Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Mobile selling SIMs now?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I just heard that the Galaxy Tab is now down to $399 no-contract at Bell. At that price it might be tempting for some to buy that tablet and then run it on PC Mobile (with the right APN of course). It's a bit of a "last-gen" tablet but it's still a nice slab of hardware.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I think it's still locked to Rogers.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    HTC Magic (Fido)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (GSM),
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    I think it's still locked to Rogers.
    what's still locked to Rogers, the Bell Samsung Tablet?
    Sharp PC3k > Palm 1k, Pro, III > HandEra 330 > Compaq Aero 1500 > Palm T1, T3 > Sharp Zaurus > Toshiba e800 > Palm TX > Audiovox XV-6700 > Nokia N82, 5800XM > HTC Magic > Acer Liquid E > iPhone4, Samsung Galaxy Tab

Device(s)
    HTC Magic (Fido)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (GSM),
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    I just heard that the Galaxy Tab is now down to $399 no-contract at Bell. At that price it might be tempting for some to buy that tablet and then run it on PC Mobile (with the right APN of course). It's a bit of a "last-gen" tablet but it's still a nice slab of hardware.
    I picked one up and was able to unlock it (or it was already unlocked, not sure). I flashed the European ROM, so now I can make phone calls if needed (verified with a friend's SIM). Looking for a good data provider that will allow occasional phone calls, and PC Mobile looks like a good bet.

Feedback Score
    Hello everyone

Like someone has mentionned earlier here, some (most?) PC Mobile Staff is not aware that you can have only the SIM activated without having to actually buy a PC Mobile handset.

I spend one hour this morning being transferred back and forth between the departments of Customer Service, Activation service and Bell Mobility. The staff was quite confused and initially told me they could not allow to activate the SIM only without a PC Mobile handset. I told them I have a unlocked phone etc. and they told me they are not allowed to activate SIM only without a phone purchased from PC Mobile. I even got transferred to Bell Mobility and was told I had to pay $50 activation fee for a prepaid phone and needed to take a Bell Mobility plan! sigh!

At some point, while I was put on hold, they hang up on me so I called back, this time I chose to have service in English (I was talking to French customer service in Montreal before). This time, in English, I talked to a nice lady named Ida from customer service in Toronto. I explained what I want and she was already familiar with such request and told me that in Toronto, they do that every day.

Anyway, I got the SIM activated and was able to chose my own custom phone number to some extent.

By the way, I am using that SIM now in a factory unlocked Iphone 3GS (the phone was originally purchased directly from Apple in Hong Kong and was never locked so start with). I had to download from the Apple site (not from the Apple Store) the Iphone configuration utility to set the APN correctly.

Now, there is something that silently eats up 15 cents periodically on my phone, that amount corresponds to outgoing text messages of 15 cents per outgoing text message. I am trying to find out what. I can think of 2 applications that does this:

- someone mentioned FaceTime protocol sending out silent text messages but as far as I know, this is a 3GS phone so it does not have FaceTime right?
    - could it be the Viber application that I installed? can it send out silent text messages?

Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have Viber instsalled and no 15c charges, it is more likely to be a FaceTime issue.
    I also want to give you a heads up that by using the Apple route to configure your APN, it might not be the correct one that you need for the 25c Unlimited Browsing on PC Mobile -you might have to set this manually.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manteiv View Post
    Hello everyone

Like someone has mentionned earlier here, some (most?) PC Mobile Staff is not aware that you can have only the SIM activated without having to actually buy a PC Mobile handset.

I spend one hour this morning being transferred back and forth between the departments of Customer Service, Activation service and Bell Mobility. The staff was quite confused and initially told me they could not allow to activate the SIM only without a PC Mobile handset. I told them I have a unlocked phone etc. and they told me they are not allowed to activate SIM only without a phone purchased from PC Mobile. I even got transferred to Bell Mobility and was told I had to pay $50 activation fee for a prepaid phone and needed to take a Bell Mobility plan! sigh!

At some point, while I was put on hold, they hang up on me so I called back, this time I chose to have service in English (I was talking to French customer service in Montreal before). This time, in English, I talked to a nice lady named Ida from customer service in Toronto. I explained what I want and she was already familiar with such request and told me that in Toronto, they do that every day.

Anyway, I got the SIM activated and was able to chose my own custom phone number to some extent.

By the way, I am using that SIM now in a factory unlocked Iphone 3GS (the phone was originally purchased directly from Apple in Hong Kong and was never locked so start with). I had to download from the Apple site (not from the Apple Store) the Iphone configuration utility to set the APN correctly.

Now, there is something that silently eats up 15 cents periodically on my phone, that amount corresponds to outgoing text messages of 15 cents per outgoing text message. I am trying to find out what. I can think of 2 applications that does this:

- someone mentioned FaceTime protocol sending out silent text messages but as far as I know, this is a 3GS phone so it does not have FaceTime right?
    - could it be the Viber application that I installed? can it send out silent text messages?
    I was the one with the mystery $0.15 charges. They are definitely texts being send in the background, but I never was able to isolate exactly what process was sending them. I think i ruled out facetime (this was with an iPhone 4) by disabling it. There is obviously something else sending texts. It could still be facetime, I guess, but I think it is elsewhere. Have you tried disabling Ping? (Settings->General->Restrictions, set Ping to Off) That is one of the other apps that needs background info, so maybe it is doing some of that through texts, like facetime does.

You can actually call PC and ask what the numbers that the texts are going to. It didn't help me much, but maybe you will have more luck tracking down the destination and then the source.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, I meant locked to Bell. I think Rogers dropped their price that same day and I was thinking of them when I posted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    I was the one with the mystery $0.15 charges. They are definitely texts being send in the background, but I never was able to isolate exactly what process was sending them. I think i ruled out facetime (this was with an iPhone 4) by disabling it. There is obviously something else sending texts. It could still be facetime, I guess, but I think it is elsewhere. Have you tried disabling Ping? (Settings->General->Restrictions, set Ping to Off) That is one of the other apps that needs background info, so maybe it is doing some of that through texts, like facetime does.

You can actually call PC and ask what the numbers that the texts are going to. It didn't help me much, but maybe you will have more luck tracking down the destination and then the source.
    First, does an Iphone 3GS have Facetime to start with?

In the last hour, the mystery charge seems to stop, it used to be 5 consecutive charges of 15 cents in the hour before but I was unable to pin point what is the exact time interval between them. I will continue to monitor this thing closely. For the time being, I left everything as-is and did not deactivate anything. My location services is still running.

I have not yet configured any email accounts yet so it can't be related to that

I am using also Speedtest, could it be that? Speedtest requires location service to run to find test servers

By the way, I am sure my APN is set correctly via the Iphone Configuration tool because I checked the APN settings (Settings, General, Profile, More Details) and it says proxy.bell.ca (not editable here) and I have been browsing quite a lot since this morning.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manteiv View Post
    First, does an Iphone 3GS have Facetime to start with?

In the last hour, the mystery charge seems to stop, it used to be 5 consecutive charges of 15 cents in the hour before but I was unable to pin point what is the exact time interval between them. I will continue to monitor this thing closely. For the time being, I left everything as-is and did not deactivate anything. My location services is still running.

I have not yet configured any email accounts yet so it can't be related to that

I am using also Speedtest, could it be that? Speedtest requires location service to run to find test servers

By the way, I am sure my APN is set correctly via the Iphone Configuration tool because I checked the APN settings (Settings, General, Profile, More Details) and it says proxy.bell.ca (not editable here) and I have been browsing quite a lot since this morning.
    No, 3GS doesn't have facetime, so that is another indication it is some other process that is responsible. I don't think it would be any location services causing it, as I can't think of any reason they would be sending texts. FaceTime does it for activation and user status. The only other processes I can think of might have a similar need to send status updates and/or activate would be Ping, some IM apps or maybe VOIP apps. I am pretty sure I didn't have Skype running but have have had somethinglike Beejive for IM running. I didn't disable Ping, so that could still be it.

Feedback Score
    I don't see Ping on the Restriction list. Is-it something for the Iphone 4 only?

My 3GS firmware is 4.2.1 does not seems to have Ping (at least under the Restriction menu), could it be somewhere else?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    ^I think ping was intro'ed in iOS 4.3 so that isn't the cause for your drain.

The mystery continues.

Feedback Score
    yes the mystery continues, just got another series of 3x 15cents deductions during lunch time.

I am trying to call customer service to see what to see charges went

Update:
    Called customer services, they confirmed that a series of outgoing text messages were all to myself!

the time stamp seem random

The representative was suggesting one cause could be I did not have a IMEI number registered with the account so he thought could be the cause. I gave him the IMEI number of my 3GS, the system registered it no problem

He provided a one lifetime charge reversal.

Can you think of any reason why my 3GS is sending out text messages to itself?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Could it be the Visual Voicemail service sending text messages?

Sent from my Nook Color!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    ^If it is VVM, then mine was a different cause as I haven't subscribed to that service since last summer.

Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast