Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Unlocked phones advantages

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Unlocked phones advantages

I've been reading some threads about these unlocked phones.

I also been looking at some online sellers.

What's the advantage of buying an unlocked phone?

For instance ATT sells the htc inspire at full price for $399. An online seller sells unlocked htc desire for around $500.

I might go this route but would like to know the advantages and disadvantages.

Regards!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you get a phone that ATT doesn't have in their system (eg canadian android phones) you only pay the dumbphone unlimited plan for $15 a month or $10 if your on a family plan

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Unlocked handsets can be used with any GSM carrier worldwide with the right voice/data frequencies built in the phone.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mpossoff View Post
    I've been reading some threads about these unlocked phones.

I also been looking at some online sellers.

What's the advantage of buying an unlocked phone?

For instance ATT sells the htc inspire at full price for $399. An online seller sells unlocked htc desire for around $500.

I might go this route but would like to know the advantages and disadvantages.

Regards!

Unlocked alone is meaningless to the carrier. The carrier is unable to tell whether your phone is unlocked or not. An unlocked phone issued by AT&T would work the same way as the locked phone. Unlocking is simply a local issue between the phone and SIM card. The term which has meaning in this situation is unbranded.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom28 View Post
    If you get a phone that ATT doesn't have in their system (eg canadian android phones) you only pay the dumbphone unlimited plan for $15 a month or $10 if your on a family plan
    So I can purchase a desire z:

http://negrielectronics.com/htc-desi...-unlocked.html

And pay unltd dumbphone data and be able to access ATT 3G network?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is no guarantee that AT&T will not recognize it as a smartphone and bill you accordingly. Even if it works, you are still paying $930 over two years for the phone plus the data plan. Since AT&T will use a separate APN and data plan for HSPA+, you will not get the highest speed using a basic phone data plan which uses the wap.cingular APN.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    There is no guarantee that AT&T will not recognize it as a smartphone and bill you accordingly. Even if it works, you are still paying $930 over two years for the phone plus the data plan. Since AT&T will use a separate APN and data plan for HSPA+, you will not get the highest speed using a basic phone data plan which uses the wap.cingular APN.
    Ok so what's the advantage then if I wanted to buy an unbranded device and don't mind paying for access to ATT 3G data network using wap.Cingular?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Get a Vibrant for $250 and ATT 3G in most places. Cheapest option for dumbphone data.

Sent from my Vibrant

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    Get a Vibrant for $250 and ATT 3G in most places. Cheapest option for dumbphone data.

Sent from my Vibrant
    I'm not a big fan of Samsung.

I don't mind paying for unltd data which I'm grandfathered into($30/month).

I'm trying to figure out the advantages of buying an unbranded device.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Unless your next phone is recognized as a smartphone you will lose the $30 unlimited smartphone data plan and never be able to get it back. Getting a "4G" phone does not protect the unlimited smartphone data plan since it has a separate class of data plans:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...tId=cat1360001

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Unless your next phone is recognized as a smartphone you will lose the $30 unlimited smartphone data plan and never be able to get it back. Getting a "4G" phone does not protect the unlimited smartphone data plan since it has a separate class of data plans:
    Was looking into getting the inspire at full retail no commitment pricing or the atrix.

Then I started reading about unbranded devices like the desire z.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So I can purchase a desire z:

http://negrielectronics.com/htc-desi...-unlocked.html

And pay unltd dumbphone data and be able to access ATT 3G network?

Yes you will. I currently use a Desire Z. I also got mine from Negri Electronics. I'm on $10 unlimited data (you can get that if you have unlimited messaging).
    There are no guarantees, though. There is nothing stopping AT&T from adding more unbranded smartphone IMEIs into their system. They just currently don't do it for anything other than the Nexus phones and the iPhone. They also will recognize some phones that they sell a variant of, such as the X10 no matter where you get it.

Was looking into getting the inspire at full retail no commitment pricing or the atrix.

Then I started reading about unbranded devices like the desire z.

If you don't mind a contract, buy an Atrix or iPhone 4 and then sell it and switch to dumbphone data to use in a Desire Z. The Desire Z ends up costing around $250 - $300 after profit from the Atrix or iPhone and you quickly make up that $50 - $100 difference with the cheap data plan.

Device(s)
    nokia N75
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    The advantage, data plans aside, is that you get the operating system unmessed with. This used to be a big deal. I think it's less so now.
    ATT used to load the devices they sold with crap & locked them down so they would not do the things the designers intended. I think the iphone experience changed things for ATT. Apple was not going to let a bunch of ATT control freaks ruin their device. (Apple has their own control freaks) It used to be that a manufacturer like Nokia (RIP) for instance, would announce a new device, reviewers would detail it's features, and then ATT would offer it crippled. Much to our disappointment. Anyone know how much that happens now?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by petard View Post
    Yes you will. I currently use a Desire Z. I also got mine from Negri Electronics. I'm on $10 unlimited data (you can get that if you have unlimited messaging).
    There are no guarantees, though. There is nothing stopping AT&T from adding more unbranded smartphone IMEIs into their system. They just currently don't do it for anything other than the Nexus phones and the iPhone. They also will recognize some phones that they sell a variant of, such as the X10 no matter where you get it.

If you don't mind a contract, buy an Atrix or iPhone 4 and then sell it and switch to dumbphone data to use in a Desire Z. The Desire Z ends up costing around $250 - $300 after profit from the Atrix or iPhone and you quickly make up that $50 - $100 difference with the cheap data plan.
    Is it ATT 3G data or edge?

I have an iPhone 4 now that I'm contemplating selling and getting an android like the inspire or desire z.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've only seen the Nexus phones reported to trigger the higher plans(and phones that ATT sells of course). So as long as it has the ATT freq for 3g you'll be able to use the dumbphone data plan . I've used my E71 work fine with dumbphone plan.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast