Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bell Disappointed With CRTC - Rural and Remote Communities Have to Get DSL?

Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Bell Disappointed With CRTC - Rural and Remote Communities Have to Get DSL?

Bell has indicated numerous times that they would use their new wireless network to deploy internet and network service to remote and rural communities.

The CRTC, typical of its slow-moving ways has mandated that carriers run traditional wired high-speed technology to these areas. They don't recognize newer wireless technologies as being better suited to cover remote areas. At least one member of the panel sided with the carriers that wireless would be a better solution.

http://www.bce.ca/en/news/releases/r.../01/75541.html

What do you think?
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Q10 (2014)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-T746/T746BMIH6 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

wouldnt the wired solution be way too much hassle? I think bell should use their own plan because it looks as a much more viable solution

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goku_vegeta View Post
    Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-T746/T746BMIH6 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

wouldnt the wired solution be way too much hassle? I think bell should use their own plan because it looks as a much more viable solution
    since bell will be using money from the "deferral accounts" I believe they have no choice except to build what the crtc has mandated. if they want to deploy HSPA they would have to use their own capital which would affect the profits for the year and mean less money to the shareholders.

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Feedback Score
    I'd be fine with it if Bell offered the same pricing on HSPA as they do on DSL for data.

As it stands, HSPA is a poor substitute for DSL because of the price.

Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tphill View Post
    I'd be fine with it if Bell offered the same pricing on HSPA as they do on DSL for data.

If I remember correctly, the whole point of issuing the HSPA+ network to remote and rural areas was to have it coincide with wireline-internet pricing up there because it would be the only game in town. Essentially Bell wanted the CRTC to remove their references to wire-based solutions so Bell would be free to substitute with HSPA+...

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    In remote areas, I think it'd be better if the HSPA Internet service was provided instead of DSL, given that it costs much more reasonable to use X amount of data/bandwidth.

I'm disappointed with the CRTC as well. Dissolve it already!
    Fido Lines

$25 Standard Plan
    $30 6GB Data
    --------
    $39 Smart Plan with 600MB Data
    --------
    $19 Standard Plan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Although I don't disagree wireless is a better thought. If they had not ignored the rural areas for as long as they have (to save money) they wouldn't have had their hand forced by the CRTC to begin with.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What I question are the cap that will be offered via wireless. Bell is already stingy with their caps on DSL, the mainstream 6mbps service has a 25GB cap.

What kind of modern 'broadband experience' (with streaming video getting more and more popular) are people going to have with something even lower, like a lousy 5-10GB or something?

Of course Bell wouldn't be too concerned with this (streaming video), these rural areas typically don't have cable either but they'll happily sell you their satellite service for your video needs...

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Curve 8330: BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.423 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/331)

Quote Originally Posted by tphill

The rural communities that are effected get special pricing for the hspa service. Essentially customer pays much less and bell gets diff from government (I assume in tax breaks).

They did same thing in specific 902 areas like a year ago
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    the one dissenting member from the crtc just happens to be a former private sector telco industry dude....ex rogers and bell dude!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by darn View Post
    the one dissenting member from the crtc just happens to be a former private sector telco industry dude....ex rogers and bell dude!
    There's a shocker

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8100 Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    well, of course Bell wants to use its wireless service, for a few reasons.

1. Cost to Deploy.

a wireless network would cost a fraction of what a wired network would cost to cover rural areas.

2. Network Sharing.

if it is a wired network, Bell will be forced to open that network for the competition to use to compete against Bell...with wireless, they have their own network and don't have to share it with anyone (unless they want to).

3. Pricing

wireless data is already a fortune...imagine if your wireless data plan was your only internet service??...it would probably cost $100/month...Bell could just reply with "Then use dialup" or "It is really expensive to offer service in these remote areas so that is why the data plans are so much money".
    Sammy740: It's ironically called BlueChips...something Bell isn't.
    Bell's new marketing slogan: Over promise, Under deliver.
    "System Access Fees are charged by all wireless companies to help pay for the network and the ongoing software, technology and other upgrades to that network. Generally, the higher the fee, the greater the opportunity to invest in network quality to enhance your experience. Just one more reason to choose Bell. "

Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjeffer View Post
    well, of course Bell wants to use its wireless service, for a few reasons.
    3. Pricing

wireless data is already a fortune...imagine if your wireless data plan was your only internet service??...it would probably cost $100/month...Bell could just reply with "Then use dialup" or "It is really expensive to offer service in these remote areas so that is why the data plans are so much money".
    I think it's finally time to put this thing to rest. Keep in mind that Bell includes access to education institutions with this buildout and that is taxpayer subsidized.

Also, I have to disagree with you on the fundamental assumption that wireless data still costs "a fortune" as I now have a number of friends, clients, and some of my office co-horts who have moved over to using an internet stick with a Cradlepoint, or the Bell Turbohub and they are not paying a "fortune" - the pricing is comparable to what they'd be charged for reliable wireline DSL. One of my guys has an EVDO data stick with bell and he pays $25 a month and has NEVER hit his cap. None of the cradlepoints (hooked to U998 HSPA+ sticks) in Muskoka have ever hit their caps and they're being used by entire families who sit on docs and fiddle with their laptops and netbooks while they get their Muskoka tans... I see all the bills for these...

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjeffer View Post
    3. Pricing

$49.95 was the subsidized price. Almost same as what a DSL would cost you so hardly really expensive.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 (64GB) (factory unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility (thanks retentions!)
    Feedback Score
    Another thing the CRTC may have forgotten: there are lots of rural/remote communities that do not have cellular coverage, which is a bit of a problem for people visiting/driving through/etc. If wireless infrastructure is built to provide Internet access to the locals, it can also be used by visitors; a DSL line, though, won't do much good to somebody in a car on a road a mile away...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast