Thread: G2 vs. MYT4G Call quality

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

G2 vs. MYT4G Call quality

Well I just ordered my G2 on TMO and I am coming from an HD2 and making this my personal line in addition to work, how is reception and call quality vs. the HD2 on the new G2? Does Wifi calling eat minutes or cost extra and can it be used internationally like UMA?

One more thing, how are people's speed's vs. the MYT4G and WebRocket connect? Obviously it's going to be a bit slower than my rocket because it's only 14.4 but I have heard the G2 is poor at delivering HSPA+ speed's vs. the MYT4G?

In the last 2 weeks (Literally), T-Mobile has activated 5 new tower's in shockingly rural area's, increased backhaul and apparently capacity . I really painfully hate to say this, but quality wise they have far surpassed AT&T now. I assume they did all these upgrades to beat out AT&T for B'Ham.

Now honestly still for rural coverage, to be expected Verizon does perform better but in urban area's like Birmingham the call quality and speeds are unsurpassed.

In literally the same amount of time for T-Mobile to improve, AT&T has degraded. For instance yesterday on Black Friday my iFAIL was totally unusable where my webrocket kept working fine.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play with Mophie battery pack (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I can't speak for the quality between G2 and mytouch but Wifi calling does eat your minutes. If you have the old 9.99 Unlimited UMA calling, then only then will it be free.

And yes you can use it abroad.

I have the G2 and the call quality is great.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Both of them are pretty lackluster when it comes to reception. HTC has always been pretty lackluster when it comes to reception. The new Motorola DEFY is the phone to have if reception is your priority. It's not HSPA+ phone or a powerhouse, it's a mid-range phone with a PowerVR 530 and a 800MHz OMAP processor.

Secondly, the only speed they're capable of is 14.4MAX, unless you eclipse 10Mbps with a Rocket you shouldn't see much of a difference in speed.

WiFi calling behaves like UMA without the network handoff. International calls are free, deducted from your minute bucket

The problem with both the G2 and myTouch 4G is random drops in HSPA service (especially with the G2) that go from H to E to G or H to G to E. Lackluster reception, etc. YMMV but there are complaints. The new Defy like I mentioned held a really strong 3G signal but I'll be testing this phone out myself soon. No phone in Las Vegas has eclipsed the 7Mbps mark so I don't see the need for a HSPA+ compatible phone.

Oh and the speakerphone is lousy on both. Regular calls thru the ear piece should be fine
    Bye!

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    As a user of nexus one (MT4, G2, nexus one are manufactured by HTC), earpiece is OK, but microphone isn't great compared with XT720.
    Speakerphone and microphone on HTC phones are bad, so I moved nexus one to run webconnect.
    I'd choose MT4 over G2 because of price (MT4 is $50 cheaper without contract) and I don't really need physical keyboard.

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Is this plan, the 4G Web smartphone plan they put me on subject to the 5GB throttling cap? I got the phone today from the store instead of online and, I have been hitting anywhere from 4-9mbps

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Nexus One: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

Quote Originally Posted by locust43
    Is this plan, the 4G Web smartphone plan they put me on subject to the 5GB throttling cap? I got the phone today from the store instead of online and, I have been hitting anywhere from 4-9mbps
    Wow! It's good for you.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    speakerphone stinks on the MT4G....as for coverage, signal etc i havent had many issues with it, but i do notice in CERTAIN areas i see it change from E to H a lot in the same spot. in my house im on H all the time (Kies knows my area well actually), but overall i have been satisfied with it. the ringers sound cheap and speakerphone is absolutely pathetic on the MT4g, and when i played with a G2 in the store it was equally pathetic.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wirelessly posted (P990: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/22.414; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Quote Originally Posted by Kies
    Both of them are pretty lackluster when it comes to reception. HTC has always been pretty lackluster when it comes to reception. The new Motorola DEFY is the phone to have if reception is your priority. It's not HSPA+ phone or a powerhouse, it's a mid-range phone with a PowerVR 530 and a 800MHz OMAP processor.

Secondly, the only speed they're capable of is 14.4MAX, unless you eclipse 10Mbps with a Rocket you shouldn't see much of a difference in speed.

WiFi calling behaves like UMA without the network handoff. International calls are free, deducted from your minute bucket

The problem with both the G2 and myTouch 4G is random drops in HSPA service (especially with the G2) that go from H to E to G or H to G to E. Lackluster reception, etc. YMMV but there are complaints. The new Defy like I mentioned held a really strong 3G signal but I'll be testing this phone out myself soon. No phone in Las Vegas has eclipsed the 7Mbps mark so I don't see the need for a HSPA+ compatible phone.

Oh and the speakerphone is lousy on both. Regular calls thru the ear piece should be fine
    International calls are free...?