Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44

Thread: Is Verizon Android 2.2 "3G Mobile Hotspot" a "free" service?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    332
    Device(s)
    ***Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpa View Post
    I'm not quite following.
    But, when the 3G Hotspot uses data, it is using the username [email protected]
    Your phone and any other app that uses data is using the [email protected] username. That is how they are able to have the data coming out of 2 different "buckets". Of course on the Inc it is quite simple to change that tethering username so that everything comes out of the unlimited "bucket".



    EDIT: and, yes Cobalt2112, every app including pdanet or easytether will use the unlimited phone's data. There is no cap on that - not 2gb, not 5gb, no cap.

    Please bear with me. I rememmber back in the WinMo days, the connection set up credentials were: U/N = **********@3gvzw.com and the P/W was vzw. Now I was (kinda) sure in the Tethering setup on the phone required both U/N & P/W. If that is true, would vzw be the password ? Cause I also got the empression the P/W was provided at "sign up time"...

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    16,690
    Device(s)
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bleone9 View Post
    Please bear with me. I rememmber back in the WinMo days, the connection set up credentials were: U/N = **********@3gvzw.com and the P/W was vzw. Now I was (kinda) sure in the Tethering setup on the phone required both U/N & P/W. If that is true, would vzw be the password ? Cause I also got the empression the P/W was provided at "sign up time"...
    I assume so. I haven't seen any hack for being able to change that username on a Moto Android. The Moto users just root and then use wifi tether, which is good as long as your connecting device(s) can use an adhoc connection.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    332
    Device(s)
    ***Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpa View Post
    I assume so. I haven't seen any hack for being able to change that username on a Moto Android. The Moto users just root and then use wifi tether, which is good as long as your connecting device(s) can use an adhoc connection.



    ahhhhhhhh, so us "non-rooters" are screwed !?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    16,690
    Device(s)
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bleone9 View Post
    ahhhhhhhh, so us "non-rooters" are screwed !?
    Just use a Market app: pdanet or easytether. Granted, that pretty much limits you to having to plug in via usb. But data uses lots of power anyway, so the phone would normally have to be plugged in no matter what. Or you can use the slower Bluetooth tethering. Or pay the $20/month for 3G Hotspot.

    Those are sufficient options.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    332
    Device(s)
    ***Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpa View Post
    Just use a Market app: pdanet or easytether. Granted, that pretty much limits you to having to plug in via usb. But data uses lots of power anyway, so the phone would normally have to be plugged in no matter what. Or you can use the slower Bluetooth tethering. Or pay the $20/month for 3G Hotspot.

    Those are sufficient options.

    One more thing and I'll leave ya be. I'am familuar with the pdanet app, so using it I would use the "sign in credentials" I/we were talking about to use on the Droid end for the required info. ?

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,124
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    PdaNet requires no configuration other than enabling USB debugging on the phone.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    332
    Device(s)
    ***Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by frail View Post
    PdaNet requires no configuration other than enabling USB debugging on the phone.
    Is that a setting you would set initially or would need to be done each time we cheat vzw ?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    16,690
    Device(s)
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bleone9 View Post
    Is that a setting you would set initially or would need to be done each time we cheat vzw ?
    Just get the app. It has instructions, of course.
    ... it is simple.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    332
    Device(s)
    ***Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpa View Post
    Just get the app. It has instructions, of course.
    ... it is simple.
    O.K. ,chill bro. It's not our fault your the smartest one on the forum !
    Seriously, thanks for your help. UBDA MAN ! ;-)>

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    1,689
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I wasn't aware that VZW allowed tethering without paying for it. At least if you can get by without them noticing then you'll be fine but if they do, isn't it technically against the TOS to tether without paying?

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    16,690
    Device(s)
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ushneb View Post
    I wasn't aware that VZW allowed tethering without paying for it. At least if you can get by without them noticing then you'll be fine but if they do, isn't it technically against the TOS to tether without paying?
    We've always tethered. It used to be fine, then it wasn't, and now it is a little bit of a gray area. It is hard to justify penalizing someone from using a Market app. Plus VZW would have to manually (put a man on it, at least) go thru your data logs to determine that your traffic had to be coming from a pc tethered to your phone. And then where would they be? It isn't like they block or warn or say anything at all about Market apps like pdanet and easytether.

    Now, if you use 50gb a month of data for a month or three, then they will do exactly what I mentioned above - they will look thru your data logs. Then again, they may not.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    710
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpa View Post
    We've always tethered. It used to be fine, then it wasn't, and now it is a little bit of a gray area.
    I'd be willing to bet that tethering is explicitly disallowed by your customer agreement or terms of service.

    I searched online, and Verizon's legal documents are a nasty web of documents vaguely referencing other documents. I couldn't find all of the applicable documents for a postpaid monthly plan.

    For Mobile Broadband, it says this: "Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect."

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    16,690
    Device(s)
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by balazer View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that tethering is explicitly disallowed by your customer agreement or terms of service.

    I searched online, and Verizon's legal documents are a nasty web of documents vaguely referencing other documents. I couldn't find all of the applicable documents for a postpaid monthly plan.

    For Mobile Broadband, it says this: "Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect."
    I'm sure VZW does not want us tethering without the broadband connect or the 3G Hotspot. There is probably language to that point in various documents. But it isn't all that easy to find, nor is it all that clear. The average user cannot reasonably be expected to understand many of these things that we take for granted. Plus VZW has done nothing to change the way it authenticates tethering - they have left this easy workaround wide open. That means that we are not affecting their pocketbook - it is all about the money, after all.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    618
    Device(s)
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'd say it's clearly defined. Granted as long as you're smart about it and don't go overboard, Verizon won't notice or care. As for the market apps, them being there doesn't make it "legal". Verizon doesn't control what is in the Android market.

    http://support.vzw.com/terms/products/vz_email.html
    Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features
    These Wireless Email plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    16,690
    Device(s)
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    0
    Call 611 ten times.
    Ask each of them about tethering your droid with pdanet.

    If you get less than 9 different responses I would be surprised.
    ... that's what I mean by not-too-clear.

    I'm not arguing that it isn't against the TOS - though I don't think anyone thought I was. I'm just saying ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 06:05 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 09:09 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks