Thread: Traveling to the US

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Traveling to the US

Are the packages posted on bell.ca really the best you can get when traveling down in the US? $1 /MB? Seriously??

My boss is heading down to Florida for awhile, and can't be without her BB while down there. Her BB is not unlocked, and she'll never let me start hacking it, so other than buying a new phone & SIM (from an American service provider), what options do we have?

Feedback Score
    Unlock a phone is not consider as hacking. Bell can also get you the unlock code but will charge you a lot more.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just unlock the blackberry - it's super easy. Look at this thread: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...berry-for-0.01 Doesn't even cost anything and just buy a prepaid AT&T or T-Mobile or SimpleMobile card - I like SimpleMobile - it's $60/month for unlimited everything - text, data, voice in the US.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, formerly Bell Mobility (4 years), formerly Telus Mobility (Since '98, ended 2010) - 13 years
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vish0402 View Post
    Just unlock the blackberry - it's super easy. Look at this thread: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...berry-for-0.01 Doesn't even cost anything and just buy a prepaid AT&T or T-Mobile or SimpleMobile card - I like SimpleMobile - it's $60/month for unlimited everything - text, data, voice in the US.
    Prepaid AT&T cards won't work with BBs for data. Only voice and texts.
    But on the plus side, I knocked over the SunSphere.

Muh Plan:
    U/L Canadawide Calling
    U/L Picture/Video/Text Messaging
    5 GB Data
    $55/month less 10% for BYOD

The Former Abbywack-A-Mole

Device(s)
    Iphone 3gs
    Carrier(s)
    bell mobility
    Feedback Score
    Looking at unlocking my 3gs with 4.1 on it. Can I still have my sim card in it until I leave to go to Vegas?

Secondly, Does it have to be ATAnd T prepaid or can I use any carriers. Looking for a voice and data while I'm down in vegas. Can I just hit any cell store? Thanks guys

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by edumacated View Post
    Looking at unlocking my 3gs with 4.1 on it. Can I still have my sim card in it until I leave to go to Vegas?

Secondly, Does it have to be ATAnd T prepaid or can I use any carriers. Looking for a voice and data while I'm down in vegas. Can I just hit any cell store? Thanks guys
    You don't need AT&T - they do have a $2/day unlimited option for talk/text on Prepaid which might be nice if you need it only for a few days. Data will be $1/MB which is expensive but there are other data options. Try to stick to free wifi in Vegas in my opinion. And if you have free wifi, then might as well just get Skype on your iPhone and add the $2.99/month plan for unlimited talk in the US/Canada

The other option I use is the iPad plan - I walked into the Apple store and asked for the free AT&T microSIM for the iPad. Then you can go to http://wireless.att,com/iPad and set up your account with $25/month for 2GB data. Now use a microSIM to regular SIM holder ($2 everywhere) and I use that in my iPhone. Setup the APN to use the data settings for the iPad and now you will have 2GB of data! That's decent for all your surfing/email/IM/FB needs + can use Skype calling over 3G at $2.99 - net cost $25+$2+$2.99 = $29.99...I don;t think any roaming plan can beat that!

Device(s)
    Iphone 3gs
    Carrier(s)
    bell mobility
    Feedback Score
    "Setup the APN to use the data settings for the iPad and now you will have 2GB of data!"

Only part I don't get. What do you mean set up APN? Thanks for the info.....oh link isn't working. So I guess I'll be making a trip to the apple store in vegas

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    "Setup the APN to use the data settings for the iPad and now you will have 2GB of data!"

Only part I don't get. What do you mean set up APN? Thanks for the info.....oh link isn't working. So I guess I'll be making a trip to the apple store in vegas
    Sorry - my geekiness took over there for a moment. APN = Access Point Name. It's a setting in a phone through which all data is channeled with the provider. The AT&T iPad uses the APN called "broadband" (without the quotes). To use this, the iPhone needs to know which APN should it be using. There's a very simple APN changer tool availavle at unlockit.co.nz - just get there from your iPhone (over wifi) and configure a new APN with only one setting (leave everything blank) for APN: broadband Once ready, the new APN file will get downloaded on your phone - install it. Reboot and you're done. Now you will get 3G coverage with the AT&T iPad microSIM.

Just make sure your 3GS is unlocked ...very easy to do with the new jailbreak and ultrasn0w release.

Hope this has been helpful.
    That's it.

Oh - the correct link to the AT&T ipad site is http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/ipad.jsp
    Last edited by vish0402; 12-07-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Added AT&T link

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, formerly Bell Mobility (4 years), formerly Telus Mobility (Since '98, ended 2010) - 13 years
    Feedback Score

Are you in Vegas this weekend? I'll be there as well. Just loaded up my AT&T card for my BB. $2 a day for U/L nationwide text and chat. Can't beat it.

Looking to lay some cheddar on the UFC fights this weekend.

Device(s)
    Iphone 3gs
    Carrier(s)
    bell mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abbywack-a-mole View Post
    Are you in Vegas this weekend? I'll be there as well. Just loaded up my AT&T card for my BB. $2 a day for U/L nationwide text and chat. Can't beat it.

Looking to lay some cheddar on the UFC fights this weekend.

Nope, going there from December 18-21. That at&t talk and text won't work because I will be calling ld back home to Canada. I think I'm going with the ipad data plan. Thanks Vish. Lots of steps but doesn't seem that complicated.

Feedback Score
    AT&T has USA+Canada plans now but they only apply to monthly customers...