Thread: Is Coverage more important than price?

Feedback Score

Is Coverage more important than price?

Wind is already in Calgary and Edmonton. Mobilicity is coming.
    Both have pretty good rates compared to the Big Three.
    Both have a national focus so Alberta is just one piece of the puzzle.

When Shaw comes to market they will need to do something better than Wind/Mobilicity.

What is more important?
    1. Better rates?
    2. Bundling packages?
    3. Coverage?

For example, if Shaw was the same price or maybe a bit more expensive but the coverage was 50% better would you go with Shaw?

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Value is the most important.

Of course there are limits on the other factors, too low a coverage area means I would not even consider it, same goes for too high a price or a missing essential feature. But all in all, it's the value I get that is most important.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Value does not necessarily mean just low price (as many people think)

Value = Service / Price

The greater the service factor and the lower the price factor the greater the value factor.

Service = Coverage + Call Quality

If Shaw coverage is 50% greater than WIND but the Shaw price being 10% greater, the value Shaw factor is still greater than with WIND even though the price is higher.

The risk that I will be outside of the coverage zone (even if it is <5%) does scare a lot of people.
    An extra 10% might not be too much to pay if there is a clear benefit in the service level.

In my situation, I was paying $35 for the Ontario Unlimited plan at WIND. The WIND coverage zone is amazing from Grimsby to Markham! The whole Golden Horseshoe. Unfortunately call quality was a bit low.

When Mobilicity announced the $35 unlimited everything F&F plan I was willing to give up the coverage (which I do not use much) for the wireless data which I might use more often.

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by connexx View Post

Value = Service / Price
    That is exactly what I'm looking for, the best value (return) for my money. The lowest price is not always the best value.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    It depends on the person. Right now though, since Mobilicity has 20c/minute roaming, for the few instances that I go on a trip I don't mind paying it. At this point Mobilicity as an urban carrier has a better value than a land line, so even if they don't have coverage outside of the city it's still a good deal.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by connexx View Post

Value = Service / Price

The greater the service factor and the lower the price factor the greater the value factor.

Service = Coverage + Call Quality

If Shaw coverage is 50% greater than WIND but the Shaw price being 10% greater, the value Shaw factor is still greater than with WIND even though the price is higher.

The risk that I will be outside of the coverage zone (even if it is <5%) does scare a lot of people.
    An extra 10% might not be too much to pay if there is a clear benefit in the service level.

In my situation, I was paying $35 for the Ontario Unlimited plan at WIND. The WIND coverage zone is amazing from Grimsby to Markham! The whole Golden Horseshoe. Unfortunately call quality was a bit low.

When Mobilicity announced the $35 unlimited everything F&F plan I was willing to give up the coverage (which I do not use much) for the wireless data which I might use more often.
    Finally someone else who understands that you get what you pay for. Nothing is free and cheap(er) usually means of lesser value or the service is truncated.
    Knowledge is power.

Feedback Score
    To me coverage and rate plan is tops.

I know lots of other people who just solely care about the handset only, they want the flashiest phone and will jump ship to any company who has it the cheapest, even if it means their monthly rate plan will be higher, now thats a not so smart-savvy consumer. your gonna end up paying an extra 500 each year in monthly plan fees. trust me, it happened to a friend of mine who doesn't listen.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    In project management there are three objectives - GOOD, FAST, CHEAP
    but you can only work towards TWO of them.
    You can have it Good and Fast but it will not be cheap
    or you can have it Fast and Cheap but it will not be Good.

When building a network, there are also compromises. For example if you have resources for 100 sticks you can have it:
    WIDE = Bigger coverage area with some deadspots
    DENSE = Smaller coverage area but no deadspots
    CHEAP = Using funds available

In the case of a wireless telco start-up funds are limited and so CHEAP can't be taken out of the equation - that is one of the factors you must deal with. Considering this would you rather work towards:

WIDE / Large Converage area sacrificing some coverage/call quality (WIND Strategy)
    DENSE / Smaller coverage area but better coverage (Mobilicity Strategy)

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Well, I will just repeat what has been said before. I look for a balance between CHEAP and COVERAGE. For me - I stay in the city 95% of the time. So, bell telling me that "we got you covered in the north pole" makes no difference to me. In the city - I look for the coverage quality and price which goes with it.

Mobilicity has OK coverage (no coverage in malls and large buildings) - but call quality is excellent wherever I get a signal. So I am happy with the price I pay. Bell has excellent coverage - but the number of call drops / missed SMS / sloppy data makes it null and void and $100/month is NOT OK for the service I get.

It all boils down to value for money. (and of course my interactions with dealers and customer service people. Till now these have been excellent too - so most likely I will keep mobi. Also, I got my own unlocked handsets - NEVER was in a contract with anyone. So "good handsets" dont make a difference to me. I evalueate the SERVICE on its own merit and not the handset)