that many fanboys, or are people just plain lazy to audit what gets in and out of their devices?

Device(s)
    HTC One X
    Carrier(s)
    AU by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    Like on any system, free space varies, due to temporary files, cache, data, etc. Notice how after a reboot, you have more free space, for example.

Don't worry so much.

Sent from my SH-03C

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can download Titanium Backup to back up older App versions. You can detach apps from the market as well.
    Bye!

Feedback Score
    Nice point though, something that google might want to look at and consider

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    You can download Titanium Backup to back up older App versions. You can detach apps from the market as well.
    I already tried that. I actually restored an older version of Frozen Bubble from a backup after the developer decided to dumb down the game in the latest update. Unfortunately, Android Market insisted on offering the update until one day that it got tired of me ignoring it, and the update was installed against my will. What's the point of backing up apps if Google is still going to steamroll us?

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CeluGeek View Post
    I'm sick and tired of the lack of control over what Android Market does. If this is what awaits us in the PC as MacOS and Windows implement app stores, we are screwed.
    Yes we are all screwed. Because that's how everything now is being implemented.

1. No way to downgrade to the previous version: What if you install an update and it turns out worse than the version you had? Well, Google gives you the finger by not allowing you to go back to the previous version. The only time you can revert an update is if the app came preinstalled on your device, and even then you can only revert to the version that was originally installed. If there were better versions in between the one that came with your device and the latest update, you are screwed.
    Keeping everyone with the latest version, whether you like it or not, is part in preventing "fragmentation".

2. No version freezing: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't download updates just to have the latest and hardly-greatest version. There's no way to prevent Market for offering updates for a given application. Even worse, I found out that Market gets tired of you ignoring an update and eventually it will shove it down your throat against your will, installing it automatically even if you have the automatic updates check box unchecked.
    Again, fragmentation. if some people upgrade and others don't, it creates platform fragmentation whether you like the old OS version or not.

My bro's Blackberry Bold 9700 crashed recently and he sent back the phone to the carrier. He was surprised that the phone came back fixed but got updated with Blackberry OS 6. He's one of those who doesn't upgrade if nothing is broken, and his phone was in OS 5. Until the crash that is. Now he's totally bewildered about Blackberry 6, and laments about the new learning curve hes to go through again.

Still, carriers and ecosystems act for the good of the whole, not for the individual. The carrier upgrading his Blackberry Bold 9700 to OS6 was the right platform thing to do.

3. Free space thieves: So you had 60 MB of free space and download three apps to try out. They turn out to be crap, or just not good enough for you, and you proceed to uninstall them. Do you get back to 60 MB of free space? No. Now you have only 57.9 MB of free space! In all fairness, BlackBerry's AppWorld has the same storage space leak, and in the case of Android, I wonder if its due to Linux and its awful app installation methods where installing application A requires dependencies B, C, D and F but if you uninstall application A, dependencies B, C, D and F (which you did not need before installing app A) are still left installed.

I can't believe I'm the only one who has a problem with these practices! Are there that many fanboys, or are people just plain lazy to audit what gets in and out of their devices?
    Losing disk space is also called fragmentation. But a different kind of fragmentation. We call it file system fragmentation. It happens with all file systems, and you see in the PC.

Or it could be from another app that just expanded its data and cache use while the other two apps were still around. Like adding more contacts, or caches for newslines in Facebook, Twitter, or news apps. Just the act of browsing leaves disk caches by the browser. I think this is the most likely explanation.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

deathtrip Guest
    This thread is closed because it's just looking to instigate a fight with someone.