Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Please help me understand EDGE, GSM, WCDMA, 3G, etc.

Feedback Score
    For the 3rd time I did research before posting this but I didn't spend 3 hours on it either.

So I assume none of the HTC phones will work in 3G in Canada?

The Samsung Focus would work in 3G in Canada if I'm starting to understand these things right?

I'd still prefer the bigger screen and design of the HD7 over the Samsung Focus. I'd probably only use the cellular internet for minor things so the slow speed shouldn't be much of a problem. At least it has WiFi for where it's available to have high speed wireless.

I still think I will get the HD7 even if I'm limited to 2G, and I finally found it's something like 50-115kbps so it could be even faster than the old dial up internet so it's not that bad, I just won't use it to download large items.

I can buy and install apps & music through a wifi connection right? Or do some functions, other than voice calls, absolutely require the cellular connection and won't work with wifi?

Feedback Score
    One last thing, I know Bell offers the HD7, do they offer it even though it's limited to 2G, or does Bell have some other technology that's faster than 2G but that isn't 3G and works on the HD7?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aab View Post
    For the 3rd time I did research before posting this but I didn't spend 3 hours on it either.
    So I assume none of the HTC phones will work in 3G in Canada?
    Not true. HTC makes phones that have 3G 850MHz and 3G 1900MHz.

The Samsung Focus would work in 3G in Canada if I'm starting to understand these things right?
    Correct.

I still think I will get the HD7 even if I'm limited to 2G, and I finally found it's something like 50-115kbps so it could be even faster than the old dial up internet so it's not that bad, I just won't use it to download large items.
    2G EDGE data downlink speed is limited to 296kbps (class 32 device).

I can buy and install apps & music through a wifi connection right? Or do some functions, other than voice calls, absolutely require the cellular connection and won't work with wifi?
    Generally, you're right. It's very rare for apps to absolutely require a cellular data connection.

One last thing, I know Bell offers the HD7, do they offer it even though it's limited to 2G, or does Bell have some other technology that's faster than 2G but that isn't 3G and works on the HD7?
    This is the interesting part.... there are 2 versions of the HD7, and it's not easy to tell them apart. In fact there are 2 versions of many phones (like SonyEricsson X10i and SonyEricsson X10a), and you have to make sure you buy the correct version. On Bell's website, they list the specs for HD7 as follows:

UMTS/HSPA 850/1900
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900

So Bell's HD7 will actually work perfectly fine on Rogers 2G and Rogers 3G. It will also work fine on Bell 3G. Bell's 2G network is not even compatible as it uses a different technology.
    Last edited by sheytoon; 04-14-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    Oh wow that would be great as I was looking at one on ebay that's unlocked from Bell, so I'd get 3G on an HD7 if I buy an unlocked one from Bell?

Does anyone know the model number difference or way to tell which HD7 supports 3G in Canada?

Thanks for letting me know the Bell version supports 3G, I'll definitely put priority on winning that auction then, plus the seller is in my city.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aab View Post
    OMG this is ridiculous why couldn't it have been standard frequencies for 2G and 3G?
    Because Europe had the good fortune of having their infrastructure levelled in world war II, leaving the 2100 band free, whereas in North America large portions of spectrum were already being used for other things.

BC, roamin Ab, Sk, Mb, Ak, Wa, Or, Id, Mt, Ut & Wy.
    Device(s)
    Rogers Bold 9900 / T-mobile Bold 9900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers(Canada) T-Mobile(USA)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (9800 Torch: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.534 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Should we throw AWS into the mix to really muddy the waters?

Seriously though, there is a standard but it differ's from various regions in the world. Some handests are tri band, others quad band, and I've yet to see a 5 band 3G phone to accomodate the various combinations used by the different providers around the world or will make different versions of the same phone. But the frequencies used in europe and asia are different than north america, so also is TV signals such as the asian PAL vs north america's NTSC.

It is confusing yes, but there's a lot of information out there if you do a search, also quite often service providers have a tool or will let you know if a device will work with their network or not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolutar View Post
    Wirelessly posted (9800 Torch: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.534 Mobile Safari/534.8+)I've yet to see a 5 band 3G phone to accomodate the various combinations used by the different providers around the world
    Nokia makes penta-band UMTS/HSPA phones.

BC, roamin Ab, Sk, Mb, Ak, Wa, Or, Id, Mt, Ut & Wy.
    Device(s)
    Rogers Bold 9900 / T-mobile Bold 9900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers(Canada) T-Mobile(USA)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (9800 Torch: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.534 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolutar View Post
    Wirelessly posted (9800 Torch: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.534 Mobile Safari/534.8+)I've yet to see a 5 band 3G phone to accomodate the various combinations used by the different providers around the world
    Nokia makes penta-band UMTS/HSPA phones.
    Is it available in North America?

Feedback Score
    Yes, Wind sells the C7, and Rogers sells the N8. There may be others as well.

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Zolutar,

Also another Nokia from Bell (provided you have it unlocked)... C6-01 RM-601: 3G support in the UMTS Band I (2100) / II (1900) / IV (AWS) / V (850) / VIII (900).
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2