Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So...after this morning, can we expect symbian devices to plumet in price?

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by inept View Post
    Just for the sake of argument, throw out an example. The N8's imaging capabilities are as big an attractor now as they were yesterday. As for devices like the C7, C6-01 and E7...
    They were never appealing to begin with, unless you wanted a phone with good reception and a good keyboard for messaging.

Just sitting there selling 28.5M units last quarter. How can you not understand that those are sales that would have otherwise gone to other platforms if Symbian truly wasn't competition? Now that it's infinitely less competitive than it was yesterday because its future is sealed, lots of sales will indeed go to other platforms.
    Those sales wouldn't have gone to other competitors because that's over 20 million sales to people who weren't interested in a smartphone.

The first and second sentences in this comment doesn't make any sense. As for the third, are you being purposely dense? They grew the most they ever could (I assume you mean on a percentage basis because they could ostensibly grow more on a unit basis in the future) because they came from nothing.
    They grew the most they could despite Symbian being present. Symbian is a non-issue for Android. It's zero competition. Symbian offers as much competition to Android as the LG Flick or Samsung Gravity Touch.

If Symbian wasn't competing, Android would have grown even faster. Now that it's effectively not competing anymore, Android is IMO most likely to absorb would-have-been Symbian customers.
    Nah, they'll just as likely go for Nokia S40 devices.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9780
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    What do you think will happen to E7? It has just been released!!!

Tintin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR View Post
    so by price point you mean nokia can only sell cheap symbian smartphones.

Here in Europe Nokia's marketing is much more aggressive than apple and android yet they still can't seem to compete.
    not exactly, by pricepoint i mean subsidized by a carrier. remember, most people dont want to pay 500 bucks for a phone when they get the hype for less than that, in a local store, and they can actually play with the phones. nokia, has a limited number of stores in the USA if any, sells them unsubsidized except for a few models....where would most people go? not to say motorola has a stores or htc, etc but go to your local tmo store, you will see one phone on display, the E73.

nokia could have done just fine with symbian if it was actually PROMOTED better and they made more fart apps like android and iOS, and made the interface a little more attractive and flashy looking. sadly, people are attracted to flashy overhyped crap, see iphone for example.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, migo. I don't know how to respond to your post because it simply doesn't make sense.

Carrier(s)
    Swisscom, Vodafone,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tackleberry23 View Post
    not exactly, by pricepoint i mean subsidized by a carrier. remember, most people dont want to pay 500 bucks for a phone when they get the hype for less than that, in a local store, and they can actually play with the phones. nokia, has a limited number of stores in the USA if any, sells them unsubsidized except for a few models....where would most people go? not to say motorola has a stores or htc, etc but go to your local tmo store, you will see one phone on display, the E73.

nokia could have done just fine with symbian if it was actually PROMOTED better and they made more fart apps like android and iOS, and made the interface a little more attractive and flashy looking. sadly, people are attracted to flashy overhyped crap, see iphone for example.
    Nokia is subsidised in europe on all carriers, they just can compete with apple, android, or blackberry.
    In finland, nokia's home turf, the iphone has over 20% marketshare (as of june 2010).
    So apperantly even the finnish like fart apps and flashy looking interface

Carrier(s)
    Swisscom, Vodafone,
    Feedback Score

Nokia is subsidised in europe on all carriers, they just can compete with apple, android, or blackberry.
    In finland, nokia's home turf, the iphone has over 20% marketshare (as of june 2010).
    So apparently even the finnish like fart apps and flashy looking interface

Feedback Score
    Sadly Nokia has jumped ship and gone to the dark side. I like my E71, it took a few weeks to grow on me and I still dont know how to use all of it. But them going to Windows7 on their phones takes me out of their market. Had they gone Android it would be another story. But after reading that their new CEO or whatever is a previous Microsoft person I knew Nokia was lost to the darkside.

I wish them luck, but they will never see a penny of my money spent on any of their products running Windows.

Feedback Score
    i just played with a n8, and its not impressive on the same front as say an android, but i seems fine overall.

iphone just has a sheep following, because its apple, it must be cool. iphone is purely a fanboy market. nokia just has no major focus on the USA. they lost a lot of money here because of it. its almost like they abandoned the US marketplace.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1911 View Post
    their new CEO or whatever is a previous Microsoft person
    makes me wonder, is MS looking to devalue nokia to the point where they can buy it for the name, then put MS on everything nokia? i wonder if they are paying this tool of a CEO under the table?

Carrier(s)
    Swisscom, Vodafone,
    Feedback Score
    makes me wonder, is MS looking to devalue nokia to the point where they can buy it for the name, then put MS on everything nokia? i wonder if they are paying this tool of a CEO under the table?
    nokia's stock has been devaluing just fine without microsoft's help.
    microsoft bought danger and the kin was an absolute failure.

Device(s)
    Nothing but Nokias
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintin123 View Post
    What do you think will happen to E7? It has just been released!!!

Tintin
    U read my mind my friend.

Sadly, the device we were both anxiously expecting is being released to a very unfavorable atmosphere for simbian 3.

That is part of the reason why I started this question. Regardless of all announced, I'm sticking with my purchase of the e7...it just fits MY needs. I was wondering if we should expect a price change from Nokia after the announcements this morning.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8 Orange
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
    U read my mind my friend.

Sadly, the device we were both anxiously expecting is being released to a very unfavorable atmosphere for simbian 3.

That is part of the reason why I started this question. Regardless of all announced, I'm sticking with my purchase of the e7...it just fits MY needs. I was wondering if we should expect a price change from Nokia after the announcements this morning.
    I'd advise you to reconsider. At least wait until PR2.0 and maybe you'll have a decent browser. Or maybe when Opera releases their new version (it may be at MWC) that has Pinch/Zoom/Multi-touch support and can properly become the default browser.

Take it from someone with an N8.

The built-in e-mail client is also pretty atrocious, I guess if you don't have a lot of labels/folders its not a big deal.

I get by with Profimail, but its a pretty ancient looking UI.

I was betting on Qt 4.7/QML but looks like I lost out big. Like I said, wait and see. There's no way the E7 will be sold out, especially after this morning's news.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR View Post
    nokia's stock has been devaluing just fine without microsoft's help.
    microsoft bought danger and the kin was an absolute failure.
    that kin was out for what 2 months at most? lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2