Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T 4G and dropped calls

Device(s)
    HTC G2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (US)
    Feedback Score

AT&T 4G and dropped calls

I've been debating on switching from T-mobile. This is on-topic.. ish but this is a better place since I'm discussing other options too.

Does the 4G work? REALLY WORK?

Are people still experiencing tons of dropped calls, or has that improved?

I've got a HTC g2 at the moment, and considering the Atrix.
    HTC/Google/G2/T-mobile

www.BetterThanApple.NET

Feedback Score
    I don't have an answer for you, but I am also interested in the responses. I want to switch to Verizon and get the HTC Thunderbolt, but have pretty much had it with Verizon postponing the release. I was thinking of getting the AT&T Inspire instead but was curious about the "4g" quality.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    4G is not all that it could be because of AT&T 1) Crippling devices 2) Being way behind on fiber deployment for HSPA+
    Bye!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markmi300 View Post
    I don't have an answer for you, but I am also interested in the responses. I want to switch to Verizon and get the HTC Thunderbolt, but have pretty much had it with Verizon postponing the release. I was thinking of getting the AT&T Inspire instead but was curious about the "4g" quality.
    Verizon's 4G is LTE which will deliver much better speed's, with AT&T crippling speed's on these device's it's not even as fast as "3G"

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    Verizon's 4G is LTE which will deliver much better speed's, with AT&T crippling speed's on these device's it's not even as fast as "3G"
    I just activated service on AT&T today. I am using my Unlocked G2 until I decide on a phone. As for phones I am looked at the Inspire and Atrix. Both are nice but Motoblur sucks.

As for LTE vs HSPA+, my G2 when, I can get a signal pulls 8MB Down and 3MB Up. Faster than LTE and Wimax on Sprint. Sprint has Backhaul work to do.

In the end I may go the way of the iPhone to end carrying a phone, iPad and iPhone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg 23 View Post
    As for LTE vs HSPA+, my G2 when, I can get a signal pulls 8MB Down and 3MB Up. Faster than LTE and Wimax on Sprint. Sprint has Backhaul work to do.
    OK now lets see some screenshots of 8mbps down and 3mbps up on AT&T.

Thanks.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Feedback Score
    I just activated service on AT&T today. I am using my Unlocked G2 until I decide on a phone. As for phones I am looked at the Inspire and Atrix. Both are nice but Motoblur sucks.

In the end I may go the way of the iPhone to end carrying a phone, iPad and iPhone.
    Hmm. LTE on Sprint should be very fast since it doesn't exist. As for LTE vs. HSPA+, LTE is a lot faster. I am getting 28-30mbps on Verizon LTE.

Also I have the G2, 3 Up isn't even possible since it's only capable of HSUPA 2Mbit/s

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dual carrier HSPA+ will most definitely increase average speed where they do have the spectrum to deploy it with AWS. AT&T 4G is quite pathetic at this point.. I don't know what they're doing but 3G is the best way to describe it. With LTE plans in '11 it makes not a lick of sense to label this as 4G. My DEFY (which honestly is much slower than my Vibrant on T-Mobile) pulled in triple the speeds that AT&T did at the same location with a 4G phone which is what my reasoning behind that is. LTE will be much faster because it's not shared with 3G devices so it only makes sense + word is getting around that "AT&T 4G" is slower than Verizon LTE and T-Mobile HSPA+.
    Today

vs the DEFY

Didn't test on my Vibrant because it had my AT&T sim card in it but these speeds are commonplace for AT&T's 4G.. it does get better but most of what I see is this.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    OK now lets see some screenshots of 8mbps down and 3mbps up on AT&T.

Thanks.
    I get those on T-Mobile. I am sure you know an unlocked phone from T-Mobile or AT&T, when moved to the opposite network only gets you Edge because of 3G Bands on the phone.

I can not test AT&T, I am interested on what people get since I have not selected a AT&T phone to test 3G or "4".

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=locust43;14305892]Hmm. LTE on Sprint should be very fast since it doesn't exist. As for LTE vs. HSPA+, LTE is a lot faster. I am getting 28-30mbps on Verizon LTE.

I know Sprint has Wimax. I said LTE and WiMax on Sprint. Sorry I got 2.9 Up. Here is a picture of my phone Speedtest that I snapped with my iTouch.

I snapped it with a Wifi test as well to display the difference.

Getting 28-30mpbs on LTE has been shown to be on networks with NOBODY on them. Everyone else is getting 7-12mbps.

In the end you will get to your cap quicker on AT&T and VZW.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    Dual carrier HSPA+ will most definitely increase average speed where they do have the spectrum to deploy it with AWS. AT&T 4G is quite pathetic at this point.. I don't know what they're doing but 3G is the best way to describe it. With LTE plans in '11 it makes not a lick of sense to label this as 4G. My DEFY (which honestly is much slower than my Vibrant on T-Mobile) pulled in triple the speeds that AT&T did at the same location with a 4G phone which is what my reasoning behind that is. LTE will be much faster because it's not shared with 3G devices so it only makes sense + word is getting around that "AT&T 4G" is slower than Verizon LTE and T-Mobile HSPA+.
    Today

vs the DEFY

Didn't test on my Vibrant because it had my AT&T sim card in it but these speeds are commonplace for AT&T's 4G.. it does get better but most of what I see is this.

I just wish AT&T and T-Mobile would stop using "4G". Its 3G and the H+ shows all the time on both carriers but generally is not. I moved to a custom rom on my G2 with only not shows 3G+. It spots where I got HSPA+ it is now just 3G+.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just wish AT&T and T-Mobile would stop using "4G". Its 3G and the H+ shows all the time on both carriers but generally is not. I moved to a custom rom on my G2 with only not shows 3G+. It spots where I got HSPA+ it is now just 3G+.
    The entire 3G network is HSPA, and if I recall correctly the only thing the G2 showed was HSPA or H.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Big Dawg 23;14306260]
    Hmm. LTE on Sprint should be very fast since it doesn't exist. As for LTE vs. HSPA+, LTE is a lot faster. I am getting 28-30mbps on Verizon LTE.

I know Sprint has Wimax. I said LTE and WiMax on Sprint. Sorry I got 2.9 Up. Here is a picture of my phone Speedtest that I snapped with my iTouch.

I snapped it with a Wifi test as well to display the difference.

Getting 28-30mpbs on LTE has been shown to be on networks with NOBODY on them. Everyone else is getting 7-12mbps.

In the end you will get to your cap quicker on AT&T and VZW.
    The speedtest was inaccurate then because it's impossible for the upload to be faster than what the radio allow's. But real world on LTE with nobody on the network people are getting 40-50mbps, HSPA+ real world under similar condition's won't be faster than LTE. And AT&T is only saying their "4G" market's HSPA+ will yield 6mbps which is actually just 3G. WiMax on Sprint claim 3-6 average and bursts up to 10 which is still "3G". Unless you root and flash the Inspire it's not really going to be fast.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=locust43;14306273]
    The speedtest was inaccurate then because it's impossible for the upload to be faster than what the radio allow's. But real world on LTE with nobody on the network people are getting 40-50mbps, HSPA+ real world under similar condition's won't be faster than LTE. And AT&T is only saying their "4G" market's HSPA+ will yield 6mbps which is actually just 3G. WiMax on Sprint claim 3-6 average and bursts up to 10 which is still "3G". Unless you root and flash the Inspire it's not really going to be fast.

It is concerning that you have to root to fix things. My boss has the MIFI for Sprint. He leaves it on for the both of us to use with our iPads. When I have done a speed test, my G2 is much faster if and when I snag HSPA+.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Big Dawg 23;14306903]

It is concerning that you have to root to fix things. My boss has the MIFI for Sprint. He leaves it on for the both of us to use with our iPads. When I have done a speed test, my G2 is much faster if and when I snag HSPA+.
    Haha you have to flash to a European rom on the inspire to get the speeds unfortunately.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4 using HowardForums app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast