Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Phone
    iPhone X
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Why would they do that though? A massive amount of people will be pretty ticked off if the iPhone 5 is released this summer on Verizon and everyone with an iPhone 4 is NOT eligible for an upgrade.

Its like clockwork for AT&T, every summer a new version of the iPhone is released, whether or not it is a new design or just some small changes, but I just cant justify why a new version of the phone will be released less than six months from the first iPhone on Verizon. Maybe every February an iPhone for Verizon?

Phone
    BlackBerry 8830
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jjj23 View Post
    Either way there's gonna be a lot of unhappy customers. If Apple doesn't offer the new one on Verizon, they'll be mad , if they do the early adopters will be mad.
    I disagree with this. I bought one (on my way to FedEx now to pick it up) because I want it now and am tired of my Blackberry. I bought it with the expectation a new one will be released this summer. I will not be the least bit mad and will probably buy it if there are enough new features. I can always sell the iPhone 4 or give it to a family member.

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I believe iPhone 5 is coming to Verizon this summer along side the GSM (AT&T model.) Who knows, it may even be a single model that runs on both carriers (even iPhone 4 has a dual mod chip.)
    That being said, if you're worried about it, that means you should wait. It's tough to wait that long but you are committing to the phone for about 18 months.
    On the flip side, let's say you get iPhone 4 today. That should put your upgrade eligibility right around summer 2012, so you'll be lined up pretty well for an iPhone 6 upgrade. Whereas you wait for iPhone 5, you're pretty much committed to iPhone 7 (summer 2013) or at best iPhone 6 in half way between releases in the winter.

Now think about what iPhone 5 MIGHT be. Most speculation is that it will not have 4G LTE. That means iPhone 6 (2012) may have 4G LTE.
    What would you rather have, iPhone 4 today and LTE in 1.5 years the day it's released (or close to it?) Or iPhone 5 and have to skip the LTE model on near launch and wait for it.

It's all educated speculation. iPhone 4 is darn good and I certainly have no intention of upgrading to iPhone 5 this year myself.
    Just consider the next upgrade down the line and the timing of it is all I'm saying.

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9 View Post
    I believe iPhone 5 is coming to Verizon this summer along side the GSM (AT&T model.) Who knows, it may even be a single model that runs on both carriers (even iPhone 4 has a dual mod chip.)
    That being said, if you're worried about it, that means you should wait. It's tough to wait that long but you are committing to the phone for about 18 months.
    On the flip side, let's say you get iPhone 4 today. That should put your upgrade eligibility right around summer 2012, so you'll be lined up pretty well for an iPhone 6 upgrade. Whereas you wait for iPhone 5, you're pretty much committed to iPhone 7 (summer 2013) or at best iPhone 6 in half way between releases in the winter.
    Now think about what iPhone 5 MIGHT be. Most speculation is that it will not have 4G LTE. That means iPhone 6 (2012) may have 4G LTE.What would you rather have, iPhone 4 today and LTE in 1.5 years the day it's released (or close to it?) Or iPhone 5 and have to skip the LTE model on near launch and wait for it.

It's all educated speculation. iPhone 4 is darn good and I certainly have no intention of upgrading to iPhone 5 this year myself.
    Just consider the next upgrade down the line and the timing of it is all I'm saying.
    And this is why I got the iPhone 4 now so it will set me up to get the iPhone 6 next year which will most likely be LTE by then. I really really doubt that an LTE version of the iPhone will be released this year. So, why wait and then be disappointed and then have to wait until 2013 to upgrade to the LTE version. Besides I just opened up my iPhone 4 last night (haven't activated yet) but the construction of it is pretty solid and I can see myself keeping this phone for awhile.

Phone
    LG V30; iPhone X
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    However, if iPhone 5 is a multi-mode UMTS/HSPA/CDMA device, then yes, it could come to all carriers this summer.
    The chipsets that exist right now, I don't see how they can make a single device that is the same form factor, or smaller. From what we know right now, such a device would have to be bigger and, it seems to me, therefore unlikely.

I think we're going to see an AT&T HSPA+ device first, and then a very slightly larger Verizon LTE device a few months later.

We'd all benefit from the lower prices we would get if they could build one size device, but I don't see any way (at the moment) to avoid having the Verizon LTE device very slightly larger, and a combined HSPA+/LTE device would be discernibly larger and the consumer would notice it.

Phone
    iPhone 8925
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Its not ideal, but release cycles of products with different colors, radios, etc. can and will be staggered due to manufacturing constraints.
    Just have to suck it up and hope you are not on the short end of your personal choice.

Phone
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wellduh11 View Post
    Agreed. They put a lot of time and effort into marketing the 4. If they released the 5 this summer, they'd have some really unhappy customers.
    And it's not as if Apple has ever had any unhappy customers Remember what happened when iPhone 2G was introduced in June of 2007 and then just a few months later they reduced the price from $600 to $400. Lots of early adopters were none too pleased.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Avant SM-G386T (T-Mobile), BlackBerry Bold 9900 (AT&T)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    l think Apple has put itself in a bad position with the timing of the Verizon iPhone 4 release and the upcoming iPhone 5. If they don't release a Verizon iPhone 5 with the AT&T version this June/July then Verizon will be one generation behind for however long they wait to release it. If they do release a Verizon iPhone 5 at the same time as the AT&T version then they'll piss off a lot of Verizon customers who just bought the iPhone 4. I know there are many customers who won't care but a lot of Apple fans like to have the latest and greatest Apple products so the ones who want the newest iPhone for Verizon will feel screwed that they just renewed their contract when they got the iPhone 4 and they'll have to wait 20 months before they get their next discounted Verizon iPhone. Sure they can pay full retail for the iPhone 5 and then sell their iPhone 4 on eBay or Craigslist but there are many people who don't know how to do that and/or don't want to deal with selling it.

I expect the Verizon iPhone 5 to have both CDMA and GSM/UMTS for global roaming (i.e. Verizon world phone) and i expect the iPhone 6 in 2012 to have LTE.
    Last edited by Sam K; 02-10-2011 at 12:34 AM.
    Sam K

Phone
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'd say iphone 5 this summer on both networks. It just makes sense for Apple to align their products. It's half a year before a release would likely come so I don't think that's too soon for apple to say 'oh no we just released it'.
    I doubt it'll have LTE compatibility though.
    I think it'll be like an iphone 4S (like a 3G-3gs) so while it'd be the latest it won't be as different as the 3gs-4 and with that the temptation perhaps not as great.

Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Just spoke with a vzw rep when activating wifes iPhone and he confirmed iPhone 5 will be released mid summer and it will be 4g, claims they are already getting information on it.
    iPhone 6 plus

Phone
    Nexus One
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Anybody who doesn't think a new iphone is coming out this summer for Verizon is naive

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastrodamous View Post
    Anybody who doesn't think a new iphone is coming out this summer for Verizon is naive
    Post a link. Otherwise it's all just pointless speculation.

Phone
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by briareus View Post
    Post a link. Otherwise it's all just pointless speculation.
    Apple doesn't skip product cycles. In Apple's view the Verizon iPhone is just the iPhone 4 on a new carrier. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

That being said, I bet this summer is an upgrade similar to the 3G upgrade to 3Gs. I bet we see a iPhone 4 refresh, that integrates CDMA and UTMS (maybe HSPA+) with a faster processor. Apple wants to keep 1 model of iPhone only.
    Seems like it is cool to have these in your sig?

Phone
    OnePlus 6, iPhone XS Max
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tsturbo View Post
    Just spoke with a vzw rep when activating wifes iPhone and he confirmed iPhone 5 will be released mid summer and it will be 4g, claims they are already getting information on it.
    That, I seriously doubt.
    iPhone XS Max | OnePlus 6
    www.blueearlbrewing.com

Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    U doubting me or the rep?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast