Thread: My iPhone Android Delima

Feedback Score

My iPhone Android Delima

I've owned my Motorola Droid since it came out and have been very pleased. That being said it's run it's course and I have an upgrade available. I've been patiently waiting on the Thunderbolt or Bionic and now this happens.

I went out of town last weekend and borrowed my son's new ipod touch 32gb that he got for Christmas, the latest and greatest. I still have an old hard drive ipod but I wanted to download a movie and have some of my son's games for the trip. Stuff I couldn't do on my old ipod. And although I can play angry birds on my droid let's face it, the steps to rip and download a movie to my Android are difficult at best.

Last Thursday evening before an early Friday am flight I synced my music play-list's and my pod-cast's to my son's ipod. it took all of 7 or 8 minutes. I then rented and downloaded a movie from the itunes store for the plane trip. The download took about 30min and synced to the ipod in just a few minutes.

I'm not sure if I'm trying to talk myself into switching to the iphone or waiting on a new droid. The bottom line is there are some features on the iphone that still are not duplicated on Android or features that are simply simple.

I do use my phone for music and although we have doubletwist it's just not the same. Watching a movie on the phone is only going to happen when I'm on a plane but the ease at which I was able to download and watch the movie vs the steps it would take to make it happen on my droid are beyond comparison right now.

Tell me what I'm missing guys. Do I have to have the latest and greatest 4g phone when it finally becomes available in the next few weeks (maybe) or would I be happy with the ease of use and integration of Apple and give Android developers another year or two to develop a real itunes store competitor?

BTW, I have 5 phones on a family plan so I have enough upgrade dates scattered about.

Cleave

Device(s)
    Huawei P30 Pro 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    VodaCom
    Feedback Score
    I would say get the iPhone4 32GB and wait until Android2.4 is here, like you said, you have enough upgrade dates scattered so if i were you i would take the opportunity to test the waters and give iOS and even WP7 a go.
    Samsung GALAXY Note 4 32GB +128GB MicroSDXC Charcoal Black
    Apple iPad 4 WIFI+4G LTE 16GB White
    "World can't hold me, too much ambition."Jay-Z

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Are there no other legal services in the U.S. do purchase movies? Amazon? I've never had an issue transferring TV shows or movies to my phone. Personally I find it much easier to drag and drop than to sync. Wait till you start getting multiple devices and trying to sync on the same computer.

Rockplayer plays pretty much any video file. As for games, at the moment iPhone is the clear out winner there. I'm hoping with the release of the xperia Play and recent stats that show Android is now the largest phone OS in the U.S. more games should be forth coming.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Why do you still need an iPhone? All I see is a case is get yourself an iPod Touch.

I own various Androids but guess what, I've got an iPod Touch since the first came out in 2007. My current iPod Touch is a 64gb. I carry Androids in holsters around my belt but my pocket always has an iPod Touch.

Playing music, movies and games, is not for me, personally, the reasons for picking a phone. Its a good reason to pick an iPad or an iPod Touch but not an iPhone. In the end, I prefer an Android because its a lot more fun and a bigger bang to use, not necessarily more friendly, get better radio and voice quality, enjoy a better overall phone quality and design (the truth is that an iPhone is an engineering nightmare). I love multitasking, I love widgets, I love notifications, I love Google apps and I love a superior approach to the Cloud.

So yeah, get yourself the latest Droid and an iPod Touch and enjoy the best of both worlds.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input guys,

Drillbit you've definitely helped the case for sticking with Android. For years I spent money on programs that would sync my contacts and calendar from Outlook to my phone. They worked about half the time and you usually ended up with duplicates. That's really all I ever wanted. Easy integration. Now with Google I get perfect syncing with email, contacts and calendar; music and games are really just icing and extra's.

Feedback Score
    Get Rockplayer for Android, then just drop whatever you want to watch on the SD card and watch it. Not all that difficult, really.

Feedback Score
    If u like to watch movies, You can't use Netflix on android, only iPhone and windows.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using HowardForums app
    WIND . :::TELUS

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Playing music, movies and games, is not for me, personally, the reasons for picking a phone. Its a good reason to pick an iPad or an iPod Touch but not an iPhone.
    It's a matter of personal preference, really. Not everyone wants to deal with multiple devices. If convergence and media consumption of the type listed in the OP are priorities then the iPhone may be a good option. What makes a good fit for you doesn't necessarily make for a good fit for the next person.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    In the end, I prefer an Android because its a lot more fun and a bigger bang to use, not necessarily more friendly, get better radio and voice quality, enjoy a better overall phone quality and design (the truth is that an iPhone is an engineering nightmare). I love multitasking, I love widgets, I love notifications, I love Google apps and I love a superior approach to the Cloud.
    That's all fine and well but it's what cleave prefers that really matters. The things you enjoy above aren't listed in the OP. And, again, better is always a highly subjective word.

Quote Originally Posted by cleave View Post
    Drillbit you've definitely helped the case for sticking with Android. For years I spent money on programs that would sync my contacts and calendar from Outlook to my phone. They worked about half the time and you usually ended up with duplicates. That's really all I ever wanted. Easy integration. Now with Google I get perfect syncing with email, contacts and calendar; music and games are really just icing and extra's.
    Perfect syncing with Outlook? Or are you comparing apples to oranges here? Most Android devices don't seem to come with Outlook sync out of the box.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by briareus View Post
    Perfect syncing with Outlook? Or are you comparing apples to oranges here? Most Android devices don't seem to come with Outlook sync out of the box.
    That was more of a "back in the day" quote. All I used to want out of a phone was syncing with my email program including calendar and contacts. Now with gmail I have that. I used to spend all kinds of time and money trying to get my phone to sync with my computer. Razr, Moto Q, Countless LG devices, etc...

Device(s)
    64 GB iPhone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Cleave, I feel your pain. I have an iPhone 4. This is my 3rd iphone. The UI is a little long in the tooth. I am not strictly an Apple fan. I am a gadget/smartphone lover. The iphone happens to be the big kid on the block for now due to the way everything(apps,games,etc) are catering to the iOS. I have been wanting to try WP7, WebOS, or Android for a while now. But all of them seem to be highly lacking in the App and game department, along with the ease of sync factor. If one platform catches up to iOS in Apps, I will try it. Right now, I'm waiting to see what new Androids will be released between now and the fall. And I'm waiting to see what the iphone 5 will bring. I went into an At&t store a couple of weeks ago set to by an Atrix and, my salesperson advised me to wait. They know I like the latest and greatest.

I think you'd enjoy having a phone that can handle all of your needs. I'm not trying to sell you on the iphone 4 but, it's great being able to share apps on multiple devices. If you by a game for your son or if he buys one you can share. I have 3 on my plan and my wife and I share everything. I love it. We both still have ipods though. She has the new Nano and I have the ipod classic. Not enough memory on the phone for all of my apps, games, music, videos, and podcasts lol. I'd probably just get the iPhone 4 for now and upgrade later lol. You can always give it to someone else on your plan. But what will you do with the iPod touch, if they release a new one when the iphone 5 comes out?

Feedback Score
    It does sound like getting an iPhone 4 is the best idea for you right now especially since you have a few upgrades waiting in line you might as well take advantage of getting as much out of it as you can. Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys! I pulled the hammer and it's on a FedEx truck due to the house sometime today.

I will go the iphone route for a while and see how it goes. It really makes no sense to buy the next Thunderbolt or Bionic. It's gonna be a year or two before the bugs are worked out of 4g anyway, battery issues associated with the faster processors, etc... and in another year I can check out the latest 4g Android or iphone 5. Plus, we still don't know for sure it they are going to try and charge us more for 4g LTE. I'm comfortable where my bill is now. Let's let a year or so roll by on 4g and see where we stand on phones and data and such.

Cleave