Thread: G2 and UMA?

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play with Mophie battery pack (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.862 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Does anyone know if the G2 coming to T-Mobile will have UMA?

I've heard everything from "yes" to "maybe" to "no way" and I'm really confused.

If it does, I will get it for sure!!

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Guess not. Following post was in the TM/Hotspot forum here

An interesting discussion of T-Mobile's gradual withdrawal from UMA.

http://gigaom.com/2010/09/13/is-t-mo...away-from-uma/
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile non-committal on UMA for Android
    September 14, 2010 — 9:37am ET | By Phil Goldstein

T-Mobile USA is not going to extend its Unlicensed Mobile Access calling feature to its wide array of Android smartphones, according to the blog GigaOM.

According to the blog, a T-Mobile representative said last week that the nation's No. 4 carrier will continue to support UMA calling for Research In Motion's (NASDAQ:RIMM) BlackBerry devices and the Nokia (NYSE:NOK) E73, but didn't mention the carrier's growing line of Android phones. T-Mobile has been one of the strongest supporters of Google's mobile platform.

A T-Mobile spokeswoman told FierceWireless that the carrier has not made any announcements regarding future plans for UMA.

T-Mobile first introduced unlimited WiFi calling for consumers with the launch of its [email protected] service in 2007. The offering allows users to switch between WiFi and the carrier's cellular network. Sprint Nextel (NYSE:S) and Verizon Wireless (NYSE:VZ) have each subsequently launched similar services via their respective femtocell offerings.

Last October, T-Mobile introduced WiFi Calling with MobileOffice, which allows users with T-Mobile BlackBerry devices to have the same number as their desk phone via WiFi. The service hooks into a PBX system, and also allows users to access the feature in other places where they can get onto a WiFi network.

T-Mobile announced in April that it logs 1.6 million WiFi calls per month.

SOURCE: T-Mobile non-committal on UMA for Android - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...#ixzz0zX3qTLWm

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Its really sad too, because UMA actually saves T-Mobile money by routing calls over hotspot vs. cellular networks. Less money, and a android app from T-Mo to work on android phones would be a smash hit.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play with Mophie battery pack (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.862 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That stinks. See this is what confuses me...I heard earlier this year that they were doing UMA "testing" on Android devices. Now this?

They confirmed that it's still for BB and Nokia, but no word on Android? That's not a "no" is it? Then again, it's not a "yes" either.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Have a new school this year; and surprise; No T-Mobile reception.

PLEASE T-MOBILE COME OUT WITH A [email protected] UMA APP for android phones. If this was standard on the G2 I would upgrade.

I don't get why they wouldn't try and make an app, it unloads their cellular network...?

Device(s)
    N1 & G2 next up=Samsung Tab
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Exclamation No UMA for the G2

Well UMA of sorts is coming to future Android devices, but it did not ship on the G2. Let's hope TMO either pushes it out to the G2 or makes an app available. Until then, I'm holding onto my N1.

See the article on Engadget
    Unplugged Since 1999