Thread: HTC Aria w/o Data Plan

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

HTC Aria w/o Data Plan

Ok, here goes,

I currently am available for an upgrade with AT&T, and want to get the Aria, but do not want the data plan, and just use wifi. My data is currently BLOCKED (no internet whatsoever, not even pay per use), and have recently used a blackberry for a couple of months without a data plan. Is there anyway that I could buy the Aria, put a data plan on it, then have them put a block on it a month later? Is there an android app to block all 3g/edge data? I still want to text and call and surf the web over wifi, but thats all I need.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Still trying to find the perfect one :)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Probably not. AT&T won't even let you use your own smartphone - if they recognize it - even when you purchase it for full price. So doubt they'd do that on a subsidized phone. Your best bet if you don't want to pay data is to buy a phone either unbranded or T-Mobile branded & then don't tell 'em what you got. Be careful though - some phones like Nexus One get recognized even if they aren't sold by AT&T. There is a thread on the main AT&T forum about which Android phones do not trigger a rate increase.

Something else to keep in mind - you'll save the data plan cost but pay more for the phone up front.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by conwellt View Post
    Ok, here goes,

I currently am available for an upgrade with AT&T, and want to get the Aria, but do not want the data plan, and just use wifi. My data is currently BLOCKED (no internet whatsoever, not even pay per use), and have recently used a blackberry for a couple of months without a data plan. Is there anyway that I could buy the Aria, put a data plan on it, then have them put a block on it a month later? Is there an android app to block all 3g/edge data? I still want to text and call and surf the web over wifi, but thats all I need.

Thanks!
    The minimum data plan required for a smartphone is the DataPlus (200 megabytes) for $15.00. Even if you use an application to block data, you will still be charged for a data plan.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Earl,
    Any idea why AT&T is letting me get the Aria without requiring any data plan?
    I am in the Alltel - AT&T switch.

Posted here but haven't gotten a response yet.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hread.../page8