Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do you still use Nokia Phones?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers PAYG
    Feedback Score

Why do you still use Nokia Phones?

http://gizmodo.com/5638921/why-do-eu...e-nokia-phones

With 260,000 phones being sold daily, someone out there is still buying Nokia phones. But who? And more importantly, why? Is it familiarity? Affordability? A belief that nothing else available is as good—or as suitable—for them?.....

Device(s)
    Nokia N8 Motorola XT720
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    The reason that I still use Nokia, is because i never owned or used and N97. Everytime I hear about someone moving to a different brand, it's because of that models performance.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | $10 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING + $20 SPEED BOOST
    Feedback Score
    I just got five Nokia Nurons for my T-Mobile family plan!

It's just as good as an iPhone - if not better, in my opinion! App Store, GPS, Visual Voicemail, plus $25 unlimited family data plan for unlimited 3G data and all it's compatible with my grandfathered rate plan and all of it's features!!

That's why I chose Nokia!
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    1. Design - Physical design and simplistic menu layout... don't need to read the manual.
    2. Quality - durable... plastic pieces are not the substandard kind; not the "accidentally sit on the phone, it breaks" kind. Drop it... faceplate and battery flies off, big gouge/scratches/dents on housing, but put it back together and everything still works fine. And this is even regardless if it was a made in china or finland piece... but the hecho en mexico s40's that I have, have either slow menu navigation or finicky displays that light up or alarms that go off unintentionally.

@tmobiley: could you pm me or post it here if that unlimited family data for 25/month is an old grandfathered option or is that still current? Did they tell you that the family data costs you less because it's for Nuron phones ONLY(OR other non-smart feature phones only) or is your family able to use that data plan for smartphones in the future if you upgrade to smarthphones?
    My pen, my watch, and my phone.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    BELL Canada/
    Feedback Score
    Gizmod is very biased to apple, a typical American who thinks the USA is the world, I am a Nokia fan boy because I like their product, hardware second to none, great battery life, Nokia devices have been doing things for years that new phones are only doing now, multitask or copy paste is an example, software might be old but it is stable works its clean, etc, and not every body drives a Chevy, some people like Toyota or BMW, not every body is a brain washed drone and likes needs or wants an icrap.

my two cents.
    Current Plan:

Galaxy Nexus (Pure Google, Jelly Bean)
    6 GB data with tethering
    300 Daytime minutes
    Free call display
    Free message center
    Free Bell to Bell mobility
    Free evenings and weekends (6pm-8am)
    Free 1st minute incoming calls
    Free unlimited txt
    Free call waiting, conference calling, call forward
    Long distance 8 cents Cda, 20 cents USA

Total with tax: $57 bucks
    Not bad I think.

Save the Planet, its the only one that sells chocolate.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA / Play (Poland)
    Feedback Score
    I've been using Nokias since I was 11, now I am 17 and I since I got my 3410 I never looked back. I then went to 6030 when I moved to the US and basically since then it's been 5300 which was a higher level and now e51 so S60 even higher level.. I guess I'm just so used to it now I don't want to switch.. any why would I? Nokia provides me with great reception, great simplistic yet advanced interface, Symbian opens a lot of possibilities... See no reason to switch at all. Have not had a bad experience with a Nokia as of yet.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I keep Nokia sets with me because i believe they are more reliable than any other mobile manufacturing companies. Thats simple

Feedback Score
    1) I can make/receive calls, no matter how I hold them
    2) Second to none RF performance.. ( I still have 3595 as backup)
    3) Battery life

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordscr View Post
    The reason that I still use Nokia, is because i never owned or used and N97. Everytime I hear about someone moving to a different brand, it's because of that models performance.
    That's what happened to me. I had 4 or 5 different Nokias, each an improvement over the last. Then I got the "flagship" N97 and felt totally ripped off. And abandoned by support. Although that didn't get me to abandon Nokia, it did make me start looking for alternatives. I found BlackBerrys and then Android.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The people that have been buying Nokia smartphones all this time are people who're shopping for one thing only... Value. It's very hard for anyone to compete with what Nokia is offering at the low-end spectrum of the market with handsets like the 5230 and the sleeper hit 5800, which has probably sold >20M devices. Ovi Store, offline turn-by-turn GPS navigation, music, browsing, e-mail, etc. You can own that for a couple hundred bucks - no contract, no SIM lock. It's yours.

We're starting to see some Chinese and Korean handsets poke around in this area, but they aren't as good. And the ones we've seen to date, particularly from the Korean brands, haven't really done all that well.

Let's be real. Nokia hasn't had much to offer customers in the high-end market for well over a year now, and the last offering was the N97. Although it sold very well, it really did more to ruin Nokia's reputation than anything else so if you think about it, it has been even longer since Nokia has had a real high-end device.

But that doesn't mean that Nokia hasn't had the best on offer for the money down at the bottom of the smartphone market, and what people often fail to understand while they're cooing over the high-end market segment is that the low-end dwarfs the high-end in terms of potential customers. And it's less competitive at the moment too. Yeah, you make less money, but you have more people to sell to and you have people who are more likely to stay within your ecosystem if/when they go high-end. Let's also remember that Nokia's incremental costs in delivering devices to the low-end market are paltry in comparison to delivering one to the high end because the platforms and technology are all in place.

What was Nokia's high-end device a few years ago is now their low-end device in a new package. They can make money selling people stuff on an ongoing basis for which the development costs have already been paid.

So that's why so many people pick Nokia. A lot more people out there are looking for value than for the absolute best-of-the-best.

It's like asking why people still drive Fords or Toyotas when you've got companies like BMW and Mercedes making such fine automobiles.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I just got my first Nokia phone, the N900 model on clearance from Nokia USA. This mobile computer/mobile phone is AWESOME. I will list a few reasons.

First, I am typing this message from the 5th floor of a hotel near the Indianapolis airport. The hotel has free Wi-Fi, but it is only .25-.30 Mbps up and down. Knowing that the Ovi Suite software I downloaded (for free) onto my notebook computer allows tethering from my N900 to T-Mobile USA, I decided to give it a try. The results after repeated tests to Speedtest.net are as follows:

8.0-8.4 Mbps down and .48-.56 Mbps up (via T-Mobile HSDPA). WOW!!!!!!!

The N900 has built in Skype and Google Talk clients to easily make audio or video calls over both Wi-Fi and T-Mobile USA 3G, 3.5G. I know they've had this stuff in Japan and parts of Europe for awhile, but making a video call from my N900 (has front facing camera) on 3G to my wife back home on her laptop with Wi-Fi is COOL!

The N900 operating system is stable and does not crash like my old Dell Axim PDA with Windows Mobile 2003. New programs are easily added and removed. I believe the Linux-based OS on this phone is very secure.

The rear facing camera and video recording capabilities on this phone are good enough that you don't need anything more for most situations.

The battery is easily removed on the N900. It has built-in GPS and can also connect to an external bluetooth GPS. The SIM card is easy to remove when you need to and the phone doesn't need a SIM card in it to work (unlike many dumb phones and feature phones).

There is so much to this phone, that a casual review can't do it justice. Most people (in the USA) are clueless about Nokia and what they have to offer. So be it.

I really like my new computer/phone and especially using it with T-Mobile USA!

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    the 250K units being sold daily are average citizens who need a regular mobile phone with a good camera and speakers. the majority of these people are not buying them because they are a "smartphone". they are buying it as a regular phone with an awesome camera. the majority of people who buy an s60 phone do not even know it is a "smartphone". we can all agree that nokia makes excellent hardware and this is what the person sees when they walk into the store.

with that said, that doesnt mean nokia doesnt need to address the high end market, cause they do. that is where they are losing at the moment.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmobiley View Post
    I just got five Nokia Nurons for my T-Mobile family plan!

It's just as good as an iPhone - if not better, in my opinion! App Store, GPS, Visual Voicemail, plus $25 unlimited family data plan for unlimited 3G data and all it's compatible with my grandfathered rate plan and all of it's features!!

That's why I chose Nokia!
    does the iphone have a light that notifies you when you get email? cuz my nuron doesn't.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    the reason nokia is still selling "smart phones" outside NA is because Android does not have it's low end act together as of yet. that's about to change with froyo 2.2 android coming soon for the price of a Nuron. I will take the android every time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid ($50 Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Because they have the best reception. I'll always use them as a backup phone if they can keep that up. I probably won't use them as my main phone again until they get their software and app store out of the dumpster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast