Thread: UMA Calling in England?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | $10 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING + $20 SPEED BOOST
    Feedback Score

Exclamation UMA Calling in England?

Visiting the UK (England, in specific) soon.

Can I use my Samsung flip-phone for WiFi calling via UMA?

How do I ensure I can not roam on international towers... can I turn off international roaming?

-tmobiley
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Device(s)
    Nokia C7 Astound
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My wife used her Samsung last summer in England over UMA. But it wasn't very reliable. It would often drop connection after a few minutes on a call. She was careful not to take it outside of the house she was staying at so it wouldn't roam.

You could also call customer service or use t-mobile.com to disable international roaming. I used my Blackberry which let's me turn off the GSM radio but keep Wifi and UMA on. I liked the flexibility of being able to text or make an emergency call if needed.

I'm taking my Nokia E73 there soon. I don't know how to turn off the GSM but leave Wifi on. Hopefully I'll find the answer before I go.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    We have used UMA mega times in about 10-15 countries - including the UK. Just used it the last 2 weeks of March in Portugal and Spain. Quality was like being at home. We have BBs, so can disable cell tower connection when making calls. Disabling intl. roaming should/would accomplish the same thing.
    Does the Nokia have UMA capability?
    Didn't know any newish Samsung did UMA.

...mike
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I used UMA a ton when I was in the UK. Just make sure that roaming is disabled and you have a reliable wifi signal. Weaker signal means that your connection is more likely to be dropped.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | $10 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING + $20 SPEED BOOST
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamCatcher68 View Post
    I used UMA a ton when I was in the UK. Just make sure that roaming is disabled and you have a reliable wifi signal. Weaker signal means that your connection is more likely to be dropped.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.

How do I ensure roaming is disabled? I have a Samsung T-409(?) - the blue Samsung UMA flip phone...

Is there a way to disable roaming on the account side?

Thanks,
    tmobiley

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmobiley View Post
    How do I ensure roaming is disabled? I have a Samsung T-409(?) - the blue Samsung UMA flip phone...

Is there a way to disable roaming on the account side?

Thanks,
    tmobiley
    Yes. Go online to MyTMobile and disable "World Class Roaming" or call CS and make sure they disable that feature. You'll register on cell towers, but can only make 112 (911) calls.
    ...mike

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I made at hundred calls from UK on UMA last month!
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Device(s)
    Treo 680P Unlocked, Nokia Nuron, Dash 3G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    Yes. Go online to MyTMobile and disable "World Class Roaming" or call CS and make sure they disable that feature. You'll register on cell towers, but can only make 112 (911) calls.
    ...mike
    I thought roaming was disabled by default and is only actived per request? TMobiley, were you able to disable world class roaming?

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSalam11 View Post
    I thought roaming was disabled by default and is only actived per request? TMobiley, were you able to disable world class roaming?

Sent via the HowardForums Android app
    I think you are right. It probably is "off" by default. I have had it on for 10+ years so forgot about that. I used to make use of intl. roaming until TM tripled their incoming rates from 29 cents to 99 cents/min a few years ago in many countries. (They did this to match ATT's rates.) Now use UMA 99% of the time for voice.