Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Android phone that doesn't trigger rate increase on AT&T?

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Android phone that doesn't trigger rate increase on AT&T?

I've still got 11 months or so left on my 2 year family plan with AT&T, but I'd like to buy an android phone now and sell my existing Samsung Impression. What is the cheapest Android phone that will not switch me to the smart phone data plan? I'm currently on the $15 unlimited dumb phone plan. The G1 looks cheap, but will an unlocked one trigger the plan change with AT&T? Is there anything else I should be looking into?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II i9100
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I dont know about it being cheap but the european galaxy s works well with 3g and the unlimited medianet plan.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If it is a handset that is currently or previously carried by At&t, the required data feature will be added. Unlocked phones (using the previous criteria) are not exempt.

Bottom line, it has to be an unbranded/unlocked phone to prevent the data feature from being added to the account.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Be advised that the unlimited data plans for smartphones ($30.00) are no longer available for new customers. There are now two limited data plans for smartphones. They are DataPlus 200 Megabytes ($15.00) and DataPro 2 gigabytes ($25.00). If you had a previous smartphone with the unlimited data plan, you can retain the appropriate unlimited data plan if you purchase or start using another smartphone.
    Last edited by efparri; 10-01-2010 at 08:28 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Be advised that the unlimited data plans for smartphones ($30.00) are no longer avaialable for new customers. There are now two limited data plans for smartphones. They are DataPlus 200 Megabytes ($15.00) and DataPro 2 gigabytes ($25.00). If you had a previous smartphone with the unlimited data plan, you can retain the appropriate unlimited data plan if you purchase or start using another smartphone.
    He doesn't want ANY smartphone plan. He wants to be able to keep his $15 unlimited data plan for non-smartphones.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Goelz83 View Post
    He doesn't want ANY smartphone plan. He wants to be able to keep his $15 unlimited data plan for non-smartphones.
    Yes, I want to retain $15 unlimited internet for non-smartphones, but with a smartphone. So using a G1 or other T-mobile unlocked phone is out of the question? What about a Canadian unlocked phone?

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    A co-worker bought a Palm Treo Pro about 6 moths ago and had the $15 unlimited plan. AT&T never carried this model. They have now switched her over to a Smartphone data plan after she received a text message saying she was uusing a smartphone that had to have the appropriate plan.

Seems like they're now catching other phones as well.
    Follow me on Twitter

Cool Smartphone User Guy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by superorb View Post
    Yes, I want to retain $15 unlimited internet for non-smartphones, but with a smartphone. So using a G1 or other T-mobile unlocked phone is out of the question? What about a Canadian unlocked phone?
    The problem w/ the G1 and other unlocked T-Mobile phones is that they use different bands for 3G (1700/2100 whereas AT&T uses 850/1900) so you will only be able to get EDGE service on the phones.

If you can find an unlocked phone that supports AT&T's 3G frequencies (other than the Nexus One or iPhone), you should be able to get away without being forced to switch your data plan.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Well this stinks. I use internet radio now and I already use over 200m a month of data, and I'd like to avoid paying an extra $10 a month over the cost of a new phone. Is there anywhere I can go that would list some non-USA Android phones? I'm assuming most non-USA areas all use GSM at this point.

Device(s)
    Lg vx4400, vx6000
    Feedback Score
    This question has been ask and answered many times. You can use android phones that att doesn't carry with the medianet plan..... until they sweep you and send you a text that you need a regular data plan. You take your chances with any android phone you get.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by superorb View Post
    i think there was someone using a canadian htc desire without issue.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    A co-worker bought a Palm Treo Pro about 6 moths ago and had the $15 unlimited plan. AT&T never carried this model. They have now switched her over to a Smartphone data plan after she received a text message saying she was uusing a smartphone that had to have the appropriate plan.

Seems like they're now catching other phones as well.
    I suspect that since At&t also sells/sold various Palm devices, the IMEI # sequence that identifies the manufacturer and model # kicked in.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lusec View Post
    This question has been ask and answered many times. You can use android phones that att doesn't carry with the medianet plan..... until they sweep you and send you a text that you need a regular data plan. You take your chances with any android phone you get.
    Alright, I guess I'll wait until our family plan is up next August. We're moving and will need a new provider anyways so we'll get new/free phones then. Thanks for the help guys.

Device(s)
    Xperia X10a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You can also use the HTC Magic phones. I had a myTouch 3G on my account for well over a year and it never triggered the data changes. You can get an AT&T 3G compatible Magic from Rogers.

Device(s)
    HTC Vivid with ICS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had my Telus Htc Desire on AT&T for over a month and a half now and still use my $15.00 Data plan that I have used for five years now and have not even been bothered by AT&T. The phone is originally a Canadian Telus Desire that I purchased from a Canadian seller on E-bay, it came unlocked and when I got it I flashed it with a Stock Htc RUU of Froyo and have been going strong ever since.

These Desires have gotten very hard to find because Telus has been out of stock for about three weeks now, everytime they get a shipment in they are gone within hours. There are two dealers on E-bay that have a few but the price is not cheap!!! Mine cost me $664.99 with shipping but to me it is well worth the price just to not have to own AT&T crap phones!!!! Plus the Desire is a top of the line Android phone, this phone is very solid and not made like a Fisher Price toy like most of AT&T phones!!!

As for that bunk about reading the IMEI well all I can say is BS, that is nothing but a story someone started without proof, I have even provided AT&T the IMEI of my Desire and was told that they do not know what phone it is and I really think that they are to STUPID to lie about it!!!!!!
    The only reason they got the Nexus is because they were provided the IMEI of all AT&T Nexus ones by Google, I was told this by Google tec. support when I had my Nexus one!!!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast