Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Family Plan & Caller ID

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score

Family Plan & Caller ID

Is it possible for each line on a family plan to show a different name for caller ID purposes?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Don't think so.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Yes it is. In your online account, you can assign a name to each phone line. This will be carried across to the caller ID.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S II
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    But only if you erase the caller ID's call history. The account holder's name will show until you erase the log, so the new name can appear.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kdfederer View Post
    Yes it is. In your online account, you can assign a name to each phone line. This will be carried across to the caller ID.
    In the seven and half years I was in At&t CS, it was never that easy. It required a tier 2 tech to make that type of change and even then it didn't change overnight. Changing it on you online only changes it when viewing the bill, unless something new recently changed.

As I understand, once the caller ID is changed in the At&t Mobility billing system, it also has to be updated at the landline telephone database to show correctly. It could take more than a month to show different, caller ID names.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Feedback Score
    it generally takes about 72 hours to change. Based on when the system updates, however the change won't override any name saves on a phone itself

Carrier(s)
    ATT Nation Family Talk 1400
    Feedback Score
    That is generally correct as I understand it, but the person who suggested it takes only 72 hours may be in for a rude awakening. There have been some other convoluted discussions here on this topic, and elsewhere on the web. The real rub is that because of our American-style cluster **** method of doing things a million different ways instead of actually standardizing something for the greater good, that process is far from seamless. Having CS put in a change to CNAM doesn't mean it will show up locally, even in different parts of the country since the CLECs(?) don't get paid for making such changes. If I am incorrect in this, someone please correct me. Anyway, getting the local landline databases to actually be updated is the hardest part of the process. I gleaned this after having a detailed discussion with someone working with a rural phone company. A litte more info-

http://direct-connect.net/showthread.php?t=1606

Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    In the seven and half years I was in At&t CS, it was never that easy. It required a tier 2 tech to make that type of change and even then it didn't change overnight. Changing it on you online only changes it when viewing the bill, unless something new recently changed.

As I understand, once the caller ID is changed in the At&t Mobility billing system, it also has to be updated at the landline telephone database to show correctly. It could take more than a month to show different, caller ID names.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Changing it on you online only changes it when viewing the bill, unless something new recently changed.

Changing the name in OLAM really does change the outgoing caller id. If you go into the AT&T OLAM, it's "My Profile" -> "User Information" -> "Edit User Information". You will then see this statement:
    Update your user contact information below and select the 'Save Changes' button. NOTE: Changing your user name information will update the name displayed on Caller ID up to 24 hours later.
    I did this just last week for my wife's line (it was sending my name for her outgoing caller id), and the change to her outgoing caller id followed within 24 hours, as promised. In fact, I changed it twice - once to her full name, and then again to use just her first initial.

I wonder if there has been some kind of recent streamlining of this process across all the databases, or perhaps there is now just one unified data base? The last time I looked into this, there were multiple data bases, and it could take a week or longer for a name to propagate across all of them.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like there has been an update on how quickly the changes take effect. I was only explaining how it was handled before I left At&t in 2009. Good to hear it worked for you so quickly. As a CS rep, it wasn't that we didn't want to resolve it, we were very limited in what we could do at that time.

Feedback Score
    So by the verbiage on OLAM it does seem like changing the User Information on the line actually changes the CID Name. The real problem is getting local landline databases to be updated. I have Optimum Voice and when we ported to AT&T, one of the lines had an outgoing CID Name (when calling the Optimum Voice number) of a completely different person, first and last name (keep in mind, this was a couple weeks AFTER we ported) I had to call Optimum Voice to alert them to the issue, and in 24 hours, the correct name started to display.

So getting AT&T to make the change in their database, and then having it reflected to local databases to all regions of the country makes a modification like this so annoyingly tedious to maintain.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Changing the name in OLAM really does change the outgoing caller id. If you go into the AT&T OLAM, it's "My Profile" -> "User Information" -> "Edit User Information". You will then see this statement: I did this just last week for my wife's line (it was sending my name for her outgoing caller id), and the change to her outgoing caller id followed within 24 hours, as promised. In fact, I changed it twice - once to her full name, and then again to use just her first initial.

I wonder if there has been some kind of recent streamlining of this process across all the databases, or perhaps there is now just one unified data base? The last time I looked into this, there were multiple data bases, and it could take a week or longer for a name to propagate across all of them.

Could you be a little more specific on how you were able to do this (details please)

NM: I've found it under "my profile", lets just hope it works

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    While that's good news, I believe you may be looking at a only a few pieces of the overall puzzle.

Try calling a friend or family member on their landline that you know isn't the same company providing photo service where you reside. IOW, if you have ATT POTS, they might have Verizon or a local carrier (CLEC) (etc.). I'd be curious to know if someone *not* using either ATTW or your local phone (POTS) provider also sees the same (corrected) called ID info from both of your lines. I still believe the databases are very separate in many parts of the U.S. since there may be some type of cost involved.

I'll try it again myself to see if there's any progress in my neck of the woods. I haven't attacked this problem in at least 10-11 mos.

-P

Changing the name in OLAM really does change the outgoing caller id. If you go into the AT&T OLAM, it's "My Profile" -> "User Information" -> "Edit User Information". You will then see this statement: I did this just last week for my wife's line (it was sending my name for her outgoing caller id), and the change to her outgoing caller id followed within 24 hours, as promised. In fact, I changed it twice - once to her full name, and then again to use just her first initial.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My landline is Verizon, and it is that landline that saw the change in < 24 hours. I don't think there's any AT&T POTS here in the NE.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Sure, but try calling someone out of state on a rinky dink phone service, or non-Verizon landline. See what they see for caller id in the display.

My landline is Verizon, and it is that landline that saw the change in < 24 hours. I don't think there's any AT&T POTS here in the NE.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ii have four lines on a family plan. Two show the name and two show " cellphone nyc"
    "Inside many liberals is a totalitarian screaming to get out. They don't like to have another point of view in the room that they don't squash and the way they try to squash it is by character assassination and name calling."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast