Thread: Buying a used T-Mobile phone and ETF not paid yet?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Buying a used T-Mobile phone and ETF not paid yet?

If the ETF on a canceled contract isnt paid, will Tmobile lock down a phone?

Looking to pick up a Galaxy S locally and dont want to get taken if the phone may not work because of this.

Under what circumstances will t-mobile lock the phone so it cant be used?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No

T-Mobile does not blacklist IMEI. ETF is owned by previous owner.
    Phone History: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | HTC Sensation 4G | Google Nexus One | HTC HD2 | Nokia 5230 Nuron | Nokia N900 | BB Curve 8900 | iPhone 3G | Google Ion | Nokia 5800XM | Nokia E71-2 | T-Mobile G1 | iPhone 2G

My Feedbacks: eBay | Heatware | HoFo

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    As long as you don't try to use the previous owner's SIM card (which contains his account), the phone is up for grabs; no restrictions. You'll have to obtain another one, of course.

Feedback Score
    i dont think they can lock down a GSM device the way they can restrict a CDMA device. verizon used to do this, but not anymore. once the account is considered cancelled fully its clear (at least in december 2010 it was).

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    They can block the device by IMEI if they choose to. I believe they do that with phones that have been stolen from their stores.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kflan View Post
    They can block the device by IMEI if they choose to. I believe they do that with phones that have been stolen from their stores.
    And phones that have an EIP balance
    Bye!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    And phones that have an EIP balance
    I know that there was a rumor that they were going to start doing that. I don't think I've seen any reports of actual device that has been blocked by T-Mobile for an outstanding EIP balance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I know that there was a rumor that they were going to start doing that. I don't think I've seen any reports of actual device that has been blocked by T-Mobile for an outstanding EIP balance.
    Don't fret, there has been.

Feedback Score
    Don't fret, there has been.
    If you're going to make statements that T-Mobile is actively blocking devices with outstanding EIP balances then post your source(s).

This was discussed in this thread here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...g-soon-to-come!

However, there was never a post, stating T-Mobile actually did it as you are now claiming.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    If you're going to make statements that T-Mobile is actively blocking devices with outstanding EIP balances then post your source(s).

This was discussed in this thread here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...g-soon-to-come!

However, there was never a post, stating T-Mobile actually did it as you are now claiming.
    I've come in contact with one person admitting they haven't paid their T-Mobile bill(confirmed that they bought it on an EIP), switched their phone onto Simple Mobile only to have it blocked off the network. Their sim card became inactive. This one was on XDA. There was another report of someone's sim card becoming inactive repeatedly after getting replacements from Simple Mobile and I'm pretty sure this one was on here. It's no coincidence and it's completely plausible especially with their recent moves to deter fraud as much as possible.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kflan View Post
    how could ppl know the phones were stolen from store if they buy from eBay or Cl ? when buyer put a SIM , it is still working, but couple months later, it stops working... it is big hassle!
    I recall there were a massive sidekick phones were stolen from their warehouse many years ago.
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone View Post
    how could ppl know the phones were stolen from store if they buy from eBay or Cl ? when buyer put a SIM , it is still working, but couple months later, it stops working... it is big hassle!
    I recall there were a massive sidekick phones were stolen from their warehouse many years ago.
    That's the risk you take buying from ebay or CL.

Feedback Score
    There was another report of someone's sim card becoming inactive repeatedly after getting replacements from Simple Mobile
    Making a SIM card inactive is not blocking a device by the IMEI which is what would be done if T-Mobile were blocking devices for outstanding EIP balances.

I don't know why T-Mobile would deny service by deactivating someone's SIM because they brought an unlocked device from somewhere else (in this case Simple Mobile.) According to their website, Simple Mobile doesn't sell devices directly, they send you to other e-tailers.

Regardless, SIM's going inactive is not IMEI blocking.