Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist phone is on a negative list?

Feedback Score

Exclamation Craigslist phone is on a negative list?

The guy I bought the iphone off of said it was also a bell phone and said it would work fine since I'm with them as well. Anyways, when I wen't in to get my service switched from my old one to the new one, the guy said its on the negative list, and explained it's because the previous owner has not paid their bill..

Bottom line was he said he cannot activate it for me, and said I have to wait until the previous owner pays his bill? Sounds like a croc, since what does that have to do with the new owner of the phone? And of course, the guy I purchased off of is nowhere to be found. I'm going to guess negative list = stolen.

My question is pretty much what can I do now? lol. Stuck with a paper-weight.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, if the phone is blacklisted, there isn't much you can do. RIM will not unblock the phone. I heard that if you have proof of purchase that you can get the phone unblocked, but I don't think it's something easy to do.

Report him to the police if you have any information like an email address, IP, phone number, address, or license plate.

For future transactions made online, it's always a good idea to meet with the person at a Bell store and pay for the phone as soon as it is activated and working on the network.

I hope this has helped you in some way. Good luck.
    iPhone 5:
    250 Anytime mins, Unlimited Text, Unlimited LD, CID, Vmail, Unlimited Evenings and Weekends after 6pm.
    6 GB Data. $64/month

Device(s)
    HTC
    Feedback Score
    Heard that there is an expiry period in the black list, maybe 6 months?

Device(s)
    Sidekick 4G
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Nope.

[The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.]

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    You lose.

Anyway you should try and track the guy down. I think he tried to **** you over with a phone he knew wouldn't work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP said iPhone -

What about just activating the SIM with a dummy IMEI number and doing it that way?

Device(s)
    Sidekick 4G
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Oh. If it's an iPhone, just activate it online using eCare with a dummy IMEI (111111111111119) and it'll work fine.

Device(s)
    HTC
    Feedback Score
    Guess that black list is pretty useless for non CDMA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MStar View Post
    Oh. If it's an iPhone, just activate it online using eCare with a dummy IMEI (111111111111119) and it'll work fine.
    Hmm you guys mind elaborating on this? Do I just make up a 'dummy' IMEI? Also, currently I dont have a SIM card if that makes any difference

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not sure where you are located, but in Ontario/Quebec at least, go to your local Loblaws/Superstore/Maxi and find the PC Mobile/Phone Shop stand... they usually have a rack of prepaid cards for different providers, you should be able to find a Bell SIM Card right near that rack (or on the other side of the display, depending on the store setup). The SIM card is $10. Wal-Mart also should sell them in their electronics department for $10 without activation.

If you can get a SIM Card from a Bell store or from The Source, it's $5, but most of those stores won't sell them unactivated.

Once you get your SIM Card, go to Bell.ca, log in to your account, and find the "Change my Phone" setting. Then you'll enter the SIM Card info, but when it asks for IMEI, instead of using your iPhone's IMEI, you will enter 111111111111119 (this is the code that should be used for Non-Bell phones, but it'll work with anything). Once the SIM Card is activated, put your SIM in your iPhone and it should work fine.

Feedback Score
    Oh, wow really? Hmm ok I will try this, cheers !

Feedback Score
    Wow. Thats insane, thanks so much, it worked! Now I just have to add on data

Feedback Score
    Can't believe this thread lol.

Who activates without a SIM card?

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wow my apologies.. I don't know why I assumed it was a BlackBerry that the OP was talking about. I guess that shows how obsessed with my BB i am

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillax View Post
    Wow my apologies.. I don't know why I assumed it was a BlackBerry that the OP was talking about. I guess that shows how obsessed with my BB i am

Noooo. Why would you say th-

Phones: BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Blackberry Tour 9630

oh.

Yah I sorta jumped off of yours so I thought it was a blackberry too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast