Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats going on in the 49307 area code?

Feedback Score

Whats going on in the 49307 area code?

I am a long time Alltel customer living in the 49307 area code and work throughout Mecosta County, MI. I keep getting letters that Verizon has bought Alltel and that we will be switching over to Verizon. I have noticed a lower level of service including more dropped calls, less service area and missed calls not being recorded on my phone since this switch was started.

I also heard that Verizon has sold the Alltel towers in my area to AT&T and that is why my reception has gotten worse, because the Alltel towers were great in this area, but are now owned by AT&T so we are using Verizon's towers, but they aren't as good.

Does anyone know if Verizon will be upgrading service in this area? We haven't been switched, we are still Alltel.

My contract is up soon and I want to upgrade to a Web Phone and get an HTC Hero, but I am wondering if I should move to Sprint instead.

Device(s)
    Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin54 View Post
    I am a long time Alltel customer living in the 49307 area code and work throughout Mecosta County, MI. I keep getting letters that Verizon has bought Alltel and that we will be switching over to Verizon.
    This is true.

I have noticed a lower level of service including more dropped calls, less service area and missed calls not being recorded on my phone since this switch was started.
    Expect this to continue till the transition is complete.

I also heard that Verizon has sold the Alltel towers in my area to AT&T and that is why my reception has gotten worse, because the Alltel towers were great in this area, but are now owned by AT&T so we are using Verizon's towers, but they aren't as good.
    Verizon is keeping the Alltel towers, but they are selling the Verizon towers to At&t. Service is getting worse because VZW isn't handling the transition well. However, once everything is finalized service should return to normal but don't expect that to happen till sometime next year. I the meantime make sure your phone is updated with the latest PRL.

My contract is up soon and I want to upgrade to a Web Phone and get an HTC Hero, but I am wondering if I should move to Sprint instead.
    Check Sprints coverage map before you switch. It's a good option if they cover the areas you travel to.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also llive in 49307. There was a letter sent to us a little over a week ago which is also posted in My Account. It explains clearly that AT&T is taking over the Verizon customers and the Alltel customers are being transitioned eventually to Verizon. The letter did not say when the transition will happen.

As a clue to when the transition will happen, I think we need to watch the AT&T coverage map. Thus far, there is no mobile broadband coverage in our area from AT&T. All of the markets that AT&T is taking over in this deal are getting mobile broadband (HSPA) if Alltel or, in this case, Verizon had EVDO. I believe the agreement with the government stipulated that there would be no decrease in the level of service so mobile broadband has to be replaced with mobile broadband. So my theory is that when HSPA from AT&T shows up in our area, the transition won't be far behind. Again, this is a theory, but I think the evidence to support it is there.

I have not experienced a deterioration in the level of service so I cannot speak to that one.
    Last edited by music4praise; 10-17-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I know Verizon has not done a good job with Alltel in Traverse City which has already been integrated into Verizon for a while now and the service has degraded quite a bit.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I get to Antrim Co. quite often. Since I'm from a native VZW area (SID 21), I too have notice a severe decline in service in the Mancelona/Bellaire/East Jordan area over the last 18 months. It has always been hit-n-miss up there, but now, service is almost non-existent.

The entire group of people who frequent this area have complained and filed trouble tickets -- as per "Business as usual" nothing has happened. My contract comes up in late April -- I'm exploring my options as I write this.

Device(s)
    Casio Rock
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If Verizon upgrades the cell sites in Northern Michigan, I'll let you all know...
    Squires
    FCC Radio Operator, KK1G
    NARTE Telecommunications Technician, (NCT)
    Commercial Radiotelephone Operator w/ ship radar (FCC)
    GMDSS Radio Operator / Maintainer (FCC)
    Canadian Radio Operator, VE3UPK

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information. I'll do a PRL update and see if that makes any difference. I'll continue to explore Sprint also as their coverage in this area is good.

Feedback Score
    So, if I renew my contract for 2 yrs with Alltel and then am converted to Verizon, will I be given the option to get out of the contract with Verizon? Or will I be a hybrid Verizon/Alltel customer until the end of the 2 yr contract?

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    So, if I renew my contract for 2 yrs with Alltel and then am converted to Verizon, will I be given the option to get out of the contract with Verizon? Or will I be a hybrid Verizon/Alltel customer until the end of the 2 yr contract?
    If you renew with Alltel, you are soing to be stuck for 2 years, either way, you will have to fufill that 2 year contract. I would just wait until your area gets converted over to Verizon and see if the service gets better, or not.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I went through the conversion thing years ago with old AT&T to Cingular, just after I opted for a 2 year contract.

Long story very short -- Cingular wanted to KILL OFF all legacy AT&T contracts with their grandfathered perks and have you reopt on a 2 year Cingular agreement. In the mean time, I moved from Arizona to Michigan. Cingular would not even let me change phone numbers without converting to Cingular and a brand new 2 year contact.

I would hold off on anything until: 1) you see if you want to stay with Verizon and keep your legacy alltel plan for another 2 years or 2) continue to go month-to-month for now and make the choice of switching at a later time. If things get bad for you, being locked into another 2 year alltel (converting to Verizon) contract will only make things that much more painful.

Device(s)
    HTC Wildfire
    Carrier(s)
    alltel
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is taking over Alltel in Montana and they are letting you keep your Alltel plan until it expires, If you do not like AT&T they are giving you 30 days to opted out with no ETF. http://www.att.com/mergers/alltel/fr...-questions.jsp

Device(s)
    Casio Rock
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sprint will be putting a couple towers in the "Manton" & "Kaleva" Area so you can roam off Sprint towers once they get them constructed :-)

Device(s)
    Casio Rock
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    AT&T, Verizon look to mend dead spots in wireless phone signals by adding cell towers
    Published: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 5:20 AM
    Megan Hart | The Muskegon Chronicle Megan Hart | The Muskegon Chronicle
    Follow
    Share this story
    Story tools

WEST MICHIGAN -- AT&T and Verizon are investing in new cell towers to try to fill in dead spots along the lakeshore.

Since cell phones were invented, sand dunes have played havoc with reception, making it difficult to get service while on the beach or in shoreline areas.
    0Share
    0 Comments

AT&T spokeswoman Amy Grundman said the company is planning a new cell tower in the Norton Shores area, though the exact location was not being revealed.

"When activated, the site will enhance mobile broadband coverage for area residents and business, as well as along Lake Michigan," she said.

Verizon Wireless spokeswoman Michelle Gilbert said Verizon customers may see better coverage along Lake Michigan when Verizon takes over a former Alltel tower at 5447 Lake Harbor. Verizon has merged with Alltel.

In both cases, however, signals still may be patchy on the beaches.

"The challenge that all wireless carriers face along the shore is that there's very little opportunity to build along the shore," Gilbert said.

Gilbert said a cell phone needs to have a clear line to a cell tower, which is a challenge in the midst of sand dunes. She said topography, not distance, blocks cellular signals, so the nearest clear signal for someone standing on the beach in the Muskegon area sometimes comes from Wisconsin.

"When you're crossing the water, there's no more clear of a line," she said.

Beachgoers are familiar with the phenomenon. Their phones switch from Eastern Standard Time to Central Standard Time after connecting with towers across Lake Michigan.

Pat Whalen, unit supervisor at Grand Haven State Park, said some cell phone users can get coverage on that park's beach, but others can't. He said there are emergency phones on the beach and the south pier, and if a life ring is thrown it sends a signal to the county's 911 emergency dispatch, so cell phones aren't necessary.

Charles Ehrlich, unit manager for P.J. Hoffmaster State Park in Norton Shores, said cell phone coverage is uncertain in the park, but there are no other phones available for emergencies on the beach or trails.

"There's blank spots everywhere," he said. "You'd have to find a spot where your phone works."

Local cell phone sellers said they had not heard many complaints about not being able to use phones on the beaches. Janell Yonker, an employee at GH Wireless, 1906 Holton, said most people understand the difficulties of getting a signal around sand dunes.

Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer George Degener encouraged boaters to carry marine radios and not rely on their phones in case of emergency.

"You never know when a cell phone can drop service," he said.

E-mail Megan Hart: [email protected]

Device(s)
    Casio Rock
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I hope this isnt't all they do ! I'll post more info as it becomes available... :-) I'm sure they have to wait on AT&T on all this to convert the Alltel towers for Verizon's network.. . and well AT&T does move at the speed of snail..

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinsfan65 View Post
    AT&T is taking over Alltel in Montana and they are letting you keep your Alltel plan until it expires, If you do not like AT&T they are giving you 30 days to opted out with no ETF.
    This was not an option for me back in late 2004. Cingular/at&t received a lot of static over this one back them, this is why they are taking this position today.

Radio_Freq - both Sprint towers are well south of where I'm at in Antrim Co. Norton Shores, MI is even further south of the Sprint towers. It appears that VZW has changed the SID identifiers in their acquired areas, but they have not done their field testing of all the towers. When will this be done? It could be tomorrow, it could be years! I believe that the alltel network in N/W Michigan was far spottier than alltel disclosed to Verizon during the sales negotiations.

Prior to the closing with alltel, VZW was building out their PCS system up in that area and coverage was starting to get better, especially in Bellaire and Mancelona. Since the alltel deal closed and divestiture was ordered, all of those PCS towers went dark and coverage was only provided by the old alltel network. The true nature of the alltel network is showing and since more people have VZW now, the network is at or past capacity causing many of these issues.

That is the reason why my friends and I are exploring carrier changes. I will be the first to come off contract in April, 2011. Time to explore my options, even though I have been generally happy with Verizon over the past 4 1/2 years now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast