Device(s)
    W595, XPERIA Arc
    Carrier(s)
    STC
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

13.2 megapixels Lumix phone to be announced on October

13.2 megapixels Lumix phone to be announced on October 5th. And It is expected to be released by April 2011.

Most of tech news websites already posted this.

http://www.gsmarena.com/panasonic_te...-news-1967.php
    http://gizmodo.com/5652849/is-panaso...ix-cameraphone
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/01/p...r-5-unveiling/

What so special about this since and why are they making hype over it since there are other 13.2 mpx phones already available in Japan? Isn't it strange?

I know Lumix cameras have good reputation, but I am just wondering why they are making hype over this one specifically. It is not like them. Anyway, I am trying not to have any wild dreams.

Device(s)
    Porsche Design P'9981 by BlackBerry
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's so annoying how every freaking person on the comments go "Android this, Android that".

Those guys never realize that there's a world outside of Android...
    Current Phone: Porsche Design P9981 by BlackBerry + BlackBerry PlayBook

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Android fanboys always bash Apple fanboys about how they'll only use an iPhone, but Android fanboys have their head stuck just as far up their *** as iphone fanboys do.
    What a long emoticon...

Device(s)
    W595, XPERIA Arc
    Carrier(s)
    STC
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Those guys never realize that there's a world outside of Android...
    Yes, I know it is extremely annoying and that's why I hate the current market situation. Give me a nice camera, design and hardware any day.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    if it has a any keypad, i wish panasonic would improve that...out of nec, fujitsu, sharp, toshiba, they have gotten the stiffest keys...

Device(s)
    W595, XPERIA Arc
    Carrier(s)
    STC
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Judging from its display size, weight and measurements, the phone is definitely a flip phone. This also indicates that its is going to be only for Japan.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but isn't this the first Panasonic phone with a 3.3" display? Do you guys expect it to come with a different hinge instead of the usual one?

Device(s)
    NTT DoCoMo SH-03A, F-01B, F-04B, F-06B, SH-12C
    Carrier(s)
    M1
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    P-04B is 3.3inches. Lol! I'm thinking a dual-axis flip rather than Panasonic signature W-hinge just cause its much easier to take picture with

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    w hinge isnt the b est taking pictures horizontally, I tried, it was better to take pictures upright instead

Device(s)
    NTT docomo CA-01C by Casio
    Carrier(s)
    Singtel (Singapore)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CELL-P View Post
    13.2 megapixels Lumix phone to be announced on October 5th. And It is expected to be released by April 2011.

Most of tech news websites already posted this.

What so special about this since and why are they making hype over it since there are other 13.2 mpx phones already available in Japan? Isn't it strange?

I know Lumix cameras have good reputation, but I am just wondering why they are making hype over this one specifically. It is not like them. Anyway, I am trying not to have any wild dreams.
    There's nothing special or weird about the above reported english articles, the only reason this particular piece of product announcement from Panasonic Mobile Communications (PMC Japan) was reported on several english tech websites, was because CEATEC Japan 2010 event is just around the corner coming up next week so usually tech websites will do some pre-coverage of some innovative/interesting products from domestic manufacturers. It's the same thing actually 2 yrs ago, with Fujitsu's F-04B prototype mock-up making the rounds in several english tech websites. You can go google and search for yourself about CEATEC Japan 2008 articles, there's nothing weird abt it srsly even though Panasonic's LUMIX-branded handset will also be considered a domestic japanese-only release.

Apparently from what I have sniffed out from the japanese related articles, Panasonic is really bend on making this LUMIX handset a camera-dedicated phone, marketing with terms such as Mobile VenusEngine(TM) and Picture Jump(TM) technology. And it's not really hard to imagine that, because from P-01B/P-04B releases onwards, camera-startup and auto-focus/shutter lag has been improved tremendously with AF only taking up to 2secs, saving pictures up to 3-4 secs in full resolution. (I have personally did a non-scientific test between my P-01B and my friend's SH-01B handset before, results show that both handsets saves pictures at ard the same timing, but the P-01B was able to lock an auto-focus during most scenarios (during daytime or under low-light conditions) much better than SH-01B. (*in SH-06A/SH-01B instances under most low-light conditions while trying to keep auto-focus locked on the subject, it tends to turn red instead of green resulting in unable to get AF lock successfully. I'm sure some of you who own the SH-06A/SH-01B models in this thread prob knows what I'm talking abt)

I have actually done a translated write-up for this Panasonic announcement earlier today, there may be some additional details inside that you guys may be interested to know so just head over to HardwareZone forums to take a look. Pictures of the mock-ups and more spec details will probably follow-up come Oct 5th I believe.

Cheers.

♥♥♥♥♥【僕の愛用ガジェット紹介】♥♥♥♥♥
    ★使用中の携帯電話: NTT docomo CA-01C by Casio
    ★使用中のMP3プレーヤー: Sony NW-Z1070/R 64GB + ATH-CK100PRO
    ★使用中のデジタル一眼カメラ: Sony α NEX-5
    ★使用中のノートパソコン: Sony VAIO type P VGN-P90NS Crystal White

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    with the af on the sharps not locking in, I noticed that turning off face focus for the most part improves focus, though its rather annoying everytime I use the camera, I have to manually turn off face focus just to get decent focus from longer distances

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Singtel (Singapore)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CELL-P View Post
    Judging from its display size, weight and measurements, the phone is definitely a flip phone. This also indicates that its is going to be only for Japan.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but isn't this the first Panasonic phone with a 3.3" display? Do you guys expect it to come with a different hinge instead of the usual one?
    Yes, it's most likely a flip clamshell. Since PMC Japan is making this product announcement announcing it as their flagship camera-phone, I doubt a LUMIX-branded keitai will be a slider or anytime, it's not their forte or best-selling form-factor anyway, most of their phones that sold well and popular with the consumer audience were with the W-OPENING clamshell models actually in terms of domestic sales.

And no, since NTT Docomo P-01B/Softbank 941P onwards, their display screen sizes has always been at 3.3-inches.

Quote Originally Posted by aw614 View Post
    w hinge isnt the b est taking pictures horizontally, I tried, it was better to take pictures upright instead
    Hmm awong, I don't really concur with that. You're basing off your memory from yr P905i usage right? If I recalled correctly from one of my local outings earlier this yr, someone who came by with a red P905i which I had the chance to play with, I will admit that the ergonomics is very poor when flipped open in horizontal style. However this doesn't seem to be the case with P-01B/P-04B/941P models anymore, since their ergonomics were changed in the sense that you can hold the left side much more easily now. (the W-OPENING hinge mechanism is now merged down and more flattened out, with the display screen alignment even-out mimicking a normal PC laptop look)

As for the keypads style, I thought I already feedbacked before at the P-01B user thread back on HWZ to you that the P-01B keypads were pretty soft to press and embossed feel, not flattened out at all. Not too sure with the P-04B release though, but the keypads seemed to be in similar style to me with no hardware changes. (even the directional pad design style is the same as P-01B)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Singtel (Singapore)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by aw614 View Post
    with the af on the sharps not locking in, I noticed that turning off face focus for the most part improves focus, though its rather annoying everytime I use the camera, I have to manually turn off face focus just to get decent focus from longer distances
    I haven't been able to use my SH-06A's camera extensively because it's with my sis in Aust now, but from the back of my memory whenever I tried taking pictures with it I rem always switching to center-AF as default first instead of having face-AF as priority. (cos I seldom take self-portraits) Even under that condition, under most low-light scenarios sometimes it tends to be hard to get an AF lock successfully (need to press the dial key continuously to get a re-lock), but like what some others has shared before on the Mobile01 TW forum, by merely switching to MF it totally fixes the low-light scenario issue. (you just need to get roughly correct the optimal gauge distance btw you and the subject, if not the pictures may be blurred and not in-focus)

I did tried and play with my friend's SH-01B on several occasions, mostly during in the evenings/at night since that's the only time I mostly meet him. It's actually abt the same thing with SH-01B 90% of the time, only by switching to manual-focus then it's completely resolved. So I think in terms of AF mechanism, I think Sharp may have to put in more effort on this, cos compared to manufacturers like NEC or Panasonic, it's indeed true that their AF lock speed and shutter lag is now more efficient compared to Sharp/Fujitsu models under most lighting conditions (from my personal tests so far).

Cheers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I haven gotten the chance to mess with manual focus on sh-06a, usually been able to get decent shots on af, but the slow focus does hurt, but yeah you are right about the af speed compared to nec (I havent used a newer panasonic than a p906i and that is just a slight p905i upgrade) and the af speed is very 903sh like in low light. But on all the docomos I just dont like the default face focus first over center, the only one that saved the focus settings was the so905ics where I was able to turn off face focus and also turn off multipoint af and just use center for quicker focus.

Yeah on the pansonic keypads, it was experience from the p905i and the p906i I still have, keypad is well spaced, but I just feel slower typing on it, The newer W hinge does look nice and looks like a DS, and they have a physical shutter key with half press like on the panasonic you have?

Device(s)
    W595, XPERIA Arc
    Carrier(s)
    STC
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Practicality aside, I am not really a fan of the looks of those horizontal W-hinges in general. I prefer the looks of dual-axis hinges.

Also, I though the latest Panasonic phones had 3.2". Even though the difference isn't very significant, I like it when they say 3.3" lol. My perfect range is 3.3-3.7". I mean 3.3" is 100% satisfactory. There is still enough space to throw in a slightly larger display without any considerable changes in the width and the height.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Singtel (Singapore)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...57&postcount=2

Updated more details of the LUMIX keitai in the above-mentioned thread. Feel free to discuss there or in this thread. Personally I'm not really disappointed by the form-factor, the back/camera portion looks pretty nice to me, reminds me alot of the brushed-metallic feel of camera modules on au KDDI SH003 models, but I was sorta expecting a W-OPENING hinge or dual-axis hinge clamshell actually, did not really expect it to be a slider release from Panasonic.

I do like how Panasonic has increase the ergonomics/size of the camera shutter button, it seems to be alot improved over previous VIERA keitais in my opinion. But in terms of ergonomics and design/feel IMO I felt the ones found on 910SH/SH-06A/SO905ics are done the best. Awong owns the latter 2 models so he prob understands what im saying here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast