Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sasktel 3G signal is poor!

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Sasktel 3G signal is poor!

I find the Sasktel 3G signal in Saskatoon is not that great in houses/buildings, from just going from second floor to first, a significant drop of signal or no service can occur.I've been to Calgary and Edmonton I find there 3G signal works everywhere even underground parking at Chinook mall in Calgary, covered parking at West Edmonton mall....Unless you plan to be on the top floor or outside all the time you should be alright...Why don't Sasktel do it right the first time?
    Unltd. Voice & Text Plan in North America from Rogers/Fido Network $50.00

Feedback Score
    The last time I looked on their website they still had a few more towers to turn up in Regina and Saskatoon. Probably to increase signal levels and fill in the gaps. I expect your signal issues will be fixed by that..

From: http://www.sasktel.com/EndecaUI/cont...Ntt-3g-rollout

Saskatoon Blairmore - Oct. 2010
    Saskatoon Hampton Village - Dec. 2010
    Saskatoon Stonebridge - Oct. 2010

Regina Beach - Dec. 2010
    Regina Harbour Landing #1 - Dec. 2010
    Regina Harbour Landing #2 - Q3 2011
    Regina Intermodal - Q3 2011
    Regina Mount Royal (permanent) - Q3 2011
    Regina Mount Royal (temp) - Oct. 2010
    Regina Rochdale North - Q3 2011
    Regina Wascana Centre - Q1 2011

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Yes, patience. SaskTel has launched their HSPA network in a very incomplete state. Also, if your device supports HSPA 1900 but not 850, you will get inferior in-building coverage (and inferior rural coverage too, if you are a significant distance from towers).
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    According to there website the area should already have 3G coverage, like in the middle of downtown Saskatoon for one, and North West of Saskatoon, even the guys at Jump.ca at the Lawson Heights mall having problem activating my iPhone, the signal in there is very low. My iPhone is capable in receiving bands in 800, 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz so that's not the issue, it's the coverage.

Feedback Score
    Sasktel has stated numerous times in numerous places that initially coverage in buildings will be poor. If all goes according to schedule, it should be all up and running by end of year/early next year

Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sasktel
    Feedback Score
    By the time it's tweaked properly, it should be a stellar signal. I have been all smiles ever since I got my 3G device, I travel to remote areas that are covered by the CDMA network and in some fields, found that I had to stand in a spot "just right" to get a signal. Now, I get full bars and clear as day calls using my 3G device in the exact same areas.

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Yes, patience. SaskTel has launched their HSPA network in a very incomplete state. Also, if your device supports HSPA 1900 but not 850, you will get inferior in-building coverage (and inferior rural coverage too, if you are a significant distance from towers).
    Urban HSPA is only 1900, rural is only 850. Is there such thing as an only 1900 or only 850 device?

Device(s)
    Samsung T201G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sven_1669 View Post
    Urban HSPA is only 1900, rural is only 850. Is there such thing as an only 1900 or only 850 device?
    Some older GSM phones were 1900 only. Since we do not have HSPA in the States yet (I hear some large US cities will have it by December 31, 2010), I don't have knowledge of what devices are on that service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sven_1669 View Post
    That's an odd choice. I would think that Sasktel would choose the 850Mhz band for urban areas due to greater signal penetration. Perhaps they're relying on more towers to compensate?

I suppose with more towers you get more capacity and with 1900Mhz you can have more towers in a downtown area with less chance of overlap.

Maybe?

Riley

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Most of the phones that don't support both 850 and 1900 MHz 3G bands are intended for foreign markets - they are pretty uncommon here but I have a friend that has a phone that supports 850 but not 1900 on 3G. (It's quad-band on 2G, but that's not helpful with SaskTel.) His phone supports the 2100 MHz band used overseas, though.

On the other hand my Nokia E63 supports UMTS 850 and 1900 (not HSPA but it still works with SaskTel, maximum 384kbps data transfer though) and has no support at all for 2100 MHz 3G.

Feedback Score
    Hmmm iPhone eh... thats your problem. The iPhone has had quite bad service on many reviews. Oh, and make sure you aren't holding it wrong. (You did read about the antenna issue right?)

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenseeker View Post
    Hmmm iPhone eh... thats your problem. The iPhone has had quite bad service on many reviews. Oh, and make sure you aren't holding it wrong. (You did read about the antenna issue right?)
    The same unlocked iPhone works great on Fido/Rogers network, I don't think it's the antenna or holding it wrong problem.

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skud51 View Post
    That's an odd choice. I would think that Sasktel would choose the 850Mhz band for urban areas due to greater signal penetration. Perhaps they're relying on more towers to compensate?

I suppose with more towers you get more capacity and with 1900Mhz you can have more towers in a downtown area with less chance of overlap.

Maybe?

Riley
    Unfortunately, CDMA is already using up the 800Mhz. CDMA in Regina/Saskatoon is using up to six carriers. Rural areas may only use one or two carriers. As soon as more people get off CDMA, SaskTel can free up some of those carriers for use with HSPA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chadp View Post
    The same unlocked iPhone works great on Fido/Rogers network, I don't think it's the antenna or holding it wrong problem.
    Good to know. I know you mentioned that you were in AB on the Rogers network, but have you been in Stoon on the Rogers network? I wonder if its better there too? Got any friends with a Rogers sim card?

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenseeker View Post
    Good to know. I know you mentioned that you were in AB on the Rogers network, but have you been in Stoon on the Rogers network? I wonder if its better there too? Got any friends with a Rogers sim card?
    I'm using the same iPhone on Rogers/Fido and Sasktel network, I have both Sasktel and Rogers/Fido SIM card. I would swapped it back and forth to try out. Same location on Rogers/Fido would give me 2-4 bars at ground level, Sasktel would be from 1-2 bars but mostly no service inside the same building. Mind you Sasktel has great coverage province wide, only if you plan to be outside to use it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast