Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Nokia and Microsoft enter strategic alliance on Windows Phone, Bing, XBL & Office

Carrier(s)
    Swisscom, Vodafone,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by foosion View Post
    I wonder what the lead time is for making an android or WP7 phone - how long from concept to market?
    best case scenario 6-8 months
    Nokia scenario- 9-13 months

which begs the question when did microkia begin?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDee View Post
    Why is it people forget that Microsoft is one of the most successful companies in the history of man in it's relatively short existence.
    Probably because its success is due to two products, Windows and Office, that they've failed at just about everything else and the suspicion that it is the lock-in of monopoly power that keeps them where they are.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDee View Post
    Why is it people forget that Microsoft is one of the most successful companies in the history of man in it's relatively short existence.

Just give it a chance.

Sent from my Unknown iPhone using HowardForums
    Seriously, they are one of the richest companies due to a couple of things, they tricked IMB with OS2, then they copied Lotus 123 and Wordperfect and added a few programs to create MS office. Since then they have had a monopoly on PCs. Name one thing they have done in the last 15 years except for maybe XBox (although I don't know if the xbox is profitable yet) that have been let's say outstanding? Without their monopoly they would have been gone by now.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twofaze View Post
    actually, they were a leader...
    they're still leading now...
    Symbian is still leading as of now...
    No it's not, people just still have some old Symbian phones kicking around.

you don't just blow up the house when you were supposed to remodel the kitchen....
    He wasn't supposed to just remodel the kitchen. If they wanted the kitchen remodeled they would have picked AV as CEO.

no other mobile OS has the functionality Symbian did...
    Including Symbian nowadays. The more important thing is no other mobile OS sucked as badly as Symbian does. Hell, at least with WinMo you could rely on folks at XDA to fix it.

just polish up the UI, beef up the RAM issues, speed up the update process....
    hahahaha! you make it sound so easy. if that were the solution they'd have done it a long time ago.

that's all this dude had to do to continue the lead...
    There's no continuation. Apple leads - they lead in profits and in setting the direction the industry moves in. Android's going to eat up Symbian in sales in no time flat - it was just a couple S^2 phones released by Sharp and Panasonic in Japan that kept Symbian "technically" in the lead for shipments this time around.

this would still look like an ok future it Nokia just become OS agnostic and was neutral about it's supported platform...
    They might still be, but it makes no sense to pick two new platform directions at the same time.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Probably because its success is due to two products, Windows and Office, that they've failed at just about everything else and the suspicion that it is the lock-in of monopoly power that keeps them where they are.
    actually they built a great server business that is kicking Linux hind quarters. they also now have a viable xbox business. one thing about microsoft. they Never give up on their BIG ideas. they will ditch little ones. but phone OS is huge to them because it's stealing customers from their core business. I don't understand how people can under estimate the resources (r and d, marketing, distribution power) they can bring to bear on something important to them.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    They succeeded in wiping out pretty much every other OS as a viable competitor with Windows 95, and the interface paradigm has stayed since then.

They succeeded in wiping out pretty much every other browser with IE4 - and that's because it was just plain better in every aspect than Netscape.

They succeeded in wiping out pretty much every other office suite with Excel and Word, and ensured their dominance with a complete UI overhaul for Office 2007, proving that they're not just coasting on an established monopoly.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terre08 View Post
    Seriously, they are one of the richest companies due to a couple of things, they tricked IMB with OS2, then they copied Lotus 123 and Wordperfect and added a few programs to create MS office. Since then they have had a monopoly on PCs. Name one thing they have done in the last 15 years except for maybe XBox (although I don't know if the xbox is profitable yet) that have been let's say outstanding? Without their monopoly they would have been gone by now.
    They didn't trick anyone. Windows 95 just had a much better interface and design. It was simply the preferable OS to go through. They didn't just copy Lotus 123, they decided not to be ***** about how many times you could install. Lotus 123 had some nasty DRM back in the days of floppy disks, and Microsoft appeased consumers by just being reasonable about installing their software.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
    Btw, Elop has no stock or stock options on Nokia. Instead, he still owned at least in August 261,000 MS stock.

I am starting to hear some more details of the Meego UI Nokia was working on. Sounds quite nice/interesting/innovative. But I guess its all too late now, "Meego related product" does not exactly sound like a phone. Unless it code for Harmattan. More likely a toaster oven or the most intuitive vibrator ever or something really disruptive and forward looking like that.
    actually he does. but the documents that reveal the terms of his compensation have not been disclosed yet. No person at that level would take the job of nokia CEO without equity compensation included. it's standard operating procedure this day and age. However, if you go to the Nokia site, there is a press release detailing the Nokia stock compensation plan for "key employees" for 2011.

Feedback Score
    Didn't Lotus 123 and Wordperfect stay in DOS land? If I remember correctly, they didn't make the transition to graphical UIs too well. The slash key still goes into 123 mode as I recently found out ...

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If Nokia is moving into the 4 inch slab amoled screen race, I wonder how they will be able to source their components and CPUs.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think I'll buy the Nokia c7 just for nostalgia especially if another is can be loaded onto it.

Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wordperfect dominated the windows world for a few years until Microsoft was born - renamed from Micro Soft. Recall that they didn't have anything powerful enough the first few years.

Feedback Score
    the more and more i read, the more and more i start thinking about not getting an N8 or E7...especially if updates may never really happen.

then again, i usually dont keep phones for more than 6 months before i get bored with them....

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    They didn't trick anyone. Windows 95 just had a much better interface and design. It was simply the preferable OS to go through. They didn't just copy Lotus 123, they decided not to be ***** about how many times you could install. Lotus 123 had some nasty DRM back in the days of floppy disks, and Microsoft appeased consumers by just being reasonable about installing their software.
    They already had a monopoly when 95 came out. I am talking about earlier.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
    If Nokia is moving into the 4 inch slab amoled screen race, I wonder how they will be able to source their components and CPUs.
    Their CBDs seem to be even better than AMOLED. I'm pretty sure MS will support them for CPU components.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast