Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Official Samsung 3G Network Extender SCS-2U01

Feedback Score

Philadelphia GPS Signal required for NE as well!

I have been lurking on this (unregistered) for a while now... Great forum!

The NE requires a GOOD GPS signal in order to properly identify where you are... the femtocell uses GPS to identify your location for E911 calls.

[our company repairs these units...]

Keep the good info coming!

K

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djkib View Post
    I have been lurking on this (unregistered) for a while now... Great forum!

The NE requires a GOOD GPS signal in order to properly identify where you are... the femtocell uses GPS to identify your location for E911 calls.

[our company repairs these units...]

Keep the good info coming!

K
    Thanks for that info. I think most of us here knew that, but I have something additional on the GPS operation on the 3G NE...

I had the 1x NE and I upgraded to the 3G NE. One HUGE difference in operation that I noticed (other than the obvious inclusion of 3G) was the GPS operation is different. With the 1x NE, if I lost GPS (blinking Red light), I would also lose SYS and my NE would STOP WORKING until GPS and SYS were restored to Blue Lights.

With the new 3G NE, when my GPS light starts blinking Red (happens much more often than it did with the 1x NE) I STILL HAVE ALL FUNCTIONALITY, TO INCLUDE VOICE AND 3G DATA!

Now, this is what I call a HUGE improvement over the 1x version.

I can only assume that the algorithm has changed with the 3G model. I suspect first, that the GPS light blinks Red while updating itself (IOW, not when GPS is lost, necessarily, but when it is simply downloading data). Or, maybe, when it is "verifying" GPS location. Or maybe, the unit continues to work for a specific {long} timeframe while attempting to re-acquire the satellites. I don't know. But I do know that I maintain all functionality even when this is occurring. So... I DON'T CARE! LOL...

-Frank

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone tell me how long the cable is on the external GPS antenna. In other words, how far from the window can the actual unit be placed?
    DexterDogDesigns.com - websites with a heart.

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bh241 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how long the cable is on the external GPS antenna. In other words, how far from the window can the actual unit be placed?
    Cable is 23 feet. I have mine positioned 7 feet from a back window (Southern) and 30 feet from a front window (Northern) with no cable. It works like that, for me.

I'm in Denver, Colorado. My house has steel siding and inside it is generally very unfriendly to GPS signals as well as Cell signals.

-Frank

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Extender is down: My SYS Light is red this morning (rest are blue)

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tivobernd View Post
    Extender is down: My SYS Light is red this morning (rest are blue)
    Mine is up.

-Frank

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Mine's back up and running without my intervention...

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Anyone know a place to get an extra GPS cable so two of them could be daisy chained?

Thanks.

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ensignb View Post
    Anyone know a place to get an extra GPS cable so two of them could be daisy chained?

Thanks.
    This one {should} work: http://www.amazon.com/compatible-Ext.../dp/B000CNI6O2. It's 10 feet. You should call around making sure you are getting a low-loss LMR cable designed for the GPS frequencies and one that has matching "push-on" connectors (like the VZW NE).

However, due to potential serious issues with signal attenuation when you extend RF cables (running at ~1.5GHz in this case) you should consider "extending" your placement of the NE via a normal network Cat5 cable rather than extending the GPS antenna. IMHO.

-Frank

Feedback Score
    Verizon sent me the wrong one at first. I finally got the correct 3G version. Problem is that both always set all phones back 1 hour because it gets your location incorrect. On Google Latitude it always shows me like 25 miles SW of where I am and there's a time zone difference at that point. With it turned off my time is always correct. Verizon nor Samsung can't, or won't, do anything about this issue for some reason. So if it's 3:30pm local your phone always shows 2:30pm & I use the Droid X with a lot of calendar events that get messed up. You have to go in and manually set the time, if your phone allows it. Wish that was fixed.

Then, speeds are usually quite horrible. Considering I have a 10+Mbps cable broadband connection I barely get over 1Mbps on my cell. Why the 3G speed is so slow over this device I don't understand. When I'm away from my home in a better signal area I get double the speed with a weaker 3G signal.

Calls though are a lot better but people complain it sounds like your voice comes in waves. In reality, the thing's really only worth maybe $50 at the most. And, you're using YOUR bandwidth not Verizon's. And they brag they won't charge you any extra. They should discount your service since it's going through your wired broadband connection.

Summing it up, it's a nice looking device but I didn't get it for its looks and it sure didn't deliver on its promise of higher speeds or better call quality. But, no calls have been dropped.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My experience is different. I have no complaints about voice quality. Latency is no worse than it is on a standard mobile phone call.
    As for speed, you should expect no faster speed on your phone than you'd get over a normal cellular connection. 1Mbps on an EVDO based mobile device is quite good.

As for the GPS thing giving you the wrong time, not sure what to tell you there.

With respect to pricing, I agree with you there. They should cut you a break for the minutes you use on the device. It's not priced well, but it's a necessity for me in order to be able to use my phone at home. I need to be reachable. If I got to the point where I had to worry about minutes, I could always call the other person back on a landline, I suppose.

Feedback Score
    I am looking at one of these for a customer of mine. they need the coax for the external gps antenna to be about 50', will any mini-coax off the shelf work, would prefer not to use an extension, just an off the shelf longer cable?

They have a small office (3-5 people)in the back of their building that gets no signal.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Feedback Score
    Can anyone examine their unit and see if there is an HDMI port, or any other unused port on it? I haven't been able to find any unboxing photos.

If there is an HDMI port, could anyone interested check if the following cable instructions work?

http://rsaxvc.net/blog/2010/12/attac...scs-26uc4.html

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsaxvc View Post
    Can anyone examine their unit and see if there is an HDMI port, or any other unused port on it? I haven't been able to find any unboxing photos.
    No HDMI port. One single port only. Ethernet.

-Frank

Device(s)
    VX8100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I live in a place I get vzw signal but not enough to keep conversation. Figure I get this so i don't need to drill holes to put antenna system.

I was disappointed that non of my phone will get on the Network Extender, they just stay on the towers. Only time that they will go on the NE is when after call dropped completely or phone.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast