Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Nokia and Microsoft enter strategic alliance on Windows Phone, Bing, XBL & Office

Carrier(s)
    Lord Rogers
    Feedback Score

Nokia and Microsoft enter strategic alliance on Windows Phone, Bing, XBL & Office

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/n...ndows-phone-b/

What are your thoughts!?

I'm REALLY looking forward to this!
    Howard Forums Feedback
    Redflagdeals Feedback

BB - 9900, 9700(x3), Bold(x5), 8820(x2), 8800, 8100, 8320(x2)
    HTC - Diamond 2, Diamond, Polaris, Artemis, Desire, Desire Z
    Nokia - E72-2, N97(x2), E75(x2), Sapphire Arte, 5800 XM, E90, N95-4,E71-2(x4),E65,N82,8600,3120
    Sony - W810i
    Samsung - D807
    Apple - iPhone 3G 8GB(x2), 16GB(x3), iPhone 3GS(x5), iPhone 4 16GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 4S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 6 128GB

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    @#$% THIS !)%$.....!!!!

I'm out...!!!

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...mer-microsoft/

in da hood we say "don't drink & drive, park & sip"

Feedback Score
    i came back to hofo specifically to read some intelligent discussion on this. IM IN!

as a vintage nokia user...i love their hardware. its just their lack of innovation with symbian. yes s60v3 was AWESOME for its time..today its just no match for android or (cough) iOS. ive thought long and hard about moving to WP7 as the software is actually pretty amazing. everything was quick and the on screen keyboard was honestly the best i have ever used. WP7 just seems to lack maturity. there are hardly any worthwhile applications, and everything seems just so..early.

combined with nokia's usually spectacular hardware specs, and ovi maps...this could be a real hit. id love to carry a nokia again

Carrier(s)
    Lord Rogers
    Feedback Score
    To be honest I've played with WP7, and yes it's EXTREMELY crippled at this point in time - I'm sure the scheduled update will bring it up to par, and combine that with Nokia's hardware I'm game! Maybe this is what will finally bring me back to Nokia!

OMG. So.excited!

Feedback Score
    It's not a bleak future. MeeGo will still have a device out this year and maybe Nokia maps will have a usable POI search especially in the USA.

Anyone hoping MeeGo would be the savior of Nokia this year was betting on vaporware. I think this was necessary, and anyone claiming "Nokia is dead" or "never buying another Nokia" without seeing the first set of devices is straight up retarded.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    symbian is a dead end. meego is going to be a lab project.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 & Nokia Lumia 1020
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    Personally I think WP7 is a step backwards for Nokia. My only hope is that they do not slow down MeeGo progress because of this decision to make WP7 their primary smartphone OS. So instead of fixing your own stuff that you know WORKS Nokia jumps on an OS that was force released not even close to being ready...

http://conversations.nokia.com/image...-11-SLE-14.jpg <- the ultimate trollface

EDIT: Hmm stock already -11% http://www.nasdaqomxnordic.com/share...ument=HEX24311
    iPhone 6 @ cricket (Bay Area, California)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glavata View Post
    Personally I think WP7 is a step backwards for Nokia. My only hope is that they do not slow down MeeGo progress because of this decision to make WP7 their primary smartphone OS. So instead of fixing your own stuff that you know WORKS Nokia jumps on an OS that was force released not even close to being ready...

http://conversations.nokia.com/image...-11-SLE-14.jpg <- the ultimate trollface
    Nokia has been bleeding money and jumping around for 5 years, what makes you think they would have been able to turn it around this year?

I'm just curious as to where Qt will land in all this, as well as how Nokia will be treated compared to the other crop of WP7 manufacturers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by liknsmak View Post
    Nokia has been bleeding money and jumping around for 5 years, what makes you think they would have been able to turn it around this year?

I'm just curious as to where Qt will land in all this, as well as how Nokia will be treated compared to the other crop of WP7 manufacturers.
    http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/no...rs?sf1066337=1

Feedback Score
    And now the not as good news. 2011 and 2012 are going to be transition years, but I feel like the past few years have always been known as "transition years."

I guess symbian and MeeGo development were really a mess if they're going with WP7 instead of getting the products out over the same period.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    Instead of relying on yourself, now you begin to rely on M$ for the OS... 2011 and 2012 could easily have been "transition years" to fix Symbian and come out strong with MeeGo. I see Nokia bleeding even more money from this point on, I just don't get the logic behind this decision. Could be just me, the big Nokia fan, that thought the N8 was the 1st step back to the big game.

Feedback Score
    Lol, 2009 and 2010 were already "transition years" though. There's something seriously wrong if a company that big cannot fix and deploy their own platforms in that time, and it probably isn't just the management/workforce.

Don't get me wrong, I'm slightly disappointed by this news as I'd like to see what MeeGo was turning out to be, but hopefully this has a happy ending.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    The MeeGo project is relatively new to Nokia though...?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glavata View Post
    The MeeGo project is relatively new to Nokia though...?
    Referring to the symbian foundation and Maemo 6, the original gameplan to compete with iOS and Android.

Feedback Score
    Can't wait to read the positive take on this by the people at AAS

edit:hahaha
    RobN 1 hour ago
    Nokia just confirmed Windows Phone as "Primary" platform, I am sucked but is it time for all aboutwindowsphone.

stevelitchfield [Moderator] 1 hour ago in reply to RobN
    Rafe has had that domain for a year. But it shouldn't stop AAS serving Symbian and Nokia users as before.... More later.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast