Thread: Are there an clamshell fliphones that AT&T classifies as a smartphone BESIDES the BB?

Feedback Score

Are there an clamshell fliphones that AT&T classifies as a smartphone BESIDES the BB?

I've never liked the layout of the keys on the Blackberrys so i want a simple T9 clamshell style flip that is classified as a smartphone. This will be used as strictly a backup phone but the other line i have has the unlimited data grandfathered so i don't want to risk losing that on a non-smartphone flip.

Device(s)
    Samsung Flahships
    Carrier(s)
    truemove
    Feedback Score
    The at&t branded Nokia N75

Just in case you were unaware, according to employee posts I have read, the "grandfathering" of unltd data is tied to the IMEI (your current phone) that is active on the account. Moving to a dumbphone IMEI should not cause any issues... it's when you switch to a different smartphone IMEI that you risk losing the old plan.

It's not that I want you to get hurt... I just wanna be there when it happens

Phone History: Nokia 6230b | Nokia 6682 | Nokia N75 | Nokia E71x | Nokia E71-2 | Nokia E6-00

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think I'd go after the Nokia 6650 over the N75.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alphatrauma View Post
    The at&t branded Nokia N75

Just in case you were unaware, according to employee posts I have read, the "grandfathering" of unltd data is tied to the IMEI (your current phone) that is active on the account. Moving to a dumbphone IMEI should not cause any issues... it's when you switch to a different smartphone IMEI that you risk losing the old plan.
    Let's say I have a dumbphone with unltd dumbphone data and I buy a smartphone for that line. Will I be able to get unltd data on the smartphone from ATT?

If not will I be able to buy an unbranded smartphone and get unltd data?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using HowardForums app

Feedback Score
    Oh i was under the impression that the smartphone unltd data plan worked no matter what smartphone you used and it was when you started using a dumbphone with that plan that ATT could tell and downgrade your data plan? Not true?

I actually have a 6650 laying around but that's why i never used it on either of my 2 family lines with the grandfathered unltd data.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No, AT&T will leave the smartphone data on when you put your SIM in a dumb phone.
    One I know of is the old Cingular 3125. I don't know if the system "recognizes" it as a smartphone though as it's so old.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by petard View Post
    No, AT&T will leave the smartphone data on when you put your SIM in a dumb phone.
    One I know of is the old Cingular 3125. I don't know if the system "recognizes" it as a smartphone though as it's so old.
    What about the opposite? Dumpphone unltd data then buy an unbranded device. Will I still get unltd data?

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mpossoff View Post
    What about the opposite? Dumpphone unltd data then buy an unbranded device. Will I still get unltd data?

Works on most, search the forum, many people have asked about this.
    I currently use $10 unlimited messaging data with my Desire Z.

Device(s)
    Samsung Flahships
    Carrier(s)
    truemove
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mpossoff View Post
    Let's say I have a dumbphone with unltd dumbphone data and I buy a smartphone for that line. Will I be able to get unltd data on the smartphone from ATT?

If not will I be able to buy an unbranded smartphone and get unltd data?
    You will need to put a request in through CS to keep your old unltd data with a new Smartphone, it's called "Smartphone Exclusion". Some have had luck, others haven't... it's hit or miss. In my opinion, going unbranded is THE way to go to keep your grandfathered plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniacal1 View Post
    Oh i was under the impression that the smartphone unltd data plan worked no matter what smartphone you used and it was when you started using a dumbphone with that plan that ATT could tell and downgrade your data plan? Not true?
    at&t will only penalize you if you switch to a different or new Smartphone. Dumbphones are are safe, and you can move in and out of them at will.

If you haven't had a chance, give this thread a read

Smart Phone content: solving the "system sweep" dilemma