Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Enable USB Modem Sprint Touch Pro 2

Feedback Score

Enable USB Modem Sprint Touch Pro 2

I'm having difficulty getting my new Touch Pro 2 to tether.
    - Stock ROM. The phone came with 6.5 out of the box from Sprint.
    - It's activated on boost and can get e-mail, text, and browse.
    - ActiveSync is installed from the disk that came with the phone. Version 4.5.0 (Build 5096) During setup I checked "Allow wireless data connections" I synced with Outlook, so I know that works.
    - I followed the instructions at HTC which say:
    a. Plug the phone into the USB. I left the PC Connection type as USB.
    b. When it asks, select Internet Sharing
    c. Click done.
    After I click done, I get the error message:

"Internet Connection Sharing cannot be initiated as the cellular network is currently not available."

I need it to be able to respond in minutes when I get a text from a remote server in distress, and Internet Explorer is the only browser that I can do it with. I tried the one in the phone and that would take me forever, so I just want to take my laptop out of hibernation and use the browser on it. At the moment I'm the one who is tethered. Lately, the servers have been waiting me to get 15 minutes from the office before they go down so I cannot respond.

Thanks!

I know there is a way to do it also with Wi-Fi, which I haven't tried, but what I need at the moment is to just get it to work. I'm just trying to get it to work USB because might be nice sometime, but USB I would think would take a lot less "juice" and I really just need it personally for when I have no internet, and I need to work on a server need this for emergencies

deathtrip Guest
    WMWifiRouter, ICS Control, PDAnet, etc.

Or, use a Registry Editor for the phone and do this...

Go to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
    Delete the "isext.dll" entry
    Go to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\settings]
    Change "ForceCellConnection" from "PhoneAsModem" to "Sprint" ("Sprint PCS" on some phones).

Then load Internet Connection Sharing, and connect.

Feedback Score
    Thank you TONS! for your reply. I'll try them...and for your incredible service getting my TP2 activated.

Device(s)
    HTC Snap
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    If run this file on your TP2 it should work as well. It does the registry hacks for you without installing a registry editor.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57569/Intern...ring%20FIX.cab

deathtrip Guest
    I have that file listed on my webserver to share... but since it doesn't work for EVERYONE, I don't give out the link, it's easier to just tell them what to do.

Feedback Score
    >I have that file listed on my webserver to share... but since it doesn't work for EVERYONE, I don't give out the link, it's easier to just tell them what to do.<

Well...I tried the link. That didn't work. Then I got a registry editor CeRegEditor, and made the changes. It still doesn't work, but it did something because now I get private network address, 192.168.0.2, and a gateway, a Class C mask, and a believable gateway, 192.168.0.1. However, it doesn't work still, and when I do a ping from a DOS box it returns "Hardware error." I tried both "Sprint" and "Sprint PCS"

EDIT: It's working. Once I replaced "PhoneAsModem" with "Sprint PCS", I got a believable IP address and gateway. However, I had to turn off ActiveSync on the PC to get rid of the "Hardware error."
    Last edited by IT_Architect; 02-08-2011 at 05:16 PM.

deathtrip Guest
    Congrats

Device(s)
    HTC Snap
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtrip View Post
    I have that file listed on my webserver to share... but since it doesn't work for EVERYONE, I don't give out the link, it's easier to just tell them what to do.
    Yeah I know but for us lazy people if it works then great

Feedback Score
    I learned when I used the CeRegEditor to make the changes, that the registry was locked. It went on to explain that new phones are normally shipped that way, and offered to unlock it. This may explain why the script didn't work for me, and why it may not for
    many others.

PS: I just changed the registry entry from Sprint to Sprint PCS. It works at least as good that way too.
    Last edited by IT_Architect; 02-10-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile, Boost Mobile(former)
    Feedback Score
    Definitely one advantage to the TP2 or windows mobile phones over other devices as its much easier to re-enable the modem for tethering
    Former Boost Mobile Subscriber (2001-2013)
    Current T-Mobile Subscriber

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2/HTC Treo Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO/Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Actually, the registry method is unreliable on later model HTC phones because of CMGuardian. You can get tethering to work by changing one .xml file in \windows, without resorting to registry edits.

This applies to any late-model WM6 phones such as Treo Pro or TP2.

-- Starfox

Feedback Score
    Actually, the registry method is unreliable on later model HTC phones because of CMGuardian
    Today, when I was doing data, my phone decided to reboot. I also got my error 67 back and the registry settings were back to where they were before I changed them. So, what can I do to prevent that?

PS: I also noticed if the the little Ev thingie isn't showing, data services usability goes from weak to nearly unusable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Architect View Post
    Today, when I was doing data, my phone decided to reboot. I also got my error 67 back and the registry settings were back to where they were before I changed them. So, what can I do to prevent that?

PS: I also noticed if the the little Ev thingie isn't showing, data services usability goes from weak to nearly unusable.
    I'm pretty sure one of the programs DT posted will nullify the problem of losing settings. LOL when the little Ev "thingy"lol isn't showing does it show 1X or nothing at all?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Architect View Post

IT: any luck lately with this?

Feedback Score
    I fixed mine by entering my phone number as the password if I remember correctly but by doing that everything data-wise is pushed through a proxy whereas registry edit allows without proxy. Its been a long time since I boned up on this so I may be wrong, if so sorry for the misinformation.

Sent from my ppcT7380 Ti/FRX06 via HowardForums app

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast