Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nokia you made the right decision...

Feedback Score

Nokia you made the right decision...

first off,

a) wm7 is easy to develop for the MS developer tools are awesome. silverlight, vs2010 makes it very easy.

b) MS has nearly unlimited resources and talent to get this OS. THey have an excellent track record of successful sofwares.

c) FRANKLY, NOKIA is getting HUGE advertising $$ and Help from MSFT

d) WM7 rocks.. BEST Virtual Qwerty. Best Designs in their HUBS. The Phone is very fast and very easy to use.

Its a win situation for NOKIA no doubt. A smart decision for NOKIA .
    Motorola Bravo (current) Dec/10-current
    Samsung Focus (gifted) Nov/10-Dec/10 00:00:30 [90.02]
    Motorla Flipout (sold) Oct/10 -Nov/10 ~NA:00:00 [87.01]
    Iphone 4G (returnd) Aug/10 - Oct/10 ~NA:00:00 [90.01]
    Motorla Milestone (stolen) May/10-Aug/10 ~30:00:00 [90.01]
    BB 9700 (sold) Mar/10-May/10 ~31:00:00 [85.71]
    htc Hd2 (sold) Jan/10-Mar/10 38:00:30 [89.01]
    HTC Hero (retired) Nov/09-Jan/10 50:57:58 [88.95]
    Nokia N97 (sold) Jun/09-Nov/09 48:59:30 [81.01]

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Hi Gambino, how did you like the Focus? What did you think of WM7 besides the keyboard? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeygambino View Post
    first off,

a) wm7 is easy to develop for the MS developer tools are awesome. silverlight, vs2010 makes it very easy.

b) MS has nearly unlimited resources and talent to get this OS. THey have an excellent track record of successful sofwares.

c) FRANKLY, NOKIA is getting HUGE advertising $$ and Help from MSFT

d) WM7 rocks.. BEST Virtual Qwerty. Best Designs in their HUBS. The Phone is very fast and very easy to use.

Its a win situation for NOKIA no doubt. A smart decision for NOKIA .
    a) is it easier to develop for than the earlier versions of wm?

At this point, ease of porting from apple and android might be more important. How easy is that?

b) the earlier version of wm didn't do very well

c) details are far from clear. Have you seen details of the final terms?

d) the market appears to care a lot less about this than one might think

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I look at what SE has done w/ Android and I think that would've been a much better path for Nokia if they were going to step away from Symbian....
    in da hood we say "don't drink & drive, park & sip"

Device(s)
    Infuse
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twofaze View Post
    I look at what SE has done w/ Android and I think that would've been a much better path for Nokia if they were going to step away from Symbian....
    They missed the boat by an year atleast to get on to Andriod bandwagon. Atleast now they made a smart move with WP7 rather than sticking with Symbian which they are going no where.

Device(s)
    CDMA - Cloned
    Carrier(s)
    All
    Feedback Score
    can anyone tell me whats wrong with symbian,

Device(s)
    N80
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbiest View Post
    It's just dead.

Device(s)
    Nokia E6-00
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score

The main issue with Symbian is that the right hand of the development team at Nokia was unaware of what the left was doing which led to considerable fubar's during product development with the OS. Apple (and other in the touch-interface crowd and the like...) changed the game by offering their feature rich handset with an OS that was simply beautiful to the touch and was configured in such a way that literally a 6 year old could navigate it's menus and functions (looks great and is easy to use).

The Symbian OS has been plagued with multiple issues regarding stability due to the fact that the writers of the software never accounted for the fact that Nokia provided multiple hardware-rich platforms of their handsets which is why the OS is so buggy, which is why there are so many versions of Symbian, which is why there are so many firmware updates routinely offered to fix patches, which is why...etc, etc, etc.

People (in my immediate surroundings at least) used to believe Smartphones had a learning curve associated with them. The ability to change fonts, resizing themes, manual network switching, TRUE multitasking of PIM functions, etc. All were the hallmark of Nokia products which endusers had to adapt to a certant level of understanding (...at worst conform to the notion that a certain skill set was needed) to do such things. Now the standard has shifted due to the changing marketing trends. It was the "techy"/IS crowd that thrived with devices such as these in the past, but now manufacturers managed to find a feasible/profitable way to offer comperable functionality that the average Joe can enjoy without any technological challenges.

Nokia hasn't produced any CONSISTANT noteworthy offerings (OS wise) to stay competitive with the present climate. THAT is what's wrong with Symbian. PERSONALLY, I really have enjoyed Symbian for all it's capable of and for how its made my mobile communications life easier for me overall. I've always been a bottom-line/hardware minded individual so astetics never really was a major focal point for me. I'm in the minority which is why I continue to thrive and suffer in silence with the OS.
    "...I love it when a plan comes together...." - COL Hannibal Smith of the "A" Team

PHONE HISTORY (Retirees):

Nokia N8, N97, E61i, E65, E70, 6822, 6820, 6030, 6560
    Panasonic Allure EBX-320
    Panasonic Allure EBX-310
    Motorola StarTAC

COMPUTING INFORMATION:
    Acer Aspire E5-553G-F55F | AMD FX9800-P 3.6 Ghz Processor, Samsung 16 GB DDR4 RAM, Western Digital WD Blue 1TB (5400rpm) HHD + "OEM" 128 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R8 M4450DX 2GB Graphics Card

Feedback Score
    The other problem is the lack of app development. We seem to have moved to the era of the app and developers generally would rather develop for apple and android.

The main problems with symbian from a users perspective are interface and ease of use problems which should be easy to clean up, but Nokia never seemed to care.

Device(s)
    Samsung i8910 Omnia HD
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T;
    Feedback Score
    Well, that's sort of the rub: if the Symbian UI was so easy to fix---and I'm no software engineer, so I'll defer on that subject----then why hadn't Nokia already done so?

Maybe they either just could not do so, or, as foosion stated, they just didn't think it was worth their time and man-hours. We'll never really know, I guess.

Personally, I suspect that some internal bean counter drew up a Powerpoint presentation that showed how revenue wouldn't increase if man hours were spent working on Symbian.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/22.2.110; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

like, no...
    the open source community loves Qt....
    that has become the go to IDE for creating apps....
    developers would've gravitated to Symbian/Meego naturally...
    it's easy to port between the platforms...

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    its just too much legacy code that even nokia themselves have a hard time sorting out. even mr steve litchfield hinted last week (something to this effect), that talking with some internal contacts and enginners on the symbian teams said "really we cant fix symbian, nobody can fix symbian". i shortened that and made it my own. but nokia top level people likely knew this, talked with managers and engineers of the teams, and thought to themselves "what they hell are we doing supporting this thing!"

symbian has 6000 members working on the OS. let me repeat, 6 THOUSAND people. sure, they are huge and sell a lot of devices. but when google and apple can do a better job with android/iOS, using 100 people (exaggerating here), at what point do you just need to scrap the whole thing? nokia pays 1 billion a year just for the symbian team. that's a money pit if there ever was one.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Feedback Score
    i never was a big fan of winmo. it was buggy, unstable. i was restarting it constantly. although my old palm treo 700wx worked damn good and didnt have to reset it very much at all.

Feedback Score
    i agree with tackleberry, i had my palmtreo 750 way back 2006, until today it works just absolutely great.. although i have my Xperia from timtechs.com, i still dont think the WM isnt stable as Android is..

Device(s)
    Nokia N8 Motorola XT720
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
    symbian has 6000 members working on the OS. let me repeat, 6 THOUSAND people. sure, they are huge and sell a lot of devices. but when google and apple can do a better job with android/iOS, using 100 people (exaggerating here), at what point do you just need to scrap the whole thing? nokia pays 1 billion a year just for the symbian team. that's a money pit if there ever was one.
    That 6000 number of people being laid off with the change of strategy is not the number of people who work on the OS. Yes some of that 6000 work on the OS directly, but there are also people that develop 1st part applications, testers, designers, graphic designers, musicians, management, HR, office managers, cafeteria staff, janitors, IT guys, and countless other support jobs that you find with any business. Probably a few hundred people work directly on the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by packratdog View Post
    People (in my immediate surroundings at least) used to believe Smartphones had a learning curve associated with them. The ability to change fonts, resizing themes, manual network switching, TRUE multitasking of PIM functions, etc. All were the hallmark of Nokia products which endusers had to adapt to a certant level of understanding (...at worst conform to the notion that a certain skill set was needed) to do such things. Now the standard has shifted due to the changing marketing trends. It was the "techy"/IS crowd that thrived with devices such as these in the past, but now manufacturers managed to find a feasible/profitable way to offer comperable functionality that the average Joe can enjoy without any technological challenges.
    I think that your a little harsh on the ease of use of Symbian phones, or the technological challenges, my sister in law owns an older N73, never asked me how to do this or that (with the exception of PC Suite), but she utilizes it as well as anyone else, but when it comes to PC's, to give you an example, I spent 2 hours on the phone with her just the other day, to walk her through the installation and set up of new software that she bought, that most could do on their own in 15 minutes.

Also, my wife inherited my E66 and is using it fine, and she's also using my N8 when were at home on in the car, taking pictures, videos, internet radio, using the FM transmitter, playing games, Ovi Maps, and countless other things, the only thing that I had to show her was where the shutter button was.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast