Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Enable USB Modem Sprint Touch Pro 2

Feedback Score
    OK. I unlocked the registry with CeRegEditor and then applied the cab file and now it's connecting. hopefully that will last... I'll keep you guys updated. I'm also able to surf the web with opera from the phone at the same time.
    Last edited by TheCensor; 08-16-2011 at 03:30 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCensor View Post
    IT: any luck lately with this?
    Yes. I installed Mortscript, wrote a script to set the value in the registry, and put it in the startup folder so it executes every time the phone boots. It works perfect now. Plug in the phone, select modem, and it's good to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Architect View Post
    Yes. I installed Mortscript, wrote a script to set the value in the registry, and put it in the startup folder so it executes every time the phone boots. It works perfect now. Plug in the phone, select modem, and it's good to go.
    Thanks, but doesn't that cause to reboot every day? I'll either do that or just apply the cab file hack before I want to tether.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, but doesn't that cause to reboot every day? I'll either do that or just apply the cab file hack before I want to tether.
    No. The only time you lose your registry settings is when it reboots. After it reboots, everything in the Startup folder executes, including the script, which reenters the necessary registry settings automatically.

You will need to adjust the script to match your provider's requirements. This is the one that I wrote for Sprint/Boost CDMA. It includes only what is necessary, and has been honed to work perfectly. I don't even think about it anymore. I just plug in the USB, select Internet Sharing, and I'm connected. When I'm finished, I unplug the USB, plug it back in, and select ActiveSync. You can switch using the applet too. It just takes longer than plugging and unplugging. That's why I have the script set the registry entry for the phone to prompt me at connection.
    Code:
    # *******************************************************************
    #
    #				TetheringFix.mscr
    #
    # Purpose:  Changes the registry to enable tethering on the Sprint network
    # Requirements: MortScript installed on the phone
    # Implementation: Call from shortcut in the Startup folder silently
    # *** Rename extension that prevents tethering
    RegWriteString ("HKLM", "Comm\InternetSharing", "Extension", "isext_disable.dll")

# *** Force prompting for USB connection type on connect
    RegWriteDWord ("HKLM", "Services\CMGuardian", "Flags", "4")

# *** Phone resets key to default, "Phone as Modem", on boot
    # *** This sets the key to the required value of "Sprint"
    RegWriteString ("HKLM", "Comm\InternetSharing\Settings", "ForceCellConnection", "Sprint")
    The script I put in a folder off root named Custom. I store everything custom in there with shortcuts to the items. That makes customizations easier to maintain.

deathtrip Guest
    Just a slight note... I have seen some people say in the past that using just "Sprint" won't allow it to connect, that they had to use "Sprint PCS".

If the above regedit doesn't fix tethering for you, try using Sprint PCS on ForceCellConnection.

Feedback Score
    Thanks you all. One side question. I noticed that the GPS on the TP2 uses the satellite rather than the cell towers for location. Is there a way to change that?

Thanks

deathtrip Guest
    The GPS on the TP2 is standalone. No data is needed unless your navigation program doesn't have the maps included... this means that if you're using an app that must download the maps, or waypoint while on the go, you need data only for that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtrip View Post
    The GPS on the TP2 is standalone. No data is needed unless your navigation program doesn't have the maps included... this means that if you're using an app that must download the maps, or waypoint while on the go, you need data only for that.
    Yes, I use Google maps and Bing maps, but I also plan on geeting a sports GPS app,the problem with satellite GPS is that it's not as good when it's very cloudy. I remember my Verizon phone got the GPS from the cell towers so I get the coordinates regardless of the weather. So I was wondring if Spring/Boost has a similar service or am I stuck with satellite.

Device(s)
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I use Google maps and Bing maps, but I also plan on geeting a sports GPS app,the problem with satellite GPS is that it's not as good when it's very cloudy. I remember my Verizon phone got the GPS from the cell towers so I get the coordinates regardless of the weather. So I was wondring if Spring/Boost has a similar service or am I stuck with satellite.
    my prevail has a setting for gps, or location from data network.

deathtrip Guest
    Android, as far as I know, gives you that option on phones which have an internal GPS.

Feedback Score
    Android, as far as I know, gives you that option on phones which have an internal GPS.
    Thanks, I'll try it when I install Android.

Feedback Score
    Just a slight note... I have seen some people say in the past that using just "Sprint" won't allow it to connect, that they had to use "Sprint PCS". If the above regedit doesn't fix tethering for you, try using Sprint PCS on ForceCellConnection.
    I agree. I've used both. I experimented to see if one was faster than the other, but I never came up with anything that could consistently prove that, so I put it on Sprint PCS because it sounded faster. That worked for a couple weeks, and all of the sudden it stopped working. I was bummed and thought Boost Mobile had cut me off, but I learned that if I changed it to Sprint, I could connect again. Since I never had the problem again, it's still on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Censor
    my prevail has a setting for gps, or location from data network.
    I thought that positioning based on tower locations was a GSM thing?
    Last edited by IT_Architect; 08-21-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Feedback Score
    I agree. I've used both. I experimented to see if one was faster than the other, but I never came up with anything that could consistently prove that, so I put it on Sprint PCS because it sounded faster. That worked for a couple weeks, and all of the sudden it stopped working. I was bummed and thought Boost Mobile had cut me off, but I learned that if I changed it to Sprint, I could connect again. Since I never had the problem again, it's still on Sprint.
    I thought that positioning based on tower locations was a GSM thing?
    No, My verizon phone (non smart) got it's coordinates from the cell towers

deathtrip Guest
    If you put it back on Sprint PCS, I bet it will still work...

Feedback Score
    I'm new to this. Do I copy this script to a text file on my computer then save it as 'TetheringFix.mscr' then copy it over the the TP2 in the startup folder in the 'windows' folder?

Thanks

No. The only time you lose your registry settings is when it reboots. After it reboots, everything in the Startup folder executes, including the script, which reenters the necessary registry settings automatically.

You will need to adjust the script to match your provider's requirements. This is the one that I wrote for Sprint/Boost CDMA. It includes only what is necessary, and has been honed to work perfectly. I don't even think about it anymore. I just plug in the USB, select Internet Sharing, and I'm connected. When I'm finished, I unplug the USB, plug it back in, and select ActiveSync. You can switch using the applet too. It just takes longer than plugging and unplugging. That's why I have the script set the registry entry for the phone to prompt me at connection.
    Code:
    #
    #				TetheringFix.mscr
    #
    # Purpose:  Changes the registry to enable tethering on the Sprint network
    # Requirements: MortScript installed on the phone
    # Implementation: Call from shortcut in the Startup folder silently
    # *** Rename extension that prevents tethering
    RegWriteString ("HKLM", "Comm\InternetSharing", "Extension", "isext_disable.dll")

# *** Force prompting for USB connection type on connect
    RegWriteDWord ("HKLM", "Services\CMGuardian", "Flags", "4")

# *** Phone resets key to default, "Phone as Modem", on boot
    # *** This sets the key to the required value of "Sprint"
    RegWriteString ("HKLM", "Comm\InternetSharing\Settings", "ForceCellConnection", "Sprint")
    The script I put in a folder off root named Custom. I store everything custom in there with shortcuts to the items. That makes customizations easier to maintain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast