Thread: JetBlue & UMA - QUESTION!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | $10 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING + $20 SPEED BOOST
    Feedback Score

Cool JetBlue & UMA - QUESTION!

Hello,

I will be flying JetBlue soon... I am wondering, does anyone know if I can make phone calls via my UMA device (Samsung flip-phone) while in the air on JetBlue's wifi?

-tmobiley
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    I tried it nearly 2 years ago on Virgin Air. I could connect, but the call dropped in less than 10 seconds. Made 3 or 4 attempts. As I recall, SMS went thru. I fly JB and VA several times a year. Going East, I take the red eye, so see no need to pay for wifi. Going West I leave in the evening, so no real need there either. VA has had wifi since its inception and has been free the past 2 years in Dec. and Jan - sponsored by Google. JB does NOT have wifi on its flites. At least as of 12 days ago<G>.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    HTC HD2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mob USA
    Feedback Score
    FWIW: AFAIK all US in-flight Wi-Fi providers explicitly ban voice (that includes UMA, Wi-Fi and VoIP calling in general, teleconferencing, voice/video messenger applications, etc.)
    ==> ePhonite <==

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ePhonite View Post
    FWIW: AFAIK all US in-flight Wi-Fi providers explicitly ban voice (that includes UMA, Wi-Fi and VoIP calling in general, teleconferencing, voice/video messenger applications, etc.)
    it is not true!
    I made many calls in the sky with UMA.
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Device(s)
    HTC HD2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mob USA
    Feedback Score
    > it is not true!
    > I made many calls in the sky with UMA.

Well, all you have to do is read the agreement for gogo in-flight internet, etc.
    And since you obviously have a problem with reading with understanding, I'll give it to you, again, straight up: all US in-flight Wi-Fi providers explicitly forbid all voice applications. You can probbaly do it but it violates the agreement.

As an aside, UMA = mixed Wi-Fi/cellular calling with seamless hand off. Very unlikely to work in-flight with any consistency. So you either used straight Wi-Fi calling (= VoIP) or plain cellular (which often works in-flight but is also illegal in the US.)

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    It is impossible to connect to a cell tower at 30000 ft. Try it. The plane won't fall out of the sky while you test it. A few airlines are actually thinking of offering "roaming" on their flites (overseas airlines - not domestic airlines afaik).
    The reason they put "no calling" in the terms of service is to have a reason to prevent people from annoying their fellow passengers. When I tried my UMA test a year ago Dec. during the Google free wifi month - I had the window seat. The middle was empty. As mentioned - the calls would not stay connected. I have not tried it since.
    I assume those w.o. UMA could try and connect via Skype.

...mike

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ePhonite View Post
    > it is not true!
    > I made many calls in the sky with UMA.

Well, all you have to do is read the agreement for gogo in-flight internet, etc.
    And since you obviously have a problem with reading with understanding, I'll give it to you, again, straight up: all US in-flight Wi-Fi providers explicitly forbid all voice applications. You can probbaly do it but it violates the agreement.

As an aside, UMA = mixed Wi-Fi/cellular calling with seamless hand off. Very unlikely to work in-flight with any consistency. So you either used straight Wi-Fi calling (= VoIP) or plain cellular (which often works in-flight but is also illegal in the US.)
    I am working for a major airlines .
    I made ton of UMA calls in the sky! even the call quality is horrible, but it works

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone View Post
    it is not true!
    I made many calls in the sky with UMA.
    So I will be able to use my Samsung Katalyst up in the air on JetBlue. How do I go about doing so?

I can text? And... voice (I assume...) with degraded quality?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmobiley View Post
    So I will be able to use my Samsung Katalyst up in the air on JetBlue. How do I go about doing so?

i thought you switched to MetroPCS
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    i thought you switched to MetroPCS
    It ended up working out that I was able to stay with T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmobiley View Post

NOT on JetBlue. They don't have wifi. They didn't have it on the last cross country flites a couple weeks ago and no mention of it is made on their web site today. They do have about 30+ TV channels and some movie channels for each passenger to watch.
    ...mike

Feedback Score
    Not true about the cellular at cruising altitude. I first tried this with a huge AMPS transportable. About 2000 before the airlines and the FAA got all wiggy about cell phones, I had my TDMA phone on for a whole flight, middle of the country. Went cell to cell very nicely.

Maybe something has changed, but I can't imagine how. Other than burdensome regulations.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    I never have picked up signal at 30000 feet or above - even over cities. Never tried it when I had the box sized transportable. As I recall, they operated at 3 watts - which is a lot more than modern phones do.

...mike