Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Nokia and Microsoft enter strategic alliance on Windows Phone, Bing, XBL & Office

Device(s)
    Nokia N8 Orange
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twofaze View Post
    Qt isn't just important to Meego/Maemo and Symbian...
    it's important to the whole Linux culture..
    many apps that are written for the distros are developed in Qt....
    Elop may have just screwed over the entire open source community...
    If Elop cared about Symbian and Meego or insuring Nokia's future he would have required Qt on WP7. He did not, we got screwed and we get no future options.

Tell everyone you know, tweet it, Facebook it, blog it, don't buy any Nokia device, return the ones you have, because any hope of future was just flushed down the toilet. Nokia can't spin this any other way. I suspect after next week begin the major reduction in force. They probably won't do it in the middle of MWC.

At least with Qt we had the hope of third-party apps. What decent dev/company would code in Qt (for Mobile devices) when it is abundantly clear that the only major Mobile Company has just shafted them. I'd be brushing up on my VB/.NET/Silverlight if I were them... though they won't really need it until next year.

Qt can still fork so Linux and Desktop apps built in Qt will be find, but Qt Mobility/QML is screwed.

Truly a sad day. Its even harder when you see the unrealized potential. But Nokia has no one else to blame but themselves.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    To make QT work on Windows Phone 7, sounds like major work.

QT is generally programmed in C++ and apps are native.

Windows Phone 7 is generally programmed with C# or .NET. Apps are run inside a virtual machine.

To be honest, WP7 is lacking in so many things, they have to do all those things before before putting QT frameworks on WP7 and creating C# bindings for QT.

Possible but major projects that isn't implementable in the short run.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    WP7 may be incomplete but it is miles ahead of Symbian. Time to retrieve data. That's what's important. Almost nobody cares about any technical software/development details at all. It will get fleshed out just fine, just give it time.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8 Orange
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Possible but major projects that isn't implementable in the short run.
    What short run? I didn't see the part where we're going to get WP7 anytime soon. Maybe plain vanilla WP7 on a half-***** device before the end of the year after Q1 and Q2 show major losses.

And didn't Qt already run on CE?

This is just proof positive that this was a one-way street. MS got all the benefits. They won't do any real heavy lifting, they're building this long shot on the backs of the current Nokia device owners.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1329 View Post
    WP7 may be incomplete but it is miles ahead of Symbian. Time to retrieve data. That's what's important. Almost nobody cares about any technical software/development details at all. It will get fleshed out just fine, just give it time.
    The thing is Nokia doesn't have time and it's not clear they will have anything meaningful at the end of yet another "transition period" with WP7.

IMO the correct strategy was to phase out Symbian, concentrate on Meego and pump out Android handsets in the meantime. Instead they have decided to dump Meeog/Qt altogether and put all their eggs in the WP7 basket which doesn't make much sense. WP7 is quite far behind Android as an OS and platform and Nokia's phones are still going to be behind their competition from HTC,Motorola and Samsung.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There is still lots of time for things to take a different turn. Who knows if significant negative reaction gets very bad over the coming months, public opinion gets extremely negative in the majority, Nokia could adjust and say they'll continue Meego long term or something.

Plenty of months this year of new symbian phones. If they sell blockbuster you never know. Very least they could keep it mid range and finish fixing it up.

I'm likely talking out my arse.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    What happened to Windows Mobile 6.5 after Windows Phone 7 was announced was that it took a dive.
    I mean like a fast, never expected to fall this fast, dive. Manufacturers simply stopped making the phones, devs stopped working on apps, even withdraw apps on the Marketplace (which never went over 1000 btw) and carriers stopped ordering them either. Carriers do not want to be stuck with inventory they know won't be supported.

The marketshare for Windows Mobile was over 10%, like 11 or 12% in the end of 2009. At the end of 2010, it was scrapping by 3%. Windows Phone 7 added only another 2% despite the 500 million spent to market it. That is how far the gravity of the collapse went.

I can't see based on historical data, otherwise. Prepare for the worst.

The stock for Nokia has already fallen 14% this morning. Its less than 10 US dollars now.

A strike has broken out in one of Nokia's Finnish plants.

And Google, taking the opportunity, is open for hiring developers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    What happened to Windows Mobile 6.5 after Windows Phone 7 was announced was that it took a dive.
    I mean like a fast, never expected to fall this fast, dive. Manufacturers simply stopped making the phones, devs stopped working on apps, even withdraw apps on the Marketplace (which never went over 1000 btw) and carriers stopped ordering them either. Carriers do not want to be stuck with inventory they know won't be supported.

The marketshare for Windows Mobile was over 10%, like 11 or 12% in the end of 2009. At the end of 2010, it was scrapping by 3%. Windows Phone 7 added only another 2% despite the 500 million spent to market it. That is how far the gravity of the collapse went.

The stock for Nokia has already fallen 14% this morning.

A strike has broken out in one of Nokia's Finnish plants.

I can't see based on historical data, otherwise. Prepare for the worst.

And Google, taking the opportunity, is open for hiring developers.
    sounds like this CEO is being paid under the table by MS still, and taking nokia down so low MS can buy it, and use the nokia name and have a specialized exclusive line of devices using the reliable nokia name to promote winmo.

sounds like when chevy put a bowtie on a daewoo car....its still a daewoo inside.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Unemployment and poverty are very very sensitive issues on a country with a cold climate. Especially if you're putting thousands of Finns out of work. Personally, if I was the Finnish government I would make an investigation.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twofaze View Post
    Qt isn't just important to Meego/Maemo and Symbian...
    it's important to the whole Linux culture..
    many apps that are written for the distros are developed in Qt....
    Elop may have just screwed over the entire open source community...
    why because he actually decided to try and make money? let the open sourcers worry about whether IOS is true multi-tasking or not and let elop worry about profits. nokia exists for it's shareholder that own it.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 02-12-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
    There is still lots of time for things to take a different turn. Who knows if significant negative reaction gets very bad over the coming months, public opinion gets extremely negative in the majority, Nokia could adjust and say they'll continue Meego long term or something.
    Yeah the reaction has been very bad and it's not inconceivable it could force a change in strategy or even leadership. Nokia employees and loyalists are obviously aghast but the stock markets, at whom this was targetted, are very disappointed as well. The overall media and expert reaction appears to be quite negative with the consensus appearing to be that this deal doesn't do much for Nokia. It's really not clear who is happy about this other than Microsoft.

The more I think about it the more I think this is a terrible decision. Nokia certainly needed a change of strategy but this will make things worse. It's a classic case of jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

To repeat I think Nokia's strategy should have three elements:
    a) Phasing out Symbian including S3/S4
    b)Focusing on Meego and Qt
    c) Pumping out Android handsets in the interim while Meego matures

If Meego can't make it after a year or two, Nokia should become a platform-agnostic handset maker making Android, WP7 and whatever else is available.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    At this point being a platform-agnostic handset maker would be the best option for Nokia....
    in da hood we say "don't drink & drive, park & sip"

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mawerick View Post
    With this move Nokia has lost its identity. It is no longer a leader, but a follower. A company that, for the foreseeable future, will have the success of its smartphone division fully hedged against the success of Microsoft.
    It hasn't been a leader since the N95.... going to Microsoft hasn't changed anything. Nokia fanboys are just all in denial and trying to place the blame elsewhere.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    It hasn't been a leader since the N95.... going to Microsoft hasn't changed anything. Nokia fanboys are just all in denial and trying to place the blame elsewhere.
    actually, they were a leader...
    they're still leading now...
    Symbian is still leading as of now...
    you don't just blow up the house when you were supposed to remodel the kitchen....
    no other mobile OS has the functionality Symbian did...
    just polish up the UI, beef up the RAM issues, speed up the update process....
    that's all this dude had to do to continue the lead...
    this would still look like an ok future it Nokia just become OS agnostic and was neutral about it's supported platform...

Feedback Score
    FT had a nice summary:

Some analysts questioned what was to be gained from a partnership between two somewhat jaded brands that have been put in the shade by Apple and Google.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast