Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fully flash motorola droid x and get apps, mms, internet, talk, tex working

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you've made quite a bit of progress... good. This is a little late but... I used another method (similar to the one used by the Motorola Droid guide) to flash this phone before this guide was posted and never bothered with Diagnostic Mode for the flashing process. With the drivers installed, simply plugging in the phone in its normal on state causes Motorola USB Networking Driver to show up (i.e. can be seen in device manager). With this and a HW Virtual Serial Port setup, I was able to communicate with the phone through CDMA Workshop. The setup I used may be more difficult starting from scratch but easier if you've already done a Motorola Droid.

If you are getting the "welcome to verizon wireless over the air programming..." when you dial *228, you probably need to reload the MetroPCS PRL. You can do that through CDMA Workshop from the Other tab. Eventually you'll want to get the ESN added to test and use it.

You can edit the Verizon APN, or delete and create a new one, to match what is stated in the guide. I use the MetroPCS MSL for the password instead of metropcs though it may not matter.
    Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than trolls in the deep subforums.

Feedback Score
    added a lot of info to the last post, while you were posting so read it please. No idea what "PRL" and "MSL" are but hopefully I can google it when needed.

Yep, getting what you said over *228... off to find out wtf MetroPCS PRL is and how to reload it.

Feedback Score
    OK one FINAL question (I hope!) how exactly do I reload the PRL? On the Other tab there is a PRL section and the dropdown offers two things: Universal, and LG

edit: 2nd dropdown is NAM1 or NAM2, buttons are Read or Write... I'm a little scared to just start clicking random ***** here so thanks in advance.

edit2: OK I clicked Universal READ and it made a .prl file with executable file type garbage characters in it. My earlier efforts yielded no .prl files even though I did backup 5 minutes worth of NV items in a 250KB file.

edit3: found a ton of PRL files at this website There are 7 for EVDO phones on MetroPCS... any idea which 1 I should pick?

edit4: read in another post that the MOTO DROID uses the 002004 PRL so I'm going to try that I guess since we're using the Droid 1 tool from whiterabbit.org anyhow.

edit5: lol I got excited when I read this, but it didn't work. crashed the call immediately and said 'programming unsuccessful'
    whodat105

*22806 will get metro prl on any other phone just make sure spc is 000000 or it wont work.
    edit6: This post says I need to load a Cricket PRL... hmm. Confused but OK maybe I'll try that.

edit7: Decided to go with 02001.prl because it was claimed that if I had it and did *228 it would update to 02004.prl which is the best, but not available or easy to find on the Internet. Now when I dial *228 or *22899 I no longer get the recordings from Verizon, just auto-crash 'programming unsuccessful' like it does on *22806 still.... WHAT AM I DOING WRONG HERE?? This was done using Universal NAM1 Write and selecting 02001.prl which I got from the site with the 7 EVDO PRLs for Metro that I linked earlier. edit13: Didn't auto-update to 2004.prl as claimed after my *228 calls.

edit8: random side question... why are we not using "EVDO Workshop" ?? lol. It is strange that the options are only Universal and LG and the 2 options for Rebuild Eeprom/EFS are SAMSUNG..!

edit9: Thank God I backed up my .prl (if that even worked) because now I get a big 'no smoking' type sign where it usually has signal bars from Verizon. Maybe I just need to add my ESN to metro before the *228 will even work??

edit10: Called metro and gave the serial number that "adb devices" shows, but they said since it has letters in it that they can't do it over the phone. I need to take it to the corporate office (not the retards at my local metro pcs store thank God!) and she said there is a $10 flashing fee for non-metro phones... lol. So, perhaps I spent 12+ hours on this today for nothing and they would have flashed it all for $10...

edit11: While viewing phone Status to write down the MEID, I noticed that it said Service Active on Unknown Network and suddenly I have 2 bars of signal!
    I called *228 and it said this phone is already active on another account and it transferred me to another rep. He says that they will !?CHANGE THE SERIAL NUMBER?! of this phone to match their number-only system because it doesn't support serial #s with letter... hmm. Is that true can the serial number actually be changed? Strange indeed. Test-calls to voicemail and another number said "DFW zero two, your call cannot be completed as dialed" and a call to *22899 got a recording of "not supported on this phone". *22806 still crashes 'unsuccessful programming'

edit12: Found the "serial number" they were asking for! Its actually called DEC and you can view it by typing *#06# into the dialer. However when I called they said they can't do it over the phone because to add it to their inventory I have to bring it to the corporate office... Total BS, but OK fine lol. Will update this tomorrow after driving out there and paying $10.
    Last edited by Joe7dust; 10-28-2010 at 05:28 AM.

Feedback Score
    does this step by step guide work on the droid x because i am rooted with no web/mms . please let me know if you can help me out i have tried everything and no luck . you can send me a message or Anything else . thank you so much :/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe7dust View Post
    OK one FINAL question (I hope!) how exactly do I reload the PRL? On the Other tab there is a PRL section and the dropdown offers two things: Universal, and LG
    Use PRL 2004 from http://www.corolada.com/prl/. With CDMA Workshop use the Universal option to write the PRL. Also, change your Home SID to 6503. If you got the MSL from whiterabbitorg's page, it will also list the MEID Dec (this is, as you already figured out, what a MetroPCS rep needs to put the phone on your line). FYI, this phone is NOT officially supported by MetroPCS's flashing program so not every dealer will be able to add the MEID into the MetroPCS database. CS reps will not activate the phone until the MEID is added. You will need to either find a local store that can (use the store locater on Metro's website, Corporate store don't do it) or look into this thread: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ashed-by-a-Pro

Feedback Score
    The reps lied to me on the phone. I suspected as much, but the corporate store hides its phone number very well and I could not verify before driving 30 minutes out there.

They told me I had an 'illegally flashed phone' and that they would or could not add it to their database. Why the **** is so much left out of this "guide", it almost feels like I've been scammed into hiring a "Pro" from this site to help me finish it off.

What you are suggesting makes no sense to me. Multiple reps have told me that regular metropcs stores do NOT flash phones ... at all. You're saying the corporate stores won't flash my because its not officially supported, and they are telling me that they won't flash it because it is illegal.

Are you saying that I need to call every non-corporate store in my area to find the odd shop that may or may not have flashing ability and be willing to break the corporate rules for me?

I have a hunch that if I deactivate my current service completely, and call *228 from my Droid X I will be able to activate it with the automated system, possibly only after editing the DEC so that metro thinks its my old Kyocera Domino. I say this because the recording says "this phone is already activated with another account" or similar. I tried to verify this message, but there is a temporary outage it seems the recording said 'at the moment we're having issues, call back later"

MetroPCS is making a HUGE mistake with these Draconian policies. The main appeal of their service was the lack of contracts and cheap rates, but they are trying to make money off of supposedly nice and expensive phone sales. Trouble is the "nicer" phones they sell are total crap. I tested the new Samsung Craft "4g" for a week and it is the crappiest $300 phone on the market I am willing to bet. Obviously the execs think that by limiting the phones that can be allowed into their system they will force people to buy their overpriced P.O.S. phones, but this isn't going to work.

If the call quality wasn't such a joke, I could see them being successful with this move. However, with Verizon having such nicer service quality.. when you couple that with this MAJOR pain in the a$$ to get a decent phone on their network it is almost a no brainer. I should just pony up the $100 a month and revert...

Feedback Score
    MetroPCS Corporate stores ONLY flash phones on the list: http://helpdesk.houdinisoft.com/approved_handsets.pdf. Yes, the policy sucks for both customers and dealers alike. Their policy is a lot more headaches and a lot more paperwork. I wish their policy was like PagePlus's BYOD policy or even Cricket's: a whole lot easier for everyone involved.

To find a dealer that supports flashing in your area, check the Unlock Phone with MetroFLASH checkbox in the search filters of the Store Locater. Clicking the Details link under each store brings up their phone number and hours. Only some of them can and will flash non-approved phones. The automated system cannot add MEID/ESNs to the database.

Any discussion on modifying ESN/MEID is strictly prohibited on this forum and will get you banned.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenmojo View Post

Any discussion on modifying ESN/MEID is strictly prohibited on this forum and will get you banned.
    Really? Wow that is a huge surprise. I thought this forum was the exact opposite of this in their policies. I remember getting my iphone 3G jailbroken and hacked on here and thinking this place was alright. Is there another forum where its OK? I know one of the droid forums I use seems to have some pretty borderline stuff, maybe I should try there.

edit: I read in another thread that changing the PRL can have a hugely adverse effect on battery life. Looks like this happened to me with the 2001 PRL. I used to lose maybe 10% overnight but last night I lost 30-40% battery life... I guess I can just toggle the 3G when I go to sleep to fix this? Or disable it period... not like I'm using 3G yet. lol

edit2: My battery usage is usually 80% display and rest negligible. Now its 23% display, with 22% cell standby, 18% phone idle... Hopefully after I update to 2004.PRL I won't have this issue?!
    Last edited by Joe7dust; 10-30-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Feedback Score
    Hi everyone I have followed this instructions to a T 6 times over and so far I have Phone, Text, Browser, GPS in Google Maps working. But for some reason I cannot get apps like Pandora, Facebook, or Vlingo etc etc to communicate with internet nor can I get Market to communicate with the internet (except over WiFi). I am using Droid X with 2.2 update, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tampaboy1984 View Post
    Hi everyone I have followed this instructions to a T 6 times over and so far I have Phone, Text, Browser, GPS in Google Maps working. But for some reason I cannot get apps like Pandora, Facebook, or Vlingo etc etc to communicate with internet nor can I get Market to communicate with the internet (except over WiFi). I am using Droid X with 2.2 update, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    How did you get the MEID/DEC added to database? If that's not what you did, PM me please!

Feedback Score
    I have a connection. ; )

Feedback Score
    @drunkenmojo Did you get my PM?

@tampaboy1984 I'll paypal him and/or you to add mine also, send me a PM.

Feedback Score
    hey i've heard that metro changed there wap and mms password so the previous one "metropcs" doesnt work, instead its the msl code thats on whiterabbit.org. I could get the code but i cant connect it to qpst on HW virtual serial port because I ipconfig iit on command prompt and it doesnt show the network address EX.192.168.16.1. does any body have any ideal to make it connect to hw serial port so i can write the msl code into the phone using qpst. because that worked for my droid 1 but not droid x

Feedback Score
    it wont work if you just put the msl code in apn config on password section because it has to be written to the phone.

I've gotten this guide on this site thanks to Haxican for the solution for my droid 1 but i need it for droid x.

I got my Instinct up and running by doing this:

*You are basically changing the password from "metropcs" to a new MSL number calculated from whiterabbit.org.*

1st - Get your ESN/MEID by inputting ##3282# on your phone and going to the advance tab and viewing the ESN/MEID.

2nd - Go to whiterabbit.org/android/ and enter your ESN/MEID into the input box in the middle of the page.

3rd - Get your MSL Number...it's six numbers (this is your new password)

4th - Get into your phones programming with QPST and in the PPP Config tab go to the UM and AN sections and put your new password (MSL Code) and write to phone.

5th - Once the phone has restarted go back into your phone by dialing ##3282# and go into Username > Edit > Enter your MSL which should be 000000 since it's flashed > then change the AAA and HA passwords to your new MSL password created on the whiterabbit.org website. Once your phone has been restarted you should be able to have web capabilities once again.

If you are teethering, change the password in your dial up box to the new MSL code as well.

Happy Surfing and hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    tampaboy how did you get your browser working without writing the msl code onto the phone...can you please tell me what you did. i have a rooted 2.2 froyo droid x. or is it because the froyo dont support ip tables?

or the kernal?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast