Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrendous iPhone experience?

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I like satellite because I can get service pretty much everywhere I go up here, all except for some cutting in and out in some deep canyons and tall Redwoods (they tower to 375 feet). I get into areas here where there is little to no FM reception too, so satellite radio is a godsend.

Device(s)
    Now: (2) Droid2G, Samsung Zeal|Past: Motorola VU30, e815, v276pp, v265, 120c, MicroTAC; Samsung
    Carrier(s)
    Airtouch ;)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    You're right; the canned channels are abysmal but I like local radio when traveling. What was called moodio.fm is a good resource for getting that everywhere. That's the only way I can get KDSK, Grant, NM on the road. Does Sirius have that?
    SiriusXM is a subscription service where you pay a monthly fee for a given channel package, like the cable or satellite TV model. You can add internet streaming for an additional ~$3 per month and listen on your PC, smartphone, etc. AFAIK, they do not have local radio on their service. Check it out if you wish.
    Tom

"Fundamentally, there are only two ways of coordinating the economic activities of millions. One is central direction involving the use of coercion - the technique of the army and of the modern totalitarian state. The other is voluntary cooperation of individuals - the technique of the marketplace."
    -- Milton Friedman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Slacker has offline caching and I used it on a trip where Verizon had no data service for most of the trip and the EDGE signal wasn't consistent enough for continuous playback. MOG has offline play, etc..
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    Slacker has offline caching and I used it on a trip where Verizon had no data service for most of the trip and the EDGE signal wasn't consistent enough for continuous playback. MOG has offline play, etc..
    I regularly go through areas up here where nobody has cell service I love the 80s, Old Time Radio and First Wave (80s New Wave) on XM, well, actually it's SiriusXM now, they merged.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    SiriusXM is a subscription service where you pay a monthly fee for a given channel package, like the cable or satellite TV model. You can add internet streaming for an additional ~$3 per month and listen on your PC, smartphone, etc. AFAIK, they do not have local radio on their service. Check it out if you wish.
    Thanks, I was familiar with most of that except the extra streaming; that is a nice feature--is that using more of a limited resource, lol? With that streaming, only the delivery changes, not the programming, right? Iheart has many local stations but only the big ones--it's probably essentially a feeder for the same company. Moodio.fm was definitely the best app for local radio--great for when you want to keep up with your hometown. And it's cross-platform. Blackberry at least; iphone I don't know.

Feedback Score
    Apparently you've never been in an area with no am/fm reception, or you already know all the channels, or you carry a fortune in cds with you and you don't like the variety of Pandora, etc, or you enjoy the time and effort and limited variety of stocking your phone with mp3s and 128 kbs is not good enough, or you don't like to carry a car charger, or you prefer talk/text/email/maps while driving.

If you travel a lot, you'd see it differently.
    maybe, but thats what a CD player in your car is for, that plays mp3 cd's, or even better if it has a usb input maybe a portable hard drive. hell my mt4g plugs into it and it works instantly.

what what limited variety of music stocking my phone are you talking about? its not hard to drag and drop an mp3 onto a memory card. does apple still require you to use itunes to put music on your phone?
    car chargers stay in cars...no need to really carry it.

just sayin, 5gb a month on your phone on a regular basis is the exact reason why verizon is throttling people down, and clogging up the network for the user that actually needs it on demand sometimes. while verizon should be able to handle it they also have a certain limit when they have what 90 million people using the network now?

Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    I agree! With Sirius XM in the car and the iPhone loaded full with music, why bother with unicast media streaming over the cellular data network? Makes no sense. Total waste of bandwidth and network resources.
    yep. what is streaming audio sent at...64kbs? or less? it sounds awful. i rather spend 20 minutes dragging and dropping music onto my memory card once and use a good nice pair of noise cancelling BT stereo headphones.

besides, the poster that mentioned travelling...you cant stream pandora when on an airplane....but you can stream audio from the phone to your A2DP headset
    most rental cars are new enough where they have audio inputs...headphone jack to headphone jack. plug it up and have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    FM used to be great, then Clear Channel took over and it died
    FM radio does stink. 10 stations have commercials on at the exact same times lol

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    I don't have it; I guess everyone should go and get it. Is Sirius free? Do you have to pay for another device? And how is Sirius not wastefully streamed to your device? Is satellite an unlimited resource a la the previous discussions? Is Sirius going to stay in business?
    It's broadcast and runs on a fixed allotment of bandwidth. Same idea as cable TV, or - gasp - the old terrestrial television. No matter how many people tune in, it doesn't tax the system any more than before.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    My biggest problem with Sirius XM is you can not chose the programming to listen to. I can chose what I want to listen to on my cell phone. I wish satelite radio had a way that you could pick what you want to listen to instead of Sirius XM chosing what they want you to listen to.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tim33 View Post
    My biggest problem with Sirius XM is you can not chose the programming to listen to. I can chose what I want to listen to on my cell phone. I wish satelite radio had a way that you could pick what you want to listen to instead of Sirius XM chosing what they want you to listen to.
    XM went to crap once they bought out Sirius, i cancelled them right after they merged in the Sirius stations overtop the XM stations, i cant ever find anything on there to listen too (and not to mention, my Pioneer Inno does not like the train ride between classes either), although it's been over a year and my Inno still works when i try the XM side (they never actually cancelled the service for some reason, although i've never gotten another bill)

SiriusXM is getting just as bad as FM Radio IMO, thus the reason why i use Slacker and Pandora on my phone.. the 3.99/mo i pay slacker and $40/yr i pay Pandora is a ton cheaper than i'd spend on iTunes/Amazon in a month on legit music downloads (gasp, legal downloads!)

Hell, i had to even force my Sprint phone to Verizon on the train (or just use my T-Mobile SIM in in my Tour) to get reliable streaming, as Sprint cant seem to handle data at all during the day here, VZ does ok enough for Radio streaming, as does T-Mobile
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    XM went to crap once they bought out Sirius, i cancelled them right after they merged in the Sirius stations overtop the XM stations, i cant ever find anything on there to listen too (and not to mention, my Pioneer Inno does not like the train ride between classes either), although it's been over a year and my Inno still works when i try the XM side (they never actually cancelled the service for some reason, although i've never gotten another bill)

SiriusXM is getting just as bad as FM Radio IMO, thus the reason why i use Slacker and Pandora on my phone.. the 3.99/mo i pay slacker and $40/yr i pay Pandora is a ton cheaper than i'd spend on iTunes/Amazon in a month on legit music downloads (gasp, legal downloads!)

Hell, i had to even force my Sprint phone to Verizon on the train (or just use my T-Mobile SIM in in my Tour) to get reliable streaming, as Sprint cant seem to handle data at all during the day here, VZ does ok enough for Radio streaming, as does T-Mobile
    I still love XM myself, my favorite stations are the 80s, First Wave and Old Time Radio, and it does work pretty much everywhere I go, something I can't say of data or cell service. The only places I have trouble are in deep canyons or in the Redwoods (which go up to 380 feet in height), where it will cut out. When you work in areas that I do, satellite radio is AWESOME!

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I don't understand this argument. You want to drag around CDs, load MP3s, listen to FM or XM, therefore you can't understand why somebody else would want to listen to Slacker or Pandora on their phone instead? Fine then, don't understand, but it's a valid use of the phone even if you don't plan to use it for that. And, no, Slacker is not some horrible sub-64kbps stream. I do admit unicast is inefficient, it's a true tragedy that multicast IP never took off properly.

most rental cars are new enough where they have audio inputs...headphone jack to headphone jack. plug it up and have a nice day!
    My car's too old for that, but it does have the CD player/tape deck. Hopefully someone still makes those headphone jack tape adapters, or I can find my old one. My stereo speakers do sound better than the one on the phone

Anyway... so far so good, the predictions of IPhones exploding Verizon's network have not come to pass

Feedback Score
    I stream Pandora in my G37 and over Ford Sync Bluetooth in my 2010 Ford Fusion for free. XM and FM's quality seem's lower to me honestly. And when you can travel almost anywhere in the state and have Verizon 3G, it just makes sense.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256GB Black/Verizon, iPhone 7 256GB Black/AT&T, iPhone 6s 128GB/T-Mobile
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel was a thriving culture within a company and Sprint SINGLE HANDILY DESTROYED IT.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    Well they are a southern company
    so I would expect good service in their backyard.
    Actually, the irony in that statement is that Verizon Wireless is based in Basking Ridge, New Jersey and AT&Terrible Mobility is based in Atlanta, GA (landline based in Texas).

Also, to the OP, GOOD ONE! I looked at the thread and thought to myself "O Jesus Christ, here we go again with some ******* AT&T fanboy *****ing and moaning for no legitimate reason whatsoever." LOL

Kudos on the great SERVICE once again! Again, what you have now is called a "phone & SERVICE" package versus what you used to have with AT&T which was the "phone & paperweight (network)" package. :lol
    I am looking to take over a former *Centennial Wireless* Account that was converted to *VERIZON*. Preferably one with a data card, but I won't discriminate if it's a voice plan with a dumbphone/smartphone/whatever. If it's a former Centennial Account and is now a VERIZON account, but still has the Centennial Plan on it, then I AM INTERESTED!

FINALLY reached my 6,000th post on Monday February 28th, 2011 at 2:23 A.M. EST.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post

EXACTLY the reason why any carriers data stinks sometimes. Because of people abusing the system.
    In your defense tho Sprint can't handle a phone call properly so I assume data ia just as bad.

My kid got some cds for Xmas. She also got a phone. I ripped the cd and put the songs on her phones memory card. So I don't see where the legal issues are. Etc etc Wtf.

And sadly you have 3 carriers if I'm reading your post correctly? Is it work related or just picky ?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tackleberry23 View Post
    EXACTLY the reason why any carriers data stinks sometimes. Because of people abusing the system.
    In your defense tho Sprint can't handle a phone call properly so I assume data ia just as bad.

My kid got some cds for Xmas. She also got a phone. I ripped the cd and put the songs on her phones memory card. So I don't see where the legal issues are. Etc etc Wtf.

And sadly you have 3 carriers if I'm reading your post correctly? Is it work related or just picky ?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    I have T-Mobile for myself, and Sprint is still on the parent's acct for just the cost of the AAL (they insist i keep it for AMA)... i get EVDO data roaming on Verizon here with Sprint since it's an old alltel market, so i just removed the PRL from my blackberry and i can force it to whatever network i want

and yes, i'm that picky, im studying engineering and am a big electronics geek, so i want my cell phones to work the best they can anywhere/everywhere i go

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast