Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread: PC Mobile selling SIMs now?

Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manteiv View Post
    The UMB is deducted daily at 25 cents per day, not $7 in one shot and I did not take the $10 SMS package. It can't be the 5 cents per kb either because I am still using my UMB browsing without any further mysterious charges since this morning.

It can go like this for days, the charges are deducted at normal known rate for several days and then all of a sudden, a huge amount is deducted in a very short period of time. I am 100% sure that I did not have any other Services enabled other than Safari.

It must be something hidden to the user, in the lines of the Iphone 4 collecting the whereabout of their owners in the last several months, you guys have heard about this right?
    That's why I suggested a billing error. It seems too "round" to be a data charge and it's not a multiple of $0.15 so that rules out SMS (unless of course it's a combination of the two).

I've got an iP4 as well and still deducting predictably for me. I'll continue to leave data disabled and only turn it on as needed and keep an eye out.

Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I should note that my phone is factory unlocked. I had the previous owner pay Fido to unlock before he sold it to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morden View Post
    I should note that my phone is factory unlocked. I had the previous owner pay Fido to unlock before he sold it to me.
    my Iphone 3GS is factory unlocked too, it was originally bought from Apple Store in Hong Kong and had never been locked. In HK, carriers are not allowed by law to lock phones.

It must be something particular to the Iphone only because none of the other phones have this problem

Do you think if I take the Unlimited SMS package from PC mobile will solve the problem? it will cost $10 per month

Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm not entirely sure the charges you saw are from SMS. The iPhone definitely sends SMS messages for FaceTime and maybe GameCenter, but with those services disabled it seems to be free of those charges.

I'm still of the opinion that you should call PC and find out specifically what those charges where.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Nice speeds. I'm only getting about 1400 down max on my Optimus One, but it suffices for my needs. I will have to try with other SIMs to see if it's just a matter of the phone.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Here's an update from my experience........

I have an Iphone 3gs and a Nexus S running on PC Mobile with UMB. Until Friday, I was getting the occasional 15cent charge for the phantom SMS messages on both phones. Then I Googled how to block SMS (incoming and outgoing). I followed one suggestion to use an app called " aFirewall ". That seems to have done the trick for the Android side. On the Iphone, there are several options, but the one that I chose was " Norton Mobile Security ". It is in beta and seems to be what I need. No SMS at all since Friday.

Is anyone using the monthly Flex 25 plan? Is it probable to keep the costs at $25 plus tax ? I find that in the Greater Montreal area, the local zone is very small. Is there a map which shows PC Mobile local coverage?

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thedvrguy View Post
    [...] I followed one suggestion to use an app called " aFirewall ". That seems to have done the trick for the Android side. On the Iphone, there are several options, but the one that I chose was " Norton Mobile Security ". It is in beta and seems to be what I need. No SMS at all since Friday.
    Interesting. Does either tool have a log that says what it blocked, when, and from what application it originated?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    Interesting. Does either tool have a log that says what it blocked, when, and from what application it originated?
    Yes It is very sophisticated. There are various levels of logging which are all addressable from the settings menu.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thedvrguy View Post
    Yes It is very sophisticated. There are various levels of logging which are all addressable from the settings menu.
    Super. If it has enough information to say what app(s) are sending messages in the background, please let us know.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I decided to top with with $15 to do some more testing. The only strange behavior so far was immediately after I topped up yesterday, I check my balance and it was at $13.50, so $1.50 had come off. The last time I had the account active, I had subscribed to both the unlimited data and the unlimited texting plan (daily), so I expected the $0.75 but I am not sure where the other $0.75 came off. As far as I know, there is no 911 charge for Ontario with PC, at least their FAQ only shows:
    10. Are there any monthly service charges or system access fees to pay?

There are no system access fees with PC mobile. Currently, a monthly service charge is required by the provincial governments for 911 service in the following provinces:
    $0.49 Saskatchewan
    $0.43 Nova Scotia
    $0.53 New Brunswick
    $0.50 PEI
    I think it is most likely that it was a retroactive charge to cover my a days billing from the last time I topped up, where a charge was to be made but couldn't because the funds had run dry. I called in and had the unlimited texting disabled, but the charge from yesterday would have continued to give me free texting until midnight last night, so it wasn't a good time to test if the various settings would work to prevent the phantom charges. When I checked this morning, the balance had dropped by $0.25 from the night before, as expected for the daily data charge. At least during the 8 hours since midnight there have been no phantom text charges. I am going to leave the SIM in until the afternoon. The rep said the billing and feature duration would last until midnight, but I want to make sure the free texting isn't remaining active for 24 from the original charge (yesterday at noon when I topped up).

Anyway, the settings I changed were:
    Settings->Phone->Disable Facetime
    Settings->General->Restrictions-> turned off 'Allow' for Facetime and Ping
    Settings->General->Restrictions-> turned off GameCenter Multiplayer games and Adding Friends.

I don't want to leave this SIM for too long, as I have my Fido number forwarded to it so I don't miss calls, but every call I get drops my balance. I won a Samsung Galaxy Tab the other day. If I can't sell it, then I am going to get it unlocked and use that as my test device. Anyone have any suggestions on sites to get info on rooting and unlocking Androids, (specifically the Galaxy tab) and recommend a cheap, reliable unlocking service?

Also: speeds are still fantastic compared to Rogers/Fido in my area (and yet my office is a couple hundred feet from a Rogers tower...). VOIP works great, tethering seems to work fine (limited testing), streaming audio and video is no problem, Push Notifications are coming. At some point I am going to have to unlock my old iPhone 3G so my wife can use this instead. At $15/month it will be a little more than she is paying for her prepaid Fido, but only because Fido allows $10 top ups. Need to decide if a 50% increase in what she pays is worth it for her, when she hardly uses the minutes she has with Fido, just to gain data, which she might not use much anyway.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Feedback Score
    "At $15/month it will be a little more than she is paying for her prepaid Fido, but only because Fido allows $10 top ups. Need to decide if a 50% increase in what she pays is worth it for her, when she hardly uses the minutes she has with Fido, just to gain data, which she might not use much anyway. "

You know you can top up $25 every 60 days, do you? That's $12.5/month.

Or if you don't mind the risky $100 top card, it's good for 365 days, only $8.3 per month.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Ahh, didn't realize the $25 lasted for 60 days. That changes the equation. But, I won't risk the $100 just yet

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wl08 View Post
    [...] Or if you don't mind the risky $100 top card, it's good for 365 days, only $8.3 per month.
    There is such a thing for PC Mobile? Ther Web page gives no hint: http://mobile.presidentschoice.ca/pc...0628/cl1/topup

If I can get that, I might use it for a backup account. The SIM that I am currently using with a smartphone will probably stay on $25 for two months (with extra top-up if I use it a lot) because of the possibility of PC Mobile issuing extra charges without warning. All it takes is for them to start billing by the KB as a surprise and your balance is drained.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    There is such a thing for PC Mobile? Ther Web page gives no hint: http://mobile.presidentschoice.ca/pc...0628/cl1/topup

If I can get that, I might use it for a backup account. The SIM that I am currently using with a smartphone will probably stay on $25 for two months (with extra top-up if I use it a lot) because of the possibility of PC Mobile issuing extra charges without warning. All it takes is for them to start billing by the KB as a surprise and your balance is drained.
    They do have $100 cards in store. I knew they expired after 1 year, but thought all of the other denominations were 30 day expiry. Their info on their site is all over the place. They make no mention of the $100 card, but they do mention a $50 top up option if you use their express top up service:
    http://mobile.presidentschoice.ca/pc...gUp/Topping_Up

I saw the $100 yesterday and on prior occasions though, so they are definitely there.

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast