Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Unlocked phones advantages

Device(s)
    HTC Vivid with ICS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have used unbranded phones for many years starting with Nokia's and then moving on to Android. I have owned SE unbranded, and the HTC Desire and the HTC Desire Z which by the way is not really a unbranded phone because it is from BELL Mobility in Canada and does have the Bell Bloatware on it.

I sold the Desire and the Desire Z on e-bay and lost my back side on it, I only got half of what I purchased them for. I wanted the Desire HD but when Telus released it the going price for it unlocked was $800.00 and no it is not unbranded because it comes from Telus in Canada, and yes the one from that online store is from Telus even though it does not say that on the site!!!

Well after spending alot of money on all of those phones and then getting skinned when I sold them I decided that since the Inspire is really the Desire HD with a really DUMB AT&T Name, that I would get it and root it, and unbrand it myself and not spend a ton of money. So that is what I did and I now have a HD where the only thing AT&T on it is the name on the back of the phone.

For all that will say what about the warranty, well returning to stock is as simple as flashing the stock AT&T RUU back on it, and I have downloaded a copy of it on my computer just as a backup.

As for the Data sure I lost my unlimited dumbphone but I figure that is better than putting out so much for a phone and then it being worth nothing when I want to sell it, besides I use mostly wifi.

Also the HD has a 4.3 inch screen, it dwarfs the iphone. I put them side by side when I purchased my HD from AT&T.
    HTC Vivid with 4.0.3.7 ICS Offical AT&T release

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe3754 View Post
    I have used unbranded phones for many years starting with Nokia's and then moving on to Android. I have owned SE unbranded, and the HTC Desire and the HTC Desire Z which by the way is not really a unbranded phone because it is from BELL Mobility in Canada and does have the Bell Bloatware on it.

I sold the Desire and the Desire Z on e-bay and lost my back side on it, I only got half of what I purchased them for. I wanted the Desire HD but when Telus released it the going price for it unlocked was $800.00 and no it is not unbranded because it comes from Telus in Canada, and yes the one from that online store is from Telus even though it does not say that on the site!!!

Well after spending alot of money on all of those phones and then getting skinned when I sold them I decided that since the Inspire is really the Desire HD with a really DUMB AT&T Name, that I would get it and root it, and unbrand it myself and not spend a ton of money. So that is what I did and I now have a HD where the only thing AT&T on it is the name on the back of the phone.

For all that will say what about the warranty, well returning to stock is as simple as flashing the stock AT&T RUU back on it, and I have downloaded a copy of it on my computer just as a backup.

As for the Data sure I lost my unlimited dumbphone but I figure that is better than putting out so much for a phone and then it being worth nothing when I want to sell it, besides I use mostly wifi.

Also the HD has a 4.3 inch screen, it dwarfs the iphone. I put them side by side when I purchased my HD from AT&T.
    Yes the inspire is $399 full price no commitment.

Is it the same as the desire hd? Shame it doesn't have a front facing camera.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Wow. you sold your Desire Z. I'm still contemplating choosing between that phone and the Samsung Galaxy S i9000

Device(s)
    HTC Vivid with ICS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes it is the same phone as I said the inprire is the stupid name that AT&T stuck on it, I now have a custom rom for the Desire HD loaded on it.

Neither the Desire, Desire z or the Desire HD have front camera's on them.

I purchased mine for $299.00 on a early upgrade.

Device(s)
    HTC Vivid with ICS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard400 View Post
    Wow. you sold your Desire Z. I'm still contemplating choosing between that phone and the Samsung Galaxy S i9000
    Yes I sold my Desire z because it was way to hard to root and get rid of the Bloat on it and Bell removed the Google navagation and replaced it with some high priced Navtec crap, and without root it could not be removed!!!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes it is the same phone as I said the inprire is the stupid name that AT&T stuck on it, I now have a custom rom for the Desire HD loaded on it.

Neither the Desire, Desire z or the Desire HD have front camera's on them.

I purchased mine for $299.00 on a early upgrade.
    How easy is it to root?

I can get this on a 1 year contract.

Feedback Score
    Too hard to root? Well, that pretty much makes me want to choose the Samsung i9000. more flash memory storage, and a front facing camera. just no QWERTY. Good thing I was able to know about your experience with it. But sorry that you lost some money in the process

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Too hard to root? Well, that pretty much makes me want to choose the Samsung i9000. more flash memory storage, and a front facing camera. just no QWERTY. Good thing I was able to know about your experience with it. But sorry that you lost some money in the process
    The inspire/desire hd would be great with a front facing camera.

This is why I'm leaning towards the atrix. However the inspire hardware puts the atrix to shame.

Device(s)
    HTC Vivid with ICS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I said the Desire Z is to hard to root the desire HD is not that hard at all if you can follow instructions and do some simple commands on the command prompt, the rooting program is very easy for this phone.
    The inspire has 4Gb internal memory but AT&T has bloated it up to where you have less tham 1GB but after rooting it frees up the memory alot. As for the front facing camera why would you care?? I don't even use the 8MP camera on back!!! Plus how long do you think the battery will last with that processor in that Atrix????

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I said the Desire Z is to hard to root the desire HD is not that hard at all if you can follow instructions and do some simple commands on the command prompt, the rooting program is very easy for this phone.
    The inspire has 4Gb internal memory but AT&T has bloated it up to where you have less tham 1GB but after rooting it frees up the memory alot. As for the front facing camera why would you care?? I don't even use the 8MP camera on back!!! Plus how long do you think the battery will last with that processor in that Atrix????
    Do you mind posting a link on how to root the inspire? And with the root can it be unlocked.

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    There is no guarantee that AT&T will not recognize it as a smartphone and bill you accordingly. Even if it works, you are still paying $930 over two years for the phone plus the data plan. Since AT&T will use a separate APN and data plan for HSPA+, you will not get the highest speed using a basic phone data plan which uses the wap.cingular APN.

Last time I checked Smartphone plan uses wap.cingular. MEdia Net uses wap.cingular. They are the same plan.

When do you say this changed, what new APN?
    More Bars in More Places.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is a thread on that subject. http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hlight=HSPA%2B

The settings are locked and uneditable.
    HSPA+ DataPro Data Plan:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...tId=cat1360001
    HSPA+ DataPlus Data Plan:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...tId=cat1360001
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    I knew you said you can root the desire HD. but i was referring to the Desire Z. I did a bit of reading on the forums and found out it's harder to root the new Desire Zs because HTC updated them (unlike the ones sold earlier). I am going to get a pre rooted used or new Desire Z to get around this. The i9000 has a faster processor, but it's meaningless if you can get a desire Z overclocked to faster speeds, plus there is flash on the camera. unlike the Samsung's Galaxy S. Man, 4GB of internal and AT&T leaves the customer with only 1GB freespace?

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I knew you said you can root the desire HD. but i was referring to the Desire Z. I did a bit of reading on the forums and found out it's harder to root the new Desire Zs because HTC updated them (unlike the ones sold earlier). I am going to get a pre rooted used or new Desire Z to get around this. The i9000 has a faster processor, but it's meaningless if you can get a desire Z overclocked to faster speeds, plus there is flash on the camera. unlike the Samsung's Galaxy S. Man, 4GB of internal and AT&T leaves the customer with only 1GB freespace?
    The Desire Z and G2 are also like that with internal storage. What it turned out to be on the Desire Z is that chip is capable of being a slow 4GB chip or a fast 2GB chip. HTC configured it as a fast 2GB chip and the OS and cache take up about 1GB and 1GB is left for user data.
    The thing is with Android, 1GB is a TON of space for what is allowed to go in that space. That storage space is reserved for applications and their data. Nothing else can go there, no music, no photos, no videos. All of that goes on to the SD card.
    You basically will never fill up 1GB of applications. The biggest most are are around 5MB and there is a small number that go over that.

Also, I just ordered another Desire Z from Negri Electronics for another line of mine and it came with the old software version. I'm not so sure how hard the newer is to root, but I saw a thread on XDA-Developers about downgrading the new software tot he old one, so you can give that a look.

Yes I sold my Desire z because it was way to hard to root and get rid of the Bloat on it and Bell removed the Google navagation and replaced it with some high priced Navtec crap, and without root it could not be removed!!!
    Too hard to get root? Did you even try? I rooted, unlocked the bootloader, and was running CM7 on that new Desire Z within an hour of taking it out of the box.

Here is the tutorial for rooting and installing a custom ROM.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...FDZ.29_and_DHD

Feedback Score
    Thanks so much for the info! I actually bought a 2month old pre rooted desire z for 425 on ebay using a coupon and it inclided accesories + microsd 16gb class 10 card. I should have have actually searched the xda forums with the "vision" name instead of desire z or G2.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast