Thread: FLEAS Are Getting on My Last Nerve!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

FLEAS Are Getting on My Last Nerve!

I have a cat that NEVER goes out but has still managed to get fleas. I've went to the vet and bought 2 frontline, 2 capstars, 1 revolution, 1 flea bomb.

And I've used all this over the past month or so, and of course bathed him with flea shampoo, dawn dish washing liquid (suggested by the vet). And he still has them..

We vacuum constantly but just cant seem to get rid of these damn things..

I'm at the end of the rope with this and suggestions would be VERY much appreciated!!!

Carrier(s)
    Telus Pay & Talk
    Feedback Score
    I am not familiar with frontline, capstar, or flea bombs. I have never tried them. When one of my previous dogs had fleas, I tried the collars, powder, sprays, etc. Total waste of money. What has been working well for the past 15 years is the revolution flea, ticks, and heartworm topical solution obtained from the vet. A little expensive, but does the job.

Keep in mind, it will take a little time to completely break the flea growth cycle (eggs->larvae->pupa->adult flea). The life cycle can last from 20 days to a year. If you live in a northern area, winter weather will slow flea growth.

Carrier(s)
    Telus Pay & Talk
    Feedback Score
    P.S.

I have also used Advantage purchased from the Vet. It also works, but does not include the heart worm.

Revolution with heartworm is not recommended to be applied before July, which leaves prior month unprotected against fleas. This is due to the heartworm portion of the product. Advantage can be applied anytime, since it does not include heartworm protection.

You should consult with your Vet what is best for your case. I am thinking Advantage or a similar product, since during the pre-July warm temperature period, fleas may have the opportunity to re-infest. Once you are rid of the fleas, revolution would be OK since the risks of pre-July re-infestation would be less.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the tips... i'm going to continue this War, atleast that's what it feels like

Feedback Score
    You know what, salt is actually a good anti-flea remedy. It kills off the flea eggs. Just sprinkle some on kitty's fur and if you're worried, sprinkle some on the carpet and the furniture too.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    well, it looks like the Revolution seemed to work.. I haven't seen fleas in weeks

Feedback Score
    Have you tried using ivermectin injectables. The dosage is depends on the weight of your cat. Ask you vet for assistance. ....It's good revolution worked but there is a tendency of getting back according to my sister who is a vet.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo503 View Post
    Have you tried using ivermectin injectables. The dosage is depends on the weight of your cat. Ask you vet for assistance. ....It's good revolution worked but there is a tendency of getting back according to my sister who is a vet.

I'll look into that.. Thanks for the tip.

Feedback Score
    use frontline or Bravecto very effective

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elijahblake View Post
    well, it looks like the Revolution seemed to work.. I haven't seen fleas in weeks
    No cat here, but have and have had dogs for decades. Looks like you learned what another has already suggested and what I was going to suggest.

If you are just starting with the flea preventative such as Frontline or similar, you have to give it time.

We've used various brands and types over the years as something new comes on the market and our vet changes what he recommends. They all work (unless the fleas in your locale develop immunity) and its more a matter of which is more convenient (or lower cost). We started with Frontline--very long time ago--I believe. Now we are using Bravecto. But again, with dogs. Main point: Don't expect overnight results. Stick with it.
    - Ira

Feedback Score
    Years ago we took in a stray kitty and he brought in some fleas.
    I'm chemical sensitive so using sprays isn't a good option.
    I've heard people say that they have used Dawn dish liquid to wash the animals but I get a severe rash from Dawn so that won't work either for me to de-flea a Cat and the house.
    I washed the Cat with Dr Bronners Castile soap a few times and the fleas were no longer infesting the Cat.

What did work on the fleas in the house was salt, just plain table salt.
    I bought several boxes of store brand salt and covered the carpet with it.
    Fairly heavy salting.
    I left it on the carpet for about a week or so and then vacuumed it up and no more fleas and a happy Cat and a happy me.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    P.S.

I have also used Advantage purchased from the Vet. It also works, but does not include the heart worm.

Revolution with heartworm is not recommended to be applied before July, which leaves prior month unprotected against fleas. This is due to the heartworm portion of the product. Advantage can be applied anytime, since it does not include heartworm protection.

You should consult with your Vet what is best for your case. I am thinking Advantage or a similar product, since during the pre-July warm temperature period, fleas may have the opportunity to re-infest. Once you are rid of the fleas, revolution would be OK since the risks of pre-July re-infestation would be less.
    The recommended months of usage owes to the local seasonal weather and the months of mosquito activity. In the southern USA heartworm is a year round possibility and year round use of heartworm preventative would be recommended.

Concur with consulting vet. The vet can also help with troubleshooting if your anti-flea methods aren't working.

Quote Originally Posted by mateo503 View Post
    For info, ivermectin is for heart worm prevention in veterinary use and also controls certain intestinal parasites. A vet may also prescribe it in the treatment of demodectic mange. It is not effective for flea and tick control. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin

Repeating advice regarding consulting vet. Aside from the prescription, the vet can help consider all factors in the particular situation and come to the best recommendation for a solution.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, verizon
    Feedback Score
    Holy thread Resurrection Batman

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. Oh well. As there are few new questions, maybe this will help someone.
    Last edited by aiharkness; 02-26-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Feedback Score
    All my cats except one -a feral that we spayed- are total indoor so no problems till the feral got friendlier & came in & out. Bought Bayer Seresto collars for all & problem solved. Seem pricey but not really as they last 8 months.