Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Mobile selling SIMs now?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

PC Mobile selling SIMs now?

I read at RFD that they were but haven't been into a store to confirm. Their website doesn't mention it at all. Can anyone here confirm?
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I got a friend that just bought one, it was $10 and you have to call in to activate. Apparently it includes a $10 startup credit too.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    ^thanks. I went into a local Zehrs store but they didn't have a PC Mobile kiosk. I'll try the closest SuperStore sometime.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Stopped in a picked up a SIM for $10, which includes $10 airtime credit. Called in to activate and enabled unlimited data for $0.25/day. Cut the SIM down to microSIM and popped it in my iPhone 4 and works like a charm. Data works, but when I did a speed test, it was 0.08-0.12 Mbps down but up was over 2 Mbps. Phone shows it is 3G data, so there might be some issue there. I am considering this for my wife's iPhone 3G, but I will need to get a SIM->microSIM adapter for this chopped up SIM and will also need to unlock her phone. The signal itself seems much stronger in my house than the Rogers/Fido 3G signal. 4-5 bars with PC Mobile, where Fido gives 1-3.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Intriguing. Looks like they're throttling the speed based on your experience, but I look forward to reading other stories. Did your phone automatically use Bell APN settings?

Can I assume the MCC/MNC of the SIM is the same as Bell? So any Bell-locked HSPA device should work with this SIM even without unlocking?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Intriguing. Looks like they're throttling the speed based on your experience, but I look forward to reading other stories. Did your phone automatically use Bell APN settings?

Can I assume the MCC/MNC of the SIM is the same as Bell? So any Bell-locked HSPA device should work with this SIM even without unlocking?
    I didn't do any thorough testing. When I searched for alternative carriers 2 other PC Mobile options appeared in the carrier list (no bell or telus) so I may try manually switching to those and testing. I would assume the APN setting were automatically picked up from the SIM...APN settings weren't exposed on the iPhone, which is controlled by the SIM. As for if a locked Bell phone would work, I am not sure. Possible. When you call into activate you get through to Bell.

Oh and no activation fee. Now that they have and support SIMs, this could give the major prepaid carriers a real run for their money.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    DO NOT BOTHER IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE A SMARTPHONE.

I just had my balance drop to $0. Called in and they said I accessed data that wasn't from a browser and so I was charged (not sure how much, but enough to wipe out the $10). They credited it back and canceled the data option, as they said it was not meant for any smart phones.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-ca; Nexus One Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Yikes. I guess Bell is Bell however you slice it

I wonder if it is related to the APN settings. Someone who gets the first PC HSPA phone should post here the APN it comes configured with.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    DO NOT BOTHER IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE A SMARTPHONE.

I just had my balance drop to $0. Called in and they said I accessed data that wasn't from a browser and so I was charged (not sure how much, but enough to wipe out the $10). They credited it back and canceled the data option, as they said it was not meant for any smart phones.
    Thanks for letting us know.

The only carrier that I can find that allows smartphones to use a prepaid data option is Telus, and that's only for HSPA, not CDMA.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    Thanks for letting us know.

The only carrier that I can find that allows smartphones to use a prepaid data option is Telus, and that's only for HSPA, not CDMA.
    Fido allows it, but the prepaid smartphone data rates are less than spectacular.
    $2 for 20 MB Data Day Pass
    $7 for 125 MB Data Week Pass

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    $7/125/week is actually relatively competitive with Telus' $20/250+SMS/month, except for the fact that Telus is currently running a promo where you actually get unlimited data for the month instead of just 250 MB.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    Fido allows it, but the prepaid smartphone data rates are less than spectacular.
    $2 for 20 MB Data Day Pass
    $7 for 125 MB Data Week Pass
    Thanks for that. I knew about those for postpaid, but had not noticed that they were also available for prepaid.

Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    $7/125/week is actually relatively competitive with Telus' $20/250+SMS/month, except for the fact that Telus is currently running a promo where you actually get unlimited data for the month instead of just 250 MB.
    I am thinking of switching to this very one. Switching to Telus would give me better rural coverage and a more reliable HSPA network. The Rogers/Fido 3G network silently fails a fair bit.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Sure, go for it =) Also as a bonus, if you bought a 30-day add-on, they drop your voice rate to 20˘/min. Just remember that whenever the promo ends (currently slated for March 20th), the next month of the $20 pack that you buy will only cover 250 MB data.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I just got one of these prepaid sims from The great Canadian Superstore at Scaborough Town Centre and added the 25 cent unlimited internet option with my US factory unlocked Sony Ericsson X1a.

When I called to activate the sim, I gave the rep the IMEI of my K850i and popped the sim into the Sony Ericsson X1a. So far, I'm able to use Youtube on it, I even installed the WI-FI tether app and transmitted the WI-FI to my Iphone no problem.

I checked my balance twice and it's still $9.75. I think as long you use it on a non-Canadian smart phone, it should be ok.

Right now, I'm benefiting from unlimited mobile internet including tethering for 25 cents a day

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Takumi: Which APN did you enter on the phone to access data? It may be that the billing depends on APN. What speeds are you getting?

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast