Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I get out of contract - now? (Canada SMS Changes)

Feedback Score

Red face How do I get out of contract - now? (Canada SMS Changes)

I've renewed my contract a few months back. Read recently that the included Canada SMS has been nixed. Never used it, but would this be a basis for getting out of my contract?

If so, what would be the actual steps of doing so?

It is because of the new $59.99 unlimited plan with 2GB data I'd love to get on, seems like it'd be worth the hassle.

Been reading a bunch on this subject (not just lazy-posting here), but the specifics are murky. So if anyone knows, I'd reeeally appreciate tips!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    I don't think that the Canada SMS change qualifies as a material change to your contract, unless your contract said something about Canada SMS charges.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wayandrs View Post
    I've renewed my contract a few months back. Read recently that the included Canada SMS has been nixed. Never used it, but would this be a basis for getting out of my contract?

If so, what would be the actual steps of doing so?

Really....

Feedback Score
    You have to refer to section 5 of the terms and conditions:

http://www.t-mobile.com/Templates/Po...ons&print=true

Device(s)
    Current: Nexus 5 on the way!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The unlimited text and talk $59.99 plan is PLUS $20 for data. Data is not included. There was going to be a 59.99 get more plus plan with data but that got nixed. I hope that doesn't change your plans but it needed to be stated for all.
    TC.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    you have to have a history of texting canada if not, no release from contract
    My opinions and statements do not reflect the policies or stance of T-Mobile

T-Mobile, RSR

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    T-mobile will let you out of contract/force you out if use too much domestic roaming coverage.

Device(s)
    i communicate via shortwave radio
    Carrier(s)
    well they tried to trademark a color
    Feedback Score
    hahaha no there's zero chance you're getting out of your contract for this

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by candy for lunch View Post
    hahaha no there's zero chance you're getting out of your contract for this
    You obviously are unfamiliar with T-Mobile's Terms and Conditions. See section 5, subpoint b:

(B) WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE SERVICE ALLOTMENTS WE AGREED TO PROVIDE TO YOU FOR YOUR MONTHLY RECURRING CHARGE;

That's what happened in this case. They agreed to provide unlimited texting to Canada as a part of the monthly recurring charge for text messaging. The service allotment has now been decreased from unlimited to zero. Thus, they must let you out of the contract.

There is nothing in the terms and conditions about having to have a history of using the service in order to get out.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Actually no there ws always a charge for sms to canada just it went up

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    You obviously are unfamiliar with T-Mobile's Terms and Conditions. See section 5, subpoint b:

(B) WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE SERVICE ALLOTMENTS WE AGREED TO PROVIDE TO YOU FOR YOUR MONTHLY RECURRING CHARGE;

That's what happened in this case. They agreed to provide unlimited texting to Canada as a part of the monthly recurring charge for text messaging. The service allotment has now been decreased from unlimited to zero. Thus, they must let you out of the contract.

There is nothing in the terms and conditions about having to have a history of using the service in order to get out.
    actually no i am very familiar with the t&c

there is nothing indicating that text messaging to canada was free in the DOMESTIC unlimited text messaging package.

Feedback Score
    actually no i am very familiar with the t&c

there is nothing indicating that text messaging to canada was free in the DOMESTIC unlimited text messaging package.
    Sure it was. That's why T-Mobile sent out a notice stating that "messages to Canada from the US will be charged as international messages ($0.20 per message)." They changed their policy. And hence the whole point of this thread. They were just deducting texts to Canada from the message bucket prior to that.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    this is where you show the advertising and product info which states that domestic text messaging includes free text messaging to canada

Feedback Score
    this is where you show the advertising and product info which states that domestic text messaging includes free text messaging to canada
    Not really necessary to show that. T-Mobile is the one who sent out the notice saying that on a given date, they would treat texts to Canada as an international text and start charging $0.20 per text. Thus, the change is grounds to get out of the contract by the clause in the T&C that I cited previously.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play with Mophie battery pack (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    In the past, a change in pay-per-use charges, for minutes or the like, can be used as a valid excuse to break your contract without ETF. Doesn't matter if the text bucket used to include Canadian texts or not... It's still a change in contract.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast