Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: If AT&T decided to remove your grandfather data plan?

Device(s)
    Treo 700P
    Carrier(s)
    Sprintpcs
    Feedback Score

If AT&T decided to remove your grandfather data plan?

What would Att subscribers do if Att was to remove our unlimited data plan. An put on to the gb usage data who would u honestly jump ship?

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using HowardForums
    Skunk!!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There are few places to which to jump. In a few months, Verizon will not have unlimited data plans. In a year or so AT&T Mobility and T-Mobile will be the same company. Jumping to Sprint is like jumpimg from the Titanic to the Lusitania. I expect Verizon to gobble up Sprint.
    Last edited by efparri; 03-23-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    So much for their claims of increased service for the customer, sounds more like more profits for AT&T and LESS service for customer base.

Feedback Score
    If AT$T took my unlimited data, i would jump ship to Sprint...

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just got unlimited 4G data on my Thunderbolt so I guess that it does exist

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    I just got unlimited 4G data on my Thunderbolt so I guess that it does exist
    but are you getting true 4G speeds or still on 3G speeds..??

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I would just jump into the water and hope I don't drown.
    Jumping to the next ship has its issues that I don't want to deal with.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    There are few places to which to jump. In a few months, Verizon will not have unlimited data plans. In a year or so AT&T Mobility and T-Mobile will be the same company. Jumping to Sprint is like jumpimg from the Titanic to the Lusitania. I expect Verizon to gobble up Sprint.
    maybe. vzw's being *really* cagey though. could be they throttle past some limit and you can pay to raise that (they started doing that, at least for new customers, at 9GB, *if* the site is busy). They could be planning speed tiers like cable or dsl. There is absolutely no reason to think they'll copy AT&T's ridiculous data plan.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Where have you been hiding? The Chief Financial Officer of Verizon announced that the carrier will end unlimited data plans sometime this summer. It probably will coincide with the release of the new iPhone.
    Last edited by efparri; 03-24-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Feedback Score
    Every carrier is going to have to move to tiered data. Data is already a higher percentage of network utilization than voice. Once VoLTE is out and voice utilization drops to, say, 10% of network utilization, it would make much, much more sense for voice to be unmetered than for data to be unmetered. In fact, the Any Mobile plans that AT&T and Sprint are pushing shows that voice usage is starting to become unmetered.

Heck, Verizon has announced that they're going to do it and Sprint's CEO Dan Hesse has weighed in saying that tiered data makes sense in the 4G world. So, it's incredibly unlikely that either of those companies will keep unlimited data past what is useful for marketing. Sprint's even gone so far as to add a $10 surcharge for all smartphones since smartphones tend to use more data. Rather than pricing based on how much one uses, Sprint has decided to price based on how much the average user with your device uses.

No one likes usage fees. However, voice is going to become a trivial amount of network traffic and unmetered or near unmetered while data usage is becoming the majority of network traffic with great disparity between people who stream audio and video a lot and those that check their email and the NY Times.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mdasen View Post
    Every carrier is going to have to move to tiered data. Data is already a higher percentage of network utilization than voice. Once VoLTE is out and voice utilization drops to, say, 10% of network utilization, it would make much, much more sense for voice to be unmetered than for data to be unmetered. In fact, the Any Mobile plans that AT&T and Sprint are pushing shows that voice usage is starting to become unmetered.

Heck, Verizon has announced that they're going to do it and Sprint's CEO Dan Hesse has weighed in saying that tiered data makes sense in the 4G world. So, it's incredibly unlikely that either of those companies will keep unlimited data past what is useful for marketing. Sprint's even gone so far as to add a $10 surcharge for all smartphones since smartphones tend to use more data. Rather than pricing based on how much one uses, Sprint has decided to price based on how much the average user with your device uses.

No one likes usage fees. However, voice is going to become a trivial amount of network traffic and unmetered or near unmetered while data usage is becoming the majority of network traffic with great disparity between people who stream audio and video a lot and those that check their email and the NY Times.
    Tying network congestion and data consumption is such a red herring and is nothing less than an unabashed money grab. If I consume all of my data at 3:00 AM when there's nobody on the network and plenty of bandwidth available, how is that a problem. Peak bandwidth is the limited resource, not data consumption. Most air interfaces already include "fairness" concepts so that one does not monopolize peak bandwidth. If the carriers want to do something about peak bandwidth, then they should implement peak/off peak pricing to discourage people from using the data network during peak hours and encourage usage during off-peak. Maybe even have unlimited data after 9:00 p.m. and limited consumption before. Just like voice minutes.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Does your computer go to sleep when you do? Data connectivity is a twenty-four hour per day phenomenon. Data networks do a lot of housekeepimg during nonpeak hours so their capacity might be reduced. It is not just the carrier's network which gets congested but also connections to external networks. Very little of a carrier's data traffic stays within the carrier's internal facilities. It is always daytime somewhere in the world. Three AM EDT is three PM in South Korea.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Does your computer go to sleep when you do? Data connectivity is a twenty-four hour per day phenomenon. Data networks do a lot of housekeepimg during nonpeak hours so their capacity might be reduced. It is not just the carrier's network which gets congested but also connections to external networks. Very little of a carrier's data traffic stays within the carrier's internal facilities. It is always daytime somewhere in the world. Three AM EDT is three PM in South Korea.
    I bet you have a lot of people sending emails to S. Korea at 3:00 AM!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    I bet you have a lot of people sending emails to S. Korea at 3:00 AM!
    What I am saying that just because you are asleep does not mean that the rest of the world is on your schedule. By the way, South Korea is one of the more data intensive countries in the world.
    Last edited by efparri; 03-24-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What I am saying that just because you are asleep does not mean that the rest of the world is on your schedule. By the way, South Korea is one of the more data intensive countries in the world.
    The always-on data services barely use bandwidth. Updating weather and checking email takes kilobytes. What uses a lot of bandwidth is surfing, streaming music and videos, emailing large attachments. That only happens when you are awake.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast