Thread: Sony Xperia X10 2.1 update delayed again!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin
    Feedback Score

Sony Xperia X10 2.1 update delayed again!

Uh-oh, this is going to get ugly. We don’t like to be the bearer of bad news but Sony Ericsson’s Rikard Skogberg has confirmed over on the SE Product Blog that the planned Android 2.1 (Éclair) update for the Xperia X10 family has been delayed until the end of October.

Just yesterday, Sony Ericsson UK was tweeting that the update was still scheduled for the end of this month, so this delay is somewhat surprising. Rikard said that the team “need a couple of more weeks before we are ready to start the roll-out”.
    The rollout will not be a simultaneous global launch. Instead it will be phased with different “kits” (software configurations) launching at various times to comply with various legal and operator requirements. Operator branded phones are probably last in line, but this shouldn’t surprise anyone and is normally the same for any manufacturer.

He also went on to confirm what the (eventual) update will bring, which we’ve listed below. There are no surprises from what we’ve already learnt. Whilst I understand Sony Ericsson wants to ensure that the update is properly tested, this delay is another kick-in-the-teeth for Xperia X10 owners who have patiently waited for a software upgrade that arguably the phone should have initially shipped with. We’ll keep you posted with any further developments.

Xperia X10 Android 2.1 features:

■HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
    ■Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
    ■New back up and restore application, with extended content back up
    ■5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
    ■Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online
    Xperia X10 mini and X10 mini pro Android 2.1 features:

■Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
    ■New backup and restore application with extended content back up
    ■Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
    ■Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
    ■Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1

This coould very well be my last SE. Software updates are ridiculous. I was really anxious to have my X10 updated to 2.1 at the end of this month, but NO!

Way to go SE!

Device(s)
    Samsung S8
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    This will def be my last SE Product after the problems my friends had with previous SE's now this i was told to stay away but i thought i would roll the dice and guess what i lost..not only are product updates lacking but so is Customer service instead of saying weeks ago sorry no it wont make it out by end of september they wait till its actually the time to put it out and say Sorry not gonna happen..im disgusted by SE and i will never touch their products again

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Communications
    Feedback Score
    this is jus ridiculous, phones r already out with 2.2, the new addition of the "thing of the past" android 2.1 still needs to get delayed. i dont care TOO much abt new os but i need it to hopefully improve the batt life on my xperia coz its miserable even with r2ba026
    Last edited by goldensausage; 09-24-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Device(s)
    Xperia Mini Pro (SK17a)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    If this is the case, SE should forego Eclair and give us FroYo!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    This is my second SE phone, I am perfectly happy with it, and it definitely won't be my last. To be fair I am price sensitive so I find more features for less then I might look at something else, but SE would be my first choice (as long as they have the design/experience I like hence the X10a for me.).

As for the Android version issue I think it is a bit silly. They are not after the hardcore Android market (which is too small anyway) and if someone wants the latest Android the day it gets released get a Google Nexus One (Videotron here in Montreal sells them with their new 3G wireless service for $99).

I personally am happy that they are delaying it because I do not want an upgrade that is going to cause problems. This is something that really annoys me when companies push things out the door that have not been properly tested, and let consumers be beta testers. I paid for a product/service so it should be working and properly tested before hand. When BlackBerry delays a product lunch or update because things are not perfect people do not complain because they expect a well running and reliable experience (I've had BlackBerries in the past). Why should we expect less from any other company especially when they are marketing their products as premium/high end products?

In terms of battery life I have no idea what people are talking about. I am running build number R2BA020 (Rogers in Canada) and I a day and a half out of the phone before I need to charge and I do not use WiFi only 3G. I have updates set to 15 minutes, I use my phone constantly during the day. I watch videos, browse the web, and talk for at least a couple of hours a day. I did, however, when I bought the phone charge and completely discharge the phone 10 times. I dealt with the manager at the cell store that I bought it from and she said to do that to condition the battery and that would help the batter life in the short run, so it might be because of that. Another thing I don't have any of those task killers or whatnot. A friend of mine (I talked with her before buying mine) has all sorts of add ons to her phone to give it a fancy interface and everything like Android 2.2 and so one. Her battery life pays the price because I am guessing that all these things are not optimized for battery life.

Another thing we don't know is why are they delaying it? Is it a stability issue? Are they tweaking battery life? This kind of reminds me of the Windows Vista vs Windows 7 issue, where Windows 7 had the hell tested and tweaked out of it before it launched and because of that everyone loves it.

As for Android 2.2 which phones come with/have it? I mentioned the Google Nexus One. I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (I do not like Bell's cell service so I wanted to stay with Rogers) and that is running Android 2.1.

Another thing to keep in mind the X10 was released in March 2010 and Android 2.2 only came out in May 20, 2010. With the X10 it is not simply a matter of installing 2.2 or 2.1 and you are done. They have to redo they entire custom interface (which is why I bought this phone in the first place) and that takes time.

To end this post I am going to say yes of course I would like Android 2.1 now, or 2.2 for that matter. I would also like to be a billionaire on my private island some place surrounded by lots of women. The thing is that somethings are worth waiting for and worth waiting for them to be done properly. That is my 2 cents, or in this case 2 dollars. LOL

Device(s)
    Samsung S8
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    WoW samsung galaxy already rolling out froyo http://www.androidcentral.com/offici...tarting-europe and yet we are all still stuck on 1.6 *sigh* sad very sad! I know my next new cell will probably be!

Feedback Score
    it sucks ...
    Just start my mobile life!