Thread: Palm Treo and Mac Snow Leopard not playing together! Suggestions?

Feedback Score

Question Palm Treo and Mac Snow Leopard not playing together! Suggestions?

I have a Treo 700p. It was working fine, until I upgraded my Mac to Snow Leopard, the new OS. Since then, I can't sync my phone and my Palm Desktop on my computer. It turns out that Palm/HP doesn't support Macs anymore.

Does anyone have a suggestion, other than to either de-install Snow Leopard (if that's even possible), or to get a new phone?

I wouldn't mind getting a new phone, except for two problems: I don't want to up the monthly amount of my bill, due to getting a new smartphone, and I like the Palm software for my my contacts and calendar.

Another BIG problem: there is no way to import my thousands of contacts and years of calendar listings without losing tons of info! I have lots of categories and custom fields that I use that I will lose with any method of importing it into another format. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    HP says: "Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager are not compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. Palm currently has no plans to release future versions of Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager for Palm OS. Customers do have options with third-party solutions such as The Missing Sync for Palm OS from Mark/Space."

Feedback Score
    That's the official line from HP. However, Mark/Space stopped making third-pary software to sync macs with Palm quite a while ago. And when I call HP, they just keep repeating this party line, even though it hasn't been true for over a year. I am stuck! Thank you for your input though.

Now what? I can't even export my several thousand contacts and years of calendar listings since I've updated to Snow Leopard. I've tried exporting to a v-file, but it wont' take most of my contacts and loses most of the data. The only thing I can think of is to uninstall Snow Leopard (if that's even possible) just to export the data.

I don't even know what other app to use instead of Palm. Addresss Book, the mac app, doesn't have the level of sophistication that I need, ie, lots of categories, and custom fields. Any suggestions on either issue?? Thank you!

Feedback Score

here's my workaround for this problem

http://www.lapzone.com/servlet/the-2...ismo-G3/Detail
    http://www.google.com/search?q=power...ismo+lowendmac

Keep the old Mac working; you can get these dirt cheap nowadays, and they still work fine. Keep your Palm desktop and an OS on an external drive, boot from that, and routinely export to a text file.

Tedious, I know.

The companies will keep making good stuff obsolete to force people to junk perfectly good hardware and software and buy new crap. Resist.

Feedback Score
    I don't have an old mac, just a '09 mac, but I only upgraded to Snow Leopard last fall. I am still using Palm Desktop, as it works well for me---except that I can't sync it anymore! So, can I still just sync the Palm Desktop to an external drive, and then sync my phone from there?? Or is it too late, because I've been using Palm with the Snow Leopard upgrade??

Or would I need to get an old mac to use it with?? That's odd and a rather expensive workaround (although it's good to know about the Pismo!). Too bad, I got rid of an old Cube a while ago (it was OS 9).

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
    That's the official line from HP. However, Mark/Space stopped making third-pary software to sync macs with Palm quite a while ago. And when I call HP, they just keep repeating this party line, even though it hasn't been true for over a year. I am stuck! Thank you for your input though.

Now what? I can't even export my several thousand contacts and years of calendar listings since I've updated to Snow Leopard. I've tried exporting to a v-file, but it wont' take most of my contacts and loses most of the data. The only thing I can think of is to uninstall Snow Leopard (if that's even possible) just to export the data.

I don't even know what other app to use instead of Palm. Addresss Book, the mac app, doesn't have the level of sophistication that I need, ie, lots of categories, and custom fields. Any suggestions on either issue?? Thank you!

Feedback Score
    checked lately? http://www.markspace.com/products/pa...uirements.html
    claims it will work with Snow Leopard. I haven't tried it myself.

Feedback Score
    Yes, but in an email from Mark/Space they say: "We do not support Palm desktop at this time. You would have to export your data from palm desktop into the format of vcal/vcard
    and import into ical/addressbook.

And on the link you gave they say: "The Missing Sync for Palm smartphones reliably synchronizes email contacts, phone numbers, IM names, contact photos and much more between Palm and Mac. Palm OS users prefer The Missing Sync to HotSync Manager and Palm Desktop because it is the most reliable synchronization software available, with full support for Address Book and Entourage."

Then our software (Missing Sync for Android) can sync that data from the desktop to the device.
    For Blackberry you would use the Missing Sync for BlackBerry."

All my data is in Palm Desktop! And when I've tried to transfer it to vcal/vcard repeatedly, it doesn't work. This is all because Palm no longer supports Macs, as of Snow Leopard. And Address Book and iCal are completely insufficient for the level of detail I have. Plus, I can't seem to get it out of Palm Desktop!!

I'm completely at my wits end with it. The only fixes I can think of are either to try to export everything to google contacts (if that works) and then to Outlook or Entourage and use Mark/Space after that to sync. But Entourage is no longer made, and Outlook is apparently so buggy it isn't worth it! Or maybe to deinstall Snow Leopard to enable me to get the data off Palm Desktop, but apparently, that is a very difficult, expensive task. Help!

Feedback Score
    hankr,

Would this work without an old Mac, just using an external hard drive with an older OS and Palm Desktop on that---and booting from that?? The only thing is, I use Palm Desktop all day long for contacts and calendar, and if it's a tedious chore to use it, it's not going to be practical.

It's completely ridiculous that this should be so darned difficult! I've spent months trying hard to figure out how to deal with this mess. If I'd known about it beforehand, I wouldn't have installed Snow Leopard without taking care of this first---arghh!

Quote Originally Posted by hankr View Post
    http://www.lapzone.com/servlet/the-2...ismo-G3/Detail
    http://www.google.com/search?q=power...ismo+lowendmac

Keep the old Mac working; you can get these dirt cheap nowadays, and they still work fine. Keep your Palm desktop and an OS on an external drive, boot from that, and routinely export to a text file.

Tedious, I know.

The companies will keep making good stuff obsolete to force people to junk perfectly good hardware and software and buy new crap. Resist.

Feedback Score
    I was a happy Palm user and I still use my Treo as a phone but I finally migrated all my Palm stuff off Palm Desktop after the Markspace stuff died as well.

I added an iPod Touch to be my main data device.

It did take a while to get stuff off the Palm OS and into Mac fully.

What I did was monk in all my addresses by hand into mac addressbook. Turns out it only took about a day to get them all in and not a steady day of typing but an elapsed day. I have about 700 contacts.

Notes that were in my custom fields and all the memos and other data on my Palm initially went into the mac program Yojimbo via missing sync, then I got them into Evernote with a direct import while I waited for DEVONThink To Go to come out. Finally a script to export Evernote into DTTG and bought DT on the mac.

Now I'm back with a suite of desktop apps (addressbook, DEVON Think Pro Office and iCal) that all sync with my iPod Touch and gives me all I had on the Palm plus I was able to add several other really nice apps like 1Password and Omnifocus.

I decided it was faster to just retype than try to find a conversion package that would transfer everything. I used the opportunity to weed out my contacts and update a bunch of things as well so it was time well spent.

Feedback Score
    Thank you! I just saw this reply.

Wowee, you did it manually! I have 2,162 contacts!! Plus the custom fields, many categories, and comments. This would be a huge project done manually. How many hours do you think it took you roughly?

It seems so ridiculous that there isn't a better solution. I also don't see Address Book being adequate for the level of complexity that I need, but don't know what other app to use instead. Erggh! Any ideas? I'm not familiar with Devon Think Pro, I'll have to check it out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
    Wowee, you did it manually! I have 2,162 contacts!! Plus the custom fields, many categories, and comments. This would be a huge project done manually. How many hours do you think it took you roughly?

It seems so ridiculous that there isn't a better solution. I also don't see Address Book being adequate for the level of complexity that I need, but don't know what other app to use instead. Erggh! Any ideas? I'm not familiar with Devon Think Pro, I'll have to check it out.
    I was using a bunch of custom fields and every contact had major notes. I moved the notes into either DEVONThink or 1Password depending on sensitivity of the contents. Custom fields I ended up moving into the note field in Mac Addressbook. I ran into limits in terms of notes there, can't remember what it was but that's part of why I had to put some in another package. I did a lot of cut/past between them.

I'd say I maybe spent about 4 hours total on my 700 contacts, but I couldn't do 4 hours straight, I had to do a batch then take a break and so on. I started out with about 900 contacts but in the process as I was moving each one over I deleted a bunch of folks I never deal with any more. I had a lot from previous jobs that were no longer relevant.

Addressbook is not as flexible. I lost a significant ability to do more free form searches. It can't always find contacts and it's hard to manage looking 2 places for all the data between them.

There aren't any really good alternatives either. I think knowing what I know now about the DEVONThink Pro Office and DTTG combination I'd seriously consider making that my main addressbook app. I may yet. It's a lot more free form and searching is fast. BUt then you'd lose the ability to create mailing labels from custom lists that addressbook has.

I won't use a cloud app for stuff that is that critical, we do not always have internet access so I need a stand alone app for my data or I'd look at Google.

I wish there were better solutions as well.